Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

interesting kubelwagen website
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: interesting kubelwagen website Reply with quote

just stumbled across this interesting kubelwagen site:-
http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org/kubel/kubele.html

has a list of licence plates compiled by Egon Kraaz Shocked and pdf versions of manuals and parts lists etc

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: interesting kubelwagen website Reply with quote

Interesting he mentions the typ181 “thing” as part of the kubelwagen family. The 181 was a military vehicle but not of the WWII era.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: interesting kubelwagen website Reply with quote

well it specifies that it is a later addition, and conceptually the two cars are related, as the 181 was a little more than a parts bin special heavily inspired by the WW2 Kubel (civilian car chassis with dedicated military body), intedned as a cheap stopgap between the 2-stroke Munga and the never materialized europa-jeep.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: interesting kubelwagen website Reply with quote

i found this interesting:

http://schwimmwagen.free.fr/vw82/chrono/chronoen.php?tpc=27
T2_681
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: interesting kubelwagen website Reply with quote

Unfortunately, not very accurate.
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: interesting kubelwagen website Reply with quote

is there a better reference available?

thanks
T2_681
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: interesting kubelwagen website Reply with quote

Seems Jochen Vollert's Kübelwagen on all Frontlines is more accurate. Not absolutely free of errors and not absolutely exhausting source, but so far probably the best.
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: interesting kubelwagen website Reply with quote

interesting.

for my own edification, how would one source be determined more accurate than another?

personal research, first hands-on experience, author's reputation among peers?

i ask because i quickly could spend the grocery money on all the self proclaimed expert's book, but what a waste if i am only learning inaccurate information

thx

https://www.tankograd.com/cms/website.php?id=/en/Kuebelwagen-on-all-Frontlines.htm
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: interesting kubelwagen website Reply with quote

finster wrote:
just stumbled across this interesting kubelwagen site:-
http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org/kubel/kubele.html

has a list of licence plates compiled by Egon Kraaz :shock: and pdf versions of manuals and parts lists etc

i've poked around some of the download manuals and there seems to be

quite a bit of interesting details there (from a scale modeler's

perspective, anyway)
T2_681
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: interesting kubelwagen website Reply with quote

If you study photos, you can easily discover some inconsistencies in the sources of info. The "Kubelwagen over the years" contains a lot of time-inaccurate identifications of production changes. Sometimes the VW parts lists may be helpful but it is not a general rule because not every production change is included or the changes do not match the actual production serial numbers.
The "Kubelwagen over the years" author used two photos of a 1944 Kubelwagen to show some 1944 changes, including a split windshield. The photos are, however, of a VW museum inaccurately restored Kubelwagen which has many details made wrongly. The split windshield is most likely a nonsense as well as the absence of the front registration recess and the oval rear window. Etc. etc.....
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: interesting kubelwagen website Reply with quote

The problem is, that over time, others will reproduce these inaccuracies, and when repeated enough, they become 'fact'. Nobody knows everything, but within forums like these on Samba, details can generally be thrashed out, and a consenus arrived at. In 35+ years of Kubel ownership I've yet to see something I consider to be a reliable chronology of Kubel changes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: interesting kubelwagen website Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
. . . I've yet to see something I consider to be a reliable chronology . . ..

oh, jeez! i'm really up the creek, then.

this whole "Volkswagen-thing*" i've gotten bitten by reminds me of going into a restaurant to have a steak - back when i did such things.

all i wanted was a steak, cooked, and put on a plate. never considered the possibility of the waiter explaining all the parts of the cow from whence it came!

but back to all the rest of my model building, i subscribe the the 'school of plausibility'. meaning if something could mechanically work, and looks pleasing by comparison to its surroundings, then i consider it a successful project.

for example:

current VW project is a 1: 24 scale resin 1949 split body meant to be paired with a '66 tamiya kit for engine, body pan, suspension, & interior.

now, the rascals @ Samba have now made me aware of several details which i think my skills will allow me to produce and still have an acceptable result. i will back-date as much of things as i can find examples.

coupled with that are details i like, but which are definitely not of '49 vintage such as cooling vents, no horn grilles either side, driving/ fog light(s), no rear seat, flip-out back windows, banjo steering wheel, fram oil & ampco top end oiler system additions, an air cleaner based on design rather than period correctness (i don't like that term), and a bunch of stuff on a scrap of paper i can't locate somewhere on my workbench at the moment.

it's all part of the journey. and everyone has been helpful.

* no pun intended.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: interesting kubelwagen website Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
The problem is, that over time, others will reproduce these inaccuracies, and when repeated enough, they become 'fact'. Nobody knows everything, but within forums like these on Samba, details can generally be thrashed out, and a consenus arrived at. In 35+ years of Kubel ownership I've yet to see something I consider to be a reliable chronology of Kubel changes.

it's interesting that jochen vollert states in his book - 'it was war and not all things were done to the book. official factory sheets are one thing - the availability of parts...with material shortages another. one restorer commented that he [had] worked on several kubelwagen that had the front end of one vehicle and the rear end of another.'
and tellingly - 'the author has never encountered a correctly restored kubelwagen...'

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: