Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon paint color and window seal questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

Hi,

My Vanagon is at the shop right now getting bodywork fixed and getting a new paintjob (whooohoooo!).

Got a couple questions. Hoping someone can help me.

1. The shop owner was having trouble finding the right white. This is for an '87 Vanagon. He hadn't done too much digging yet, but I mentioned I could ask here in case anyone else had already done the research and had an answer.

2. The glass shop he works with said they couldn't do the windows because they weren't able to source the seals to replace them. Again I figured someone here might be able to point me to what I might need. UPDATE: while writing this post, I found this collection on busdepot (https://www.busdepot.com/details/vanagonrubber) which seems like it may be my only option. Does anyone have any tips here or anything to look out for or know of any other options? (the kit on go westy is currently sold out) Looks like I can go for seals with or without the chrome trim. Is that choice just about aesthetics and cost or are there any other factors to consider here?

Thanks in advance!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

Why do you need to replace the glass rubber?

Duncan
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

UPDATE: It looks like the seals without the trim are much less expensive. I hadn't looked closely enough to realize how big the price difference was when first hitting Publish above. Busdepot also mentions on their site that the "chrome" tends to fade before the seals, which I can attest to-mine looks like crap, but the seals are mostly OK.

So it looks like I'm going to be opting for the seals without the chrome.
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

Duncan

Mostly because the "chrome strip" on the existing seals looks like crap.

I think it's also a fair guess that the seals won't be reusable after they've been removed. Doubt they've ever been replaced. Don't you think there's a good chance they'll just fall apart when taken off?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

Duncan

Different answer than the OP, but I'm planning to replace my seals because the original material has decayed on the surface enough to cause them to smear black onto the paint whenever I wash the van. Not good.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

Elliott wrote:
Hi,

My Vanagon is at the shop right now getting bodywork fixed and getting a new paintjob (whooohoooo!).

Got a couple questions. Hoping someone can help me.

1. The shop owner was having trouble finding the right white. This is for an '87 Vanagon. He hadn't done too much digging yet, but I mentioned I could ask here in case anyone else had already done the research and had an answer

The white color is "Pastel White" and the code is L90D.

Also, which shop is doing the work and how did you decide on them?

Thanks!

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

Awesome...thanks for that!

SyncroHead wrote:

Also, which shop is doing the work and how did you decide on them?

Thanks!

Jim Davis

I've got it at the Earl Schieb in West LA. I've shopped around for so long to find a shop who could do a decent job without breaking the bank. Was originally going to go to Maaco as I found one in the area with great reviews, but they decided after providing an initial estimate that the Vanagon would be too much work and not worth it for the after all. They weren't even going to do any disassembly though…just tape over everything. Earl Schieb is taking everything off, including getting the windows removed. They've already done an amazing job with the body work. I can post some pictures if you'd like.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

I would never do a paint job again with out replacing all seals if they are original. Smart move. West Coast Metric also has seals. So does CIP. AZ Autohaus, etc lots of places to get seals, even ebay. you might not find a full kit, but you can find all the individual seals.

off your paint topic, but how did the engine fiasco end up?
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
I would never do a paint job again with out replacing all seals if they are original. Smart move. West Coast Metric also has seals. So does CIP. AZ Autohaus, etc lots of places to get seals, even ebay. you might not find a full kit, but you can find all the individual seals.

off your paint topic, but how did the engine fiasco end up?

Dude, thanks for the West Coast Metric recommendation! I was about to purchase from busdepot with an estimated 2 week delivery, but called West Coast up and they sold me on their US made seals which will be delivered next week. Even a little cheaper than busdepot.

The engine fiasco haha. He did it right in the end. Been running incredibly and it's warrantied through the end of next summer, so I'm feeling good about it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

I see rust on the window you showed.

How is that being fixed?
Is there other rust?
Seams, rockers, etc?

If rust is simply puttied over…. It will soon return and your cash outlay fir new paint is wasted.

The shop brand dies raise some warning flags. The brand is generally not known fir high quality paint or application.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I see rust on the window you showed.

How is that being fixed?
Is there other rust?
Seams, rockers, etc?

If rust is simply puttied over…. It will soon return and your cash outlay fir new paint is wasted.

The shop brand dies raise some warning flags. The brand is generally not known fir high quality paint or application.

Dave

They said they will grind out all the rust, then apply a treatment and it's guaranteed. The paint job is guaranteed for 10 years.

Agreed "Earl Schieb" tends to say "run away," but like Maaco it seems like they're independently owned, and all run differently. I looked at their other work, and spoke with the owner extensively to get the sense that they actually seem to do quality work for a budget shop, and I'm impressed with their attention to detail so far, and level of communication throughout the process. I'll keep you all posted on the end result.
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

Another question for you all.

He has a chrome shop he works with as I asked him about removing the dents in my rear bumper. He just came back with an estimate of $600 from the chrome shop to basically make my bumper look new again.

Here is a pic. $600 is a bit more than I expected, but willing to bite the bullet while it's getting a new paintjob if you fine folks think it's not a terrible deal. I'm trying to see if he can get the chrome shop to throw in my hub caps as well which have some dents.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

Elliott wrote:
I can post some pictures if you'd like.

Yes please!

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

In regards to my question about paying $600 to get my bumper restored, looks like a new one is half the price. i thought they were much more.

https://www.busdepot.com/255807311h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

Elliott wrote:
In regards to my question about paying $600 to get my bumper restored, looks like a new one is half the price. i thought they were much more.

I have a new front bumper if you need that too: $130
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pts/d/hacienda-heights-vanagon-chrome-front/7400979442.html

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Mirror-Silver-Adhesi...B08LZ4GXYD

This is vinyl so with modest heat from a hair dryer, you should be able to get to to go over the compound curves of the bumper. Take the rubber off and do two applications, one over and one under the rubber. To help with stretching, don't go any farther under the rubber than you need. First bang out the bumper and fair it with body putty.

Perfect, no, but it will get you through two or three seasons while you concentrate on something else. For 9 bucks and a couple of hours, hard to beat. I bought an aftermarket bumper for a T3 and was disappointed to find the chrome of inferior quality and it was trash within three years. Maybe BD has a good product. Don't know.

Duncan
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

Thanks all. I ended up going with the black bumper from GoWesty. I really like the look, and it's a lot less expensive than chrome. https://www.gowesty.com/product/bumpers-body-protection/2221/black-steel-bumper-rear-?v=

Another question...is there any way to paint my front grills to get them looking nice again? They're in good shape, just faded. And the grills on GoWesty are super pricey for a piece of plastic about $300 for both the radiator and the upper grill. Is there any kind of spray paint that could work well for this?

Same with the rear side vents.

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

Any bonds-to-plastic black rattle can. then hit the chrome trim ring zone with a silver Sharpie. https://www.amazon.com/Molotow-ONE4ALL-Acrylic-Marker-703-102/dp/B01E7EG3NM?th=1

Duncan
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Any bonds-to-plastic black rattle can. then hit the chrome trim ring zone with a silver Sharpie. https://www.amazon.com/Molotow-ONE4ALL-Acrylic-Marker-703-102/dp/B01E7EG3NM?th=1

Duncan

Thanks dude! Good idea
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon paint color and window seal questions Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
Elliott wrote:
I can post some pictures if you'd like.

Yes please!

Jim

Here's a pic of one of the uglier areas that they've repaired.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: