Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr.vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have experience with the Michelin Aegilis Crossclimate Tires 205/65R15C? I was hoping to mount them on my 1984 Tin Top and they seemed like a rock solid choice....

I was hoping to fit these on my 15 inch rims (dimensions in the image below, 15 x 6.5). However, Mark at Adria Imports who really really knows his stuff was a bit hesitant as he hadn't dealt with these tires before. After ordering the tires into his shop he was a bit concerned that they looked like truck tires (which they are, they are light truck tires and they have fairly aggressive treads). These seem to have pretty great reviews online and on the Samba in previous posts.

However, I also am inexperienced and trust Mark's judgement much more than mine. He was recommending Vancontact Winter tires for my 15 inch rims. However, given that the Vanagon will really only be used for weekend trips (or week long trips at most) and may not even be ready in time for this winter season I'm hesitant to buy seperate 3 seasons and winters when a good all weather tire like the Cross Climate Aegilis might cut it perfectly for my weekend Whistler trips and summer trips. Could be money much better spent by just having a single good set of all weathers.

I hope to hear your opinions on whether this might be a good choice before I spend 1000+ on the set + mounting. I have also attached a picture of my 15 inch rims and the tires. As well as some pictures from other posts showing their own vanagons with these tires on.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

For driving on snow and ice I like more siping than those tires have.
dr.vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Good to know Smile
Honestly in the PNW/Vancouver and the surrounding areas we hardly get thick snow and ice. Even near the base of Whistler Mountain snow tends to melt quick especially on those busy roads. That said you do get the occasional big dump. These are 3 peak snowflake tires but just not as aggressive as full on winters. They seem to perform quite well in snow based on the ratings and head to heads I looked at!
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

I have no experience with those exact tires, but the specs on them are more than adequate for the van. You want to have an LT tire in my opinion. I may look at them for my next set.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

I am looking for new tires for a 15" also. I was recently recommended Nokian WRC3 205/70 R15. I hear great things about them off road and also on snow. I may look into them more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Muftobration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

I have this exact setup: Michelin Agelis CrossClimate 205/65R15 on GoWesty 15" Mercedes 8-hole knock-offs, just like in the pictures you posted. My van is even the same color. Smile

I really like them. They are quiet on the road, have never slipped unexpectedly on me, even recently going down hill over wet leaves, and they are wearing slowly. I've put just under 20k miles on them since I had them installed in the summer of 2019 and they have about 70% tread left, I'd estimate. I don't drive in winter, so I can't tell you how well they work as a snow tire.
Hounddogs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

I also have the same combo tires and wheels in the exact same size. I put them on approximately 8,000 miles ago and love them! Lots of pleasingly quiet and smooth freeway driving as well as miles over rough forest service roads from Washington and through Wyoming and they’ve been great. Good traction, and they seem to be wearing well.

‘83 Westfalia (Sold)
‘81 Westfalia (Burned up on the side of the freeway in 1986)
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Yep.
If you wanted to invest the time in finding a tire shop that can do that it is possible to get them to cut more sip's into the tire, but there are other tires on the market with more.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

Are those right hand and left hand mounted? No cross rotation without dismounting? No thanks.

J
dr.vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
Are those right hand and left hand mounted? No cross rotation without dismounting? No thanks.

J

Why would this be an issue? You can rotate front to back? I’ll hardly be putting near 6000km a year on the van tbh, so I’ll definitely be rotating my tires but probably not more than once a year IF THAT.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Yep.
If you wanted to invest the time in finding a tire shop that can do that it is possible to get them to cut more sip's into the tire, but there are other tires on the market with more.

The Nokian tires mentioned above have plenty of sipes from the factory as do many others.

The first heavily siped tires I ever ran where Bandag recaps, that a recapping shop wanted me to test for them. They proved to be the best winter tires I had ever used up to that time.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

dr.vanagon wrote:
jberger wrote:

J

Why would this be an issue? You can rotate front to back? I’ll hardly be putting near 6000km a year on the van tbh, so I’ll definitely be rotating my tires but probably not more than once a year IF THAT.

Tire lugs tend to wear on the trailing edge, rotating front to back does nothing to even this out. I don't buy directional tires for any of my rides (unless it is performance oriented staggered setups). YMMV.

J
syncro2x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

I have those Michelins on my 87 Westy and am very happy with them. Park it in winter so not sure how they handle ice and snow. Tires are very smooth and quite. Was shocked how quite when I replaced my Nokians. Nokians also burned out way to early for my liking. Have found Michelins go the distance.
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

I have the Agilis CCs on my tin top and love them. I have Nokians on my Westy and when it comes time to replace them, I’ll go with the Agilis CCs. Not because I’m unhappy with the Noks but because the availability of the ACCs.
2018 Ford F-350 Platinum, Ruby Red Metallic
2017 Mercedes GLE350, Polar White
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Yep.

The Nokian tires mentioned above have plenty of sipes from the factory as do many others.

The first heavily siped tires I ever ran where Bandag recaps, that a recapping shop wanted me to test for them. They proved to be the best winter tires I had ever used up to that time.

If it is one thing Nokian knows it is sipping a tire!
I would definitely double check the date code before you buy Nokians as I am having an issue with them with more then 40% thread life remaining.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=940

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

You say these Michelin Aegillis tires have the three peak/snowflake rating. That means it meets standards for a winter/snow tire that are more stringent than M+S (mud and snow). I don't know the details of the testing but I'm sure there's some science and consistency behind it so with that and positive reviews here and elsewhere I'd have confidence in those tires for PNW rain and snow if I wasn't going to use pure winter tires.

I like Nokians a lot and the Nokian WRC3 is a fine tire. You can see the siping here and I found it does well at 75mph on the interstate in summer (quiet, comfortable) as well in light duty snow conditions.

Lots of siping...

A picture of the van on WRC3s on a snow forest service road (I always carry chains because these tires have limits)...

My guess is that you wouldn't go wrong with either the Michelin or Nokian tires.

As for quality, I really like Nokian tires but I've had one fail at 7 years (past it's due date and Nokian is clear that they recommend against driving 6 year+ tires) but I also had a set of Nokian passenger car tires replaced by Nokian due to a quality issue at less than 20K miles. At least one other here has posted of multiple Nokian failures.

Install the Nokians, you'll love 'em. Tires are complicated, make a choice and live with it, they'll wear/age out and then you get to make a different choice. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dr.vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
You say these Michelin Aegillis tires have the three peak/snowflake rating. That means it meets standards for a winter/snow tire that are more stringent than M+S (mud and snow). I don't know the details of the testing but I'm sure there's some science and consistency behind it so with that and positive reviews here and elsewhere I'd have confidence in those tires for PNW rain and snow if I wasn't going to use pure winter tires.

I like Nokians a lot and the Nokian WRC3 is a fine tire. You can see the siping here and I found it does well at 75mph on the interstate in summer (quiet, comfortable) as well in light duty snow conditions.

Lots of siping...

A picture of the van on WRC3s on a snow forest service road (I always carry chains because these tires have limits)...

My guess is that you wouldn't go wrong with either the Michelin or Nokian tires.

As for quality, I really like Nokian tires but I've had one fail at 7 years (past it's due date and Nokian is clear that they recommend against driving 6 year+ tires) but I also had a set of Nokian passenger car tires replaced by Nokian due to a quality issue at less than 20K miles. At least one other here has posted of multiple Nokian failures.

Install the Nokians, you'll love 'em. Tires are complicated, make a choice and live with it, they'll wear/age out and then you get to make a different choice. Very Happy

Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply Smile I totally agree and think I’ll go with the Nokians given my mechanics hesitation with the Michelin’s. Can I bug you to take a look at my post here and chime in regarding whether my rims are okay for the job and that I’ve picked the right Nokian size for my rims? I’m confident in my judgement buttttt still want to make sure Smile

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=761225&highlight=
dr.vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Yep.

If it is one thing Nokian knows it is sipping a tire!
I would definitely double check the date code before you buy Nokians as I am having an issue with them with more then 40% thread life remaining.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=940

Amazing! Thanks Steve, can I bug you to verify that my rims will fit the Nokians I’ve selected and that they won’t need extra modification to fit on the van? I believe I’ll be in good shape but hoping to make sure given my complete inexperience. The post I’m referring to is in the link below but hasn’t gotten traction. I posted all the details of my rims and tire selection: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=761225&highlight=
breakfastofvanagons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Michelin CrossClimate Aegilis Tires for my 15" Steel Rims Reply with quote

Michelin has issued a RECALL for the Agilis Crossclimate:

https://business.michelinman.com/why-michelin/safety-recalls/recall-april-2023

I found out by calling Costco while shopping for new tires for my vanagon and it turns out that the C-Metric (symmetrical) version of the the Agilis Crossclimate fails to perform in the snow and does not live up to its 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake Symbol. The other shape of this tire for larger trucks and vans called the LT metric (asymmetrical) is not recalled because it does perform n the snow, it the Pontiac shaped version that would be on a Vanagon is the one being recalled. The Costco technician said they expected the new version of the Agilis Crossclimate from Michelin to be available in November of 2023. The new version will have passed the TPMS testing.

I was about to purchase these tires and will probably wait for the new version or just get Nokian WR C3 in the same size which of course will work well in snow becases they are from Nokian.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: