Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat choices
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryLee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Seat choices Reply with quote

I’m not a very good welder, but I can do a little something. What seats would be easiest to make fit into a 71 superbeetle? I’m trying to do things myself and the wrecking yard in my area sells all seats for $32. I’ve heard a couple of guys say they have Dodge Neon seats in their VW’s. My car is not original and I don’t care for the seats that are in it. I don’t plan on messing with the rails on the floorpans so I can always put the original seats back in if I choose.
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat choices Reply with quote

You will probably get many suggestions, I limited my search to newer VW's.
Take a look at Sport models of Golfs, Jettas, and Passats, these may be the easiest to fit.

I also grabbed a set of really sporty seats from a 2004 Beetle, but they will have to be modified to work properly, the 3pt mounting on the newer seats is wider than the old ones.

Good Luck
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat choices Reply with quote

I think you can make anything fit. I have some BMW m5 seats in my baja, very wide, abought 22 ", but fricking comfortable. I suggest late model foreign sports car vehicle seats will be the best. If you can get ones that come from a 2 door they will have a latch for quickly folding the seat forward for back seat access. Many seats may not have that.
old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Seat choices Reply with quote

Audi TT in mine and heated also enough room to get to heater controls and hand brake and still be able to shut the door
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Seat choices Reply with quote

I grafted in seats from a 1990 VW Cabriolet into my 68 standard. Welded in the 3 point mounts like later bugs used. This presented challenges, as the MK 2 seats were wider than the space between the center hump and the heater channel. It took some surgery to make them fit. If you want to stick with VW seats, probably anything from a MK 1 Jetta/Golf whatever will be narrower, and will fit if you want to use them. I think you will have to remove your existing seat rails, as the front seat support for those seats needs to go there.
I looked at seats and seat mounts from later VWs like a MK 5 Jetta. They have sweet seats and mounts that would just bolt in. Problem is they are too wide. As time goes on car seats get wider (as our butts get wider).
If you go to a salvage yard looking for seats I would take a measuring tape with you and see how wide the mounts are. You may need to sacrifice those old seat rails though.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hulbyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat choices Reply with quote

Mazda MX5 or Miata fit well as do early Porsche tombstones. I am fitting Opel 2 door seats in my '68 (Recaro copies) as well as aftermarket seat heaters.
Cheers
snowymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Seat choices Reply with quote

Mitsubishi Eclipse seats fit in the space. I used a set on a fiberglass dune buggy once... darn comfy Smile
HaggardMelon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat choices Reply with quote

I just ordered a set of these. I don't weld (yet) and don't have access to one. This seemed like a decent choice.

https://www2.cip1.com/c15-80-1300-52-wa/
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat choices Reply with quote

Corbeau A4 Wide-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Install thread-
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=761371

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat choices Reply with quote

BMW e30 sports(recaro) seats.

you dont even need to weld anything. just remove your old seat rails and drill 4 holes. and for peace in mind id weld the nuts to the pan underneath,

or, you can use the same seats, and make an adapter bracket. if you do a search, theres a thread on installing these seats and making adapter.

oh, and the e30 sports seats are sexy AF.

many of the 80s audi and vw seats will fit via the same install methods.

^^^ lingwendil's A4's also look fantastic in later model cars. check out his thread on install and review. i think they are a little pricy tho.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: