Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Terrible Fuel Mileage
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrob95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

Hey guys, I started dailly driving my project super beetle. Its a 1972. Its got a dual port 1600 with a brand new 30 pict 1. Car starts up great and runs pretty good, I did the timing and valves and it has brand new plugs, wires, points and cap.

The auto choke doesnt seem to function correctly, I think I need to rewire it. Would that be causing the car to get poor mileage? By poor, I mean my work is 27 Miles away. I filed up right near the house, drove it to work and drove it back and it used almost 6 gallons of gas which would mean almost 10mpg... Anything to check? It does seem to fall on its face quite a bit when you're going 55+ and have any small incline.

Edit: Should also mention that the charcoal canister isnt hooked up. Currently I have the vent just going outside the car.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

Start with basics. Does the choke fully open after about 5 minutes? If not, start there... wiring and adjustment.

Check dwell/point gap and timing.

What distributor are you using? It has to be a good match for the carb.
Morrob95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Start with basics. Does the choke fully open after about 5 minutes? If not, start there... wiring and adjustment.

Check dwell/point gap and timing.

What distributor are you using? It has to be a good match for the carb.

The distributor is the aa10 or whatever its called. I also have an svda gapless distributor that's brand new that I could throw on. But I dont think the svda one plays well with the carb from what I read.
Choke sometimes works as intended, sometimes it doesnt step down at all. I noticed the wires are pretty frayed so I definitely need to do that .. Point gap and timing just done. It starts up within a second of cranking even this morning when it was 30 degrees outside. Its only after driving it for 30min+ shutting it off and then restarting that I have to crank on it for 3-5 seconds for it to start. I'll definitely knock out the wiring tonight for the choke. I noticed some seepage around the fuel pump as well. I have a block plate and an electric fuel pump on hand, I may try that as well if you guys think its worth doing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

Fix that choke wire ASAP!

It connects to the coil on the ignition side, and that wire is UNFUSED. A short will fry the ignition wire and that may cause you to replace the entire wiring harness!

Then we'll talk about vacuum leaks and that damn EGR device...
Morrob95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

It connects to the coil on the ignition side, and that wire is UNFUSED. A short will fry the ignition wire and that may cause you to replace the entire wiring harness!

Will do! I'll run to autozone for some of those little connectors after work. The way its currently wired, its spliced to the solenoid thing on the left side of the carb, should it be like that or two separate wires to the ignition side?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

Morrob95 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Will do! I'll run to autozone for some of those little connectors after work. The way its currently wired, its spliced to the solenoid thing on the left side of the carb, should it be like that or two separate wires to the ignition side?

Stock they joined at the fuel cutoff solenoid, and that's fine. Just make sure the action of the throttle or accel pump cannot pinch the wires. A short there starts burning the wire like a fuse... ask me how I know!
Morrob95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Morrob95 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Stock they joined at the fuel cutoff solenoid, and that's fine. Just make sure the action of the throttle or accel pump cannot pinch the wires. A short there starts burning the wire like a fuse... ask me how I know!

Alright so good news! It fixed the idling high and now it steps down great! I went ahead and redid all the shitty connections. Idles fantastic now. One issue I'm noticing is I'm having to have my foot to the ground to maintain 50-55 and even the slightest incline she goes down to around 45. I assume it should make at least a bit more power. Maybe that has something to do with the MPG?

Also, bottom picture is the seepage. I cleaned the entire engine after rewiring the stuff and took it on a 5-10 mile drive and this is the seepage. Could that be the power loss?

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

Ae you sure that carburetor is a 30 PICT-1 and not an H30/31 PICT?

At any rate it looks like your fuel leak is coming out the hinge pin for the fuel pump pushrod. Is it possible the pin is working its way out of its hole? (This happens sometimes when there is no circlip holding the pin against the fuel pump or when it's missing.)
That pin also looks kind of damaged, may just be the picture though.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

10mpg is pretty normal for off-road driving, maybe stay on the road Wink

Assuming tire pressure and alignment are fairly sorted...Do the regular tune-up stuff. Adjust the valves cold, and confirm timing, points, plug gap, and dwell. This may require some more tools, like feeler gauges, tach-dwell meter, and timing light. It looks like your distributor is not seated into the case fully..? Easy enough fix. You want to make sure the distributor rotor is never skipping, which could cause erratic timing/running.

After you do all this stuff, and you feel good about gaskets and lack of vacuum leaks, you can tune the carburetor, once the engine is totally warm.

Is that EGR connection tube actually connected underneath?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

I think you should fix each problem one at a time, so you find out what the REAL problem is. If you change 3 things and then check your mileage, you don't know which of the 3 things is the problem meaning that the other 2 items may be regarded as defective when they are not. But definitely fix the obvious issues first.

The other thing I would do, given your poor mileage, is to check if you have fuel in your oil from a ruptured fuel pump diaphragm. Fuel that ends up in the oil can "flash" off as the engine heats up and gets ejected from the engine via the blow-by or recovery system which may be fitted, so it might not be obvious how much is actually being lost in the oil.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

I'd also temporarily remove the air filter and see if your power increases. A filter like that can block and you don't notice it and "chokes" your engine meaning you have excess fuel with insufficient air. It is like driving with your choke on. Idles OK, but acceleration is poor as is maximum speed.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

What about that EGR valve? Is it actually connected somewhere below the rear tin? Wouldn't a bad connection somewhere along its length cause a vacuum leak? In turn causing the carb to be adjusted too rich in order to maintain idle? Just throwing ideas out there....I've never had a Bug w/a connected EGR valve.

My main concern is that weepy fuel pump. Not so much for MPG, but for fire.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

Check for vacuum leaks. Intake manifold boots and that EGR valve can be culprits. You might adjust the carb at idle to compensate and then it's out of whack at higher throttle (lower vacuum) conditions. So make sure you have no leaks first.
Morrob95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Ae you sure that carburetor is a 30 PICT-1 and not an H30/31 PICT?

At any rate it looks like your fuel leak is coming out the hinge pin for the fuel pump pushrod. Is it possible the pin is working its way out of its hole? (This happens sometimes when there is no circlip holding the pin against the fuel pump or when it's missing.)
That pin also looks kind of damaged, may just be the picture though.

Matt Wilson wrote:
10mpg is pretty normal for off-road driving, maybe stay on the road Wink

Assuming tire pressure and alignment are fairly sorted...Do the regular tune-up stuff. Adjust the valves cold, and confirm timing, points, plug gap, and dwell. This may require some more tools, like feeler gauges, tach-dwell meter, and timing light. It looks like your distributor is not seated into the case fully..? Easy enough fix. You want to make sure the distributor rotor is never skipping, which could cause erratic timing/running.

After you do all this stuff, and you feel good about gaskets and lack of vacuum leaks, you can tune the carburetor, once the engine is totally warm.

Is that EGR connection tube actually connected underneath?

viiking wrote:
I think you should fix each problem one at a time, so you find out what the REAL problem is. If you change 3 things and then check your mileage, you don't know which of the 3 things is the problem meaning that the other 2 items may be regarded as defective when they are not. But definitely fix the obvious issues first.

The other thing I would do, given your poor mileage, is to check if you have fuel in your oil from a ruptured fuel pump diaphragm. Fuel that ends up in the oil can "flash" off as the engine heats up and gets ejected from the engine via the blow-by or recovery system which may be fitted, so it might not be obvious how much is actually being lost in the oil.

viiking wrote:
I'd also temporarily remove the air filter and see if your power increases. A filter like that can block and you don't notice it and "chokes" your engine meaning you have excess fuel with insufficient air. It is like driving with your choke on. Idles OK, but acceleration is poor as is maximum speed.

vamram wrote:
What about that EGR valve? Is it actually connected somewhere below the rear tin? Wouldn't a bad connection somewhere along its length cause a vacuum leak? In turn causing the carb to be adjusted too rich in order to maintain idle? Just throwing ideas out there....I've never had a Bug w/a connected EGR valve.

My main concern is that weepy fuel pump. Not so much for MPG, but for fire.

KTPhil wrote:
Check for vacuum leaks. Intake manifold boots and that EGR valve can be culprits. You might adjust the carb at idle to compensate and then it's out of whack at higher throttle (lower vacuum) conditions. So make sure you have no leaks first.

So to be completely honest, I don't know about which carb it is. From what the P/O told me, it was a pict 30/1. I ordered the 34/3 but when it came in it was faulty. Ended up buying this one and it was listed as a 30/1 and it fired right up.

Can I just unplug the EGR and plug both ends? The one on the EGR itself and the one going to the carb?

I've just adjusted valves about 300 miles ago along with the points and timing the distributor. This distributor has definitely seen better days but I have a full svda that I can throw in. Its also a pointless system so I'll probably tackle that just for that reason alone.

With the weepy fuel pump, is there any reason not to just use the block off plate and run an electronic one at this point? Couldn't I just wire it to the ignition coil?

Thanks for the help guys.

Also, no off-roading for this bug, just trying to make it my daily. I put 100k miles on my 2014 bmw in the last 2 years.. Its at 150k now! Gotta stop doing that lol

Oh, alignment seems good, it drives/stops straight and the tires aren't wearing weird at all. It actually surprised me how straight it drives for how old it is.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

It it were me, I’d get a proper OEM air filter from the Samba parts Classifieds. That silly thing you have on there is crap, and as it stands, your preheat stovepipe has no conduit, so it’s not connected to your air cleaner. Consequently, it is pumping hot air (that has passed over your heads) into the engine compartment. Not a good thing on other than winter days.

I’d remove the EGR system and, fashioning a gasket, block off that EGR port at the manifold.

Look on the left side of the carburetor bowl. It will tell you if you have an H 30/31, or whatever else it is.

Here’s how it should look.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

Here’s how to block off the EGR port on the manifold. Fashion a gasket and rectangular piece of metal with two holes drilled in it at the appropriate places.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

You have a "009" distributor which is mechanical advance only. It will run ok with a 30 PICT series. carburetor when all else is dialed in. It will typically not play well if you run a 34 PICT 3 carburetor.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Here’s how it should look.

Tim

Very nice, Tim! Shows a LOT of hard work Smile
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

Check to see if you're getting proper advance on that distributor. If it's not advancing, you will get terrible performance and power.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Terrible Fuel Mileage Reply with quote

Nobody has mentioned this, but an 009 distributor has to be timed with a timing light, and for total advance, not to the factory settings. You need to find out where 28 to 30 degrees is on your pulley. There are degree wheels you can print and position over your pulley, then create a mark on your pulley at 30 degrees. With the motor running, you bring the speed up until the distributor stops advancing, at this point you should be at 28 to 30 degrees. You dont want to go above 30 degrees, as it can cause detonation (pinging), and damage your motor. Where the timing sits at idle doesnt matter with an 009 distributor. If you are not timing like this with an 009 distributor, yyou are not getting full advance, and not the best performance. Of course after doing this youll have to reset your carburetor adjustments.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: