Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Full Flow case question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Full Flow case question Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I stole this pic from a thread by @evanfrucht
I am using a CP maxi flow oil pump for full flow but I still planned to drill and tap a plug in the oil pump outlet port on the case. The oil obviously normally flows from there along the galley I have marked in red and to the hole I have circled. So my question is when I put in the fitting here do I want to leave that hole unblocked due to other places in the case that get fed from there or do you want to try to block it off to keep oil from pooling needlessly in that galley? Looking at this pic does it feed the front main bearing?

Also I am considering pulling the plugs and using threaded brass ones like Evan did. Are there any tips for pulling the plugs? I fought with the one for the full flow for quite a while. TIA!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Flow case question Reply with quote

Just plug the oil pump outlet hole in the case-I forget if it is 3/8 or 1/4 NPT.
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Full Flow case question Reply with quote

So is it OK to block the hole I have circled with the hose fitting or needs to be left open?
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Flow case question Reply with quote

Hey! Nice pic Cool Wink

Not exactly sure now that you mention it... But unless I'm missing some something that hole shouldn't or at least does NOT need to be plugged or blocked. I did not.

I think that passage might lead to somewhere else other than just the oil pump outlet?

If you do not have a slide hammer then I would get one if you want to make it easier. Drill a small hole in the plug you want to remove, then screw in a sheetmetal screw w/ at least 2 or three threads engaged.attach slide hammer and really slam the weight back hard, should pop in one go. It's best to have the engine cases bolted and secured to the stand when you do this so you can give it the force it needs. Hope that helps.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Flow case question Reply with quote

Is that an In and Out pump?

Or just a pump plugged at the outlet?

On a normal full flow setup you plug the hole you have circled, but you do so at the pump outlet side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Flow case question Reply with quote

The way the CB maxi pump single out pump is cast/machined eliminated the need for plugging the actual pump housing. I still plugged the case where it makes contact with the pump housing to prevent the possibly of oil pressure bleed off thru that point. No other mods are neccesary if you do it that way.

If you are NOT using a CB Maxi pump, and instead have a full flow kit that utilizes the regular original style pump housing, you should plug the outlet on the circumference of the actual pump as well as the one on the case on the inside circumference of the hole that the oil pump fits into.
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Flow case question Reply with quote

Yes I am using the CB maxi pump made for full flow so I had the same thought as you to plug the pump outlet port in the case to keep oil from trying to leak around the pump. I guess I will use a shallow return line fitting in case that opening does feed another area.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Flow case question Reply with quote

Another vote in favor. I'm building right now with a CB Maxi pump and plugged the case as well, as described, for the reasons given.

Additionally, my pump fits barely snug in the case, I'd prefer much tighter. It is both the case's and the pump's fault, but mainly the case's fault. I'm o-ringing the pump and plugging the case to ensure the ONLY way the pump has to get oil is through the inlet port. No air from around the body, and no bleed-by from the case port.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Flow case question Reply with quote

It does not feed another area…no need for a shallow thread on return fitting

bw65vw wrote:
Yes I am using the CB maxi pump made for full flow so I had the same thought as you to plug the pump outlet port in the case to keep oil from trying to leak around the pump. I guess I will use a shallow return line fitting in case that opening does feed another area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Flow case question Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
It does not feed another area…no need for a shallow thread on return fitting

bw65vw wrote:

Thanks txoval!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: