Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odd very odd.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

I was cranking the engine bolt to gap my points.
When I turned it my bumper would push out.
Not my imagination.
When it was running it didn’t move.
What the heck?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TrollFromDownBelow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

I'm thinking your bus was in gear. Make sure it is neutral.
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

Oh dear.
Yes it was.
Why would it move my bumper?

Do I need to redo the gap?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

Norma wrote:
Oh dear.
Yes it was.

It is easier to set the gap if you remove the distributor from the engine and do the work on the bench. Just remove the 13mm nut and washer that hold the clamp to the engine and DO NOT loosen the 10mm nut that holds the clamp tight to the distributor so that the distributor will remain in time.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

Norma wrote:
Oh dear.
Yes it was.

Because it was moving the whole car

Smile
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

Norma wrote:
I was cranking the engine bolt to gap my points.
When I turned it my bumper would push out.

You should turn the nut on the alternator instead, the bolt on the crank is undersized and if it breaks or comes loose disaster awaits. With the belt tight and a wrench on the alternator nut, you can apply pressure on the slack side of the belt with your fingers to prevent slippage.
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Norma wrote:
Oh dear.
Yes it was.

Smile

Ahhh yes, the simple wonders of life.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Norma wrote:
Oh dear.
Yes it was.

Smile

Ahhh yes, the simple wonders of life.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Norma wrote:
Oh dear.
Yes it was.

It is easier to set the gap if you remove the distributor from the engine and do the work on the bench. Just remove the 13mm nut and washer that hold the clamp to the engine and DO NOT loosen the 10mm nut that holds the clamp tight to the distributor so that the distributor will remain in time.

This ^^^^^

Also, I like to keep a backup distributor in the bus as a spare. I set the gap and timing, leave the clamp on as Wildthings suggests, and then pull it as the spare. This way I can plug and play the spare distributor and only need a 13mm wrench to make the change. No tweaking and adjusting on the side of the road since the points gap / dwell & timing are already set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

use a dwell meter and you can do that job a lot easier than with a feeler gauge.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
use a dwell meter and you can do that job a lot easier than with a feeler gauge.
With a dwell meter you can do the job correctly.
Norma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

Moving the whole bus!!

THANK YOU!!!

I knew it was an impossible to move the bumper. Duh
Rolling Eyes
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

hang in there Norma. You get an A+ for effort and another for transparency.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
SGKent wrote:
With a dwell meter you can do the job correctly.

Except that all point systems I have dealt with use a point gap of 0.016-0.020" while the dwell varies all over. If you go for dwell and the point gap isn't enough the points will arc excessively, will not last long, and give you a week spark.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

Quote:
while the dwell varies all over.

wandering dwell usually means that the distributor is worn out and the shaft is wobbling. Dwell should be rock steady. Send it to Bill to be rebuilt.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:

wandering dwell usually means that the distributor is worn out and the shaft is wobbling. Dwell should be rock steady. Send it to Bill to be rebuilt.

The specified dwell varies from engine to engine, with V8s having about half the dwell of a four cylinder engine, yet they both have 0.016-0.020" of gap, same gap as for an old single cylinder law mower.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

after all that I need a drink. Dancing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

Once you hit 70 Norma, you become completely immune to embarrassment of oops and screwups because you forget them in the race to the bathroom.

“Moving the bumper” was 100% correct, of course.

Last edited by Abscate on Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

I must be better then most Iam 60 and doing that now. Shocked
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Odd very odd. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Quote:

The specified dwell varies from engine to engine, with V8s having about half the dwell of a four cylinder engine, yet they both have 0.016-0.020" of gap, same gap as for an old single cylinder law mower.
Mike - the dwell is determined by the number of lobes and profile. It should be rock solid when measured. It is the relationship between the time points are open and closed. If that is varying at idle or medium RPM then it usually means that the distributor shaft is wobbling, and that wobble is changing the relationship between open and closed. If it is changing at high RPM then the points may be floating or bouncing due to a weak spring or sticky mechanism. Technically, dwell angle is defined as the amount of time the contact breaker points are closed (current flowing through the primary ignition circuit) and it is measured in degrees of distributor shaft rotation. Change the number of cylinders and the number of lobes are changed too. That is why the dwell setting is different on 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines. But it is the optimal way to set the point gap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: