Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 195, 196, 197 ... 204, 205, 206  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Hey Bill AS-1 means its clear glass not tinted.
You could take that windshield down to a glass shop and have a laminated one cut.
If I remember right AlteWagen had one made for his 59 vert back in the day in San Fernando.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

So "AS-1" refers to the tint or lack of...

I have a windshield that came to me with the '57 Kabriolett (cracked/broken) stashed away somewhere but can't find it right now. I'm hoping that it is the original glass and if so, it ought to have whatever logo that I'd need to have reproduced on new safety glass.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

If you have a 56 convertible with all of the headliner in place, can you see any of the top mechanism?

In the process of painting and wondering if I need to bother with the metal frame.

Peter
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

2Dokas wrote:
If you have a 56 convertible with all of the headliner in place, can you see any of the top mechanism?

In the process of painting and wondering if I need to bother with the metal frame.

Peter

mine is painted black, you will always see a portion of the frame when opening and closing.
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Agree with the above statement, my frame is inca red..but with a nice headliner, no worries.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

thank you both.

Peter
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

grailoc wrote:
2Dokas wrote:

Peter

mine is painted black, you will always see a portion of the frame when opening and closing.

Black car?

aa390392 wrote:
Agree with the above statement, my frame is inca red..but with a nice headliner, no worries.

I know this one is Inca Red
Lars B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Mine is painted in the same color as the car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I have a unrestored 1956-57 roof frame assembly that is green (painted the color of the car it came off of). I have another restored frame from Chuck's Convertibles back in the mid-1990's stashed away that he powder coated in matte black. My project '57 Kab is originally black.

I had heard that the roof frames for most Kab's were painted the body color, not sure how correct that is.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
I had heard that the roof frames for most Kab's were painted the body color, not sure how correct that is.

Bill

Correctamundo!

2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
BulliBill wrote:

Bill

Correctamundo!

Great picture of what I was looking for Thanks!
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

My rear quarter window chrome and front window chrome seems to be too far gone to re chrome. I may just have it done and see but my question is what other years would fit a 56? I was looking through the ads in the 58+ and there were some items that I could use.

thanks and happy new year
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Have you asked your local plating person? They should give you a reliable honest answer, before spending a small kings ransome.

Have you contacted Chucks? Perhaps he can tell you whats is, and what is not interchangeable, as far as yrs are concerned.

I did exactly what your doing a few years back, if I may suggest all of your window cranking mechanisms are up to snuff, operate correctly, all the fasteners,( proper screws, bolts, nuts)
, I had to replace all of mine...its very technical/ frustrating/ to get it right, working properly, take plenty of pics,notes on disassembly.... I discovered this particular forum dosent share info, or answers, or that they have since left TS?

Good luck
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

HI 2Dokas,

A fast and dirty look in the Oval window era parts book seems to indicate that the L & R side rear quarter window chrome frames were used on Kabs from Oct 1952 thru Jul 1964

The L & R side chrome "L" shaped roll-down window frames were used from the Fall of 1955 (1956 models) thru Jul 1964

Someone correct me if that is not right...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Lars B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Bought mine from the 58+ to my 56 Vert, Much cheaper there. Up to 64 will fit/work.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
HI 2Dokas,

A fast and dirty look in the Oval window era parts book seems to indicate that the L & R side rear quarter window chrome frames were used on Kabs from Oct 1952 thru Jul 1964

The L & R side chrome "L" shaped roll-down window frames were used from the Fall of 1955 (1956 models) thru Jul 1964

Bill Bowman

By L shape I assume you mean the door windows Bill? It’s interesting that they started from fall 55 (56 model year) whereas the rear wind down side windows started in chrome (as an option I believe - some were still aluminium through 53 or part of 53) in Oct 52. What does your parts book day for door windows from Oct 52 to Aug 55? Most interesting!

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
HI 2Dokas,

Bill Bowman

Fantastic help, thanks very much.

Peter
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Metal bow measurements needed:

I posted this question in the bodywork forum but didn't get the measurements.
I came across this image in the classified and sent it to the owner but never heard back.

Hoping someone has theirs somewhat apart and available so I can fab a new bow.

I am hoping the tops didn't change too much from a split to an oval

Mike Thornburgh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

2Dokas—Asked the owner of the pictured 52 Kab if the rear window was complete. He sent back a photo of the glass and wood frame plus a $120,000 asking price. Did not see a seal. I guess he answered because I might have been a potential buyer. I wish. It’s no longer listed for sale. The frame and wood components looked good.
Mike Thornburgh
1961 Beryl Green sedan traded in for a brand new:
1963 151 Kabriolet (L380 türkis) which I still drive every day.
1965 Typ 221 Transporter, sold oy vey.
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Mike Thornburgh wrote:
2Dokas—Asked the owner of the pictured 52 Kab if the rear window was complete. He sent back a photo of the glass and wood frame plus a $120,000 asking price. Did not see a seal. I guess he answered because I might have been a potential buyer. I wish. It’s no longer listed for sale. The frame and wood components looked good.
Mike Thornburgh
1961 Beryl Green sedan traded in for a brand new:
1963 151 Kabriolet (L380 türkis) which I still drive every day.
1965 Typ 221 Transporter, sold oy vey.

Wow, that's a lot of cash.

I wish he had a minute to run out a measure that bow for me.

I emailed Chucks as well, but they are closed until the 10th, hopefully someone helps me out. Otherwise I will have to wait until I can install the frame and make an educated guess. Still waiting for the temperature to get back up to painting temperatures to spray the body and my son is rebuilding some of the wood bows.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 195, 196, 197 ... 204, 205, 206  Next
Jump to:
Page 196 of 206

Jump to: