Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoration shop paint Wimbledon white vs. VW Lotus white
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougClink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Restoration shop paint Wimbledon white vs. VW Lotus white Reply with quote

After many many hours and expense I am finally getting close to painting the 1970 Sportsmobile. The original color was L282 Lotus White. My question is, how close is Restoration Shop’s Wimbledon White https://www.walmart.com/ip/Restoration-Shop-Wimble...s/41976087
To Lotus White. I’d like to save the difference between custom mixed “correct “ lotus white and the cheaper Amazon paint. (About $200 savings). This money could be used for the engine rebuild or other areas.
The bus will be a driver but I want it as nice as possible and as close as possible.

To re-iterate, can anyone tell me how close to match the restoration shop paint is to Lotus white?
Are there any other options for lower cost paint? Anyone have Restoration Shop experience?
Thanks all!

1957 Sunroof Beetle • 1964 Beetle • 1958 Westfalia Subhatch • 1955 Baja Bus • 1970 Sportsmobile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration shop paint Wimbledon white vs. VW Lotus white Reply with quote

I have painted several cars with Kirker and I like the way it lays down. And its affordable.

It looks like they have half a dozen or more "whites".
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration shop paint Wimbledon white vs. VW Lotus white Reply with quote

If you’re trying to stay on a budget, look for a BASF or PPG supplier near you. Limco is very affordable; ~25 a pint and will be custom mixed to the proper color. PPG Omni is right around the same. Limco is BASF so the same family as Glasurit.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration shop paint Wimbledon white vs. VW Lotus white Reply with quote

You get what you pay for when it comes to paint. After spending hours and hours on bodywork why would you skimp on $200 for lesser paint?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration shop paint Wimbledon white vs. VW Lotus white Reply with quote

The TCP global restoration shop line is a decent budget paint, especially for a driver. The end result is not going to be much different than paint 5x the price. Most of that is in the application anyway... Good paint won't help anything if you can't lay it down nice.

No one will most likely know how well that color matches original...

If you want the paint to be original color, have the color made up for you.

If you don't care any off white should do the trick.

TCP global will match paint based on a sample or code (I believe) or find a local auto body supply store and ask them to mix it for you. I've had good luck with a Valpar 2K industrial single stage urethane, I forget the exact part number for that paint but could fine it. It's not very expensive.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration shop paint Wimbledon white vs. VW Lotus white Reply with quote

Don't use cheap paint unless you also consider your time and effort as being
cheap.

Also, if you wish to have that slick shine last for years you must steer yourself away from "cheap" primers and sealers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: