Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The EV Wheel Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

For those that have later model EVs (2001+) and switched to another set of VW/Audi family wheels, any difference in lug bolts? My main concern is the profile of the lug pocket on the wheel being correct for the EV's lug bolts.

In my case, I'm looking to use the wheels off of an '05-'15 Jetta (VW part number: 1K0601025AJ) with the stock EV lug bolts.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

gesoffen wrote:
For those that have later model EVs (2001+) and switched to another set of VW/Audi family wheels, any difference in lug bolts? My main concern is the profile of the lug pocket on the wheel being correct for the EV's lug bolts.

In my case, I'm looking to use the wheels off of an '05-'15 Jetta (VW part number: 1K0601025AJ) with the stock EV lug bolts.

Went through this when I got a new set of wheels
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=751582&sid=160262aff753224aba59c9e44ec2fca9

From what I learned our wheels have large ball seat. R14. A typical small ball is R12, there is also a R13.

From this
https://www.achtuning.com/hartmann-14mm-diameter-r13-ball-seat-lug-bolts-10-pack/
VW/Audi wheels can be R14 or 13.

Another thing to lookout for is bolt length. IF you have steel wheels and moving to alloys you'll need longer bolts.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the summary MrPulldown. The wheels I'm looking into are VW alloys and I've confirmed the hub depth and other measurements are compatible with the 2001-2003 EVs, with the exception of the ball head.

Digging into the wheels in question, I've been able to connect the dots via ETKA as follows:
Wheels are VW P/N: 1K0601025AJ
Lug bolts for those wheels are VW P/N: WHT001812

Looking up WHT001812, I cannot find any info on ball head radius but I do find cross compatibility with Eurovan 2001-2003. I'm not 100% satisfied that as the only evidence of compatibility.

If I could measure the seat radius in the wheels, I would. However, I don't have anything that'll reach down in there. Might have to get creative with some layout fluid or perhaps a mold....
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

gesoffen wrote:
Thanks for the summary MrPulldown. The wheels I'm looking into are VW alloys and I've confirmed the hub depth and other measurements are compatible with the 2001-2003 EVs, with the exception of the ball head.

Digging into the wheels in question, I've been able to connect the dots via ETKA as follows:
Wheels are VW P/N: 1K0601025AJ
Lug bolts for those wheels are VW P/N: WHT001812

Looking up WHT001812, I cannot find any info on ball head radius but I do find cross compatibility with Eurovan 2001-2003. I'm not 100% satisfied that as the only evidence of compatibility.

If I could measure the seat radius in the wheels, I would. However, I don't have anything that'll reach down in there. Might have to get creative with some layout fluid or perhaps a mold....

When I was test fitting mine, I took my old bolts and cleaned up the ball seat face. Then I dropped it into the lug hole, grabbing the threaded portion from the inside of the wheel I gave it a spin while pulling the bolt towards the seat. The wrong seat left a thin line of a mark at the contact point. The right bolt left a wide band.
Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Just to add to the mix. I used to see Enkei's on rice rockets growing up in LA, so surprised to find these on the '02 I got this summer.
A bit dusty from a weekend trip down the coast, but I think the black looks like a great fit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dscott90000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Will
2015 Jetta wheels 5x112 bolt on to my 1993 MV ?

Looking to put steelies on her. Ill be selling the Audi rims I have currently. Ill put them on samba
brettharrisonnewman@gmail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

I recently inherited my dad's 1999 Full Camper with a GoWesty Lift Kit and 16" GoWesty rims. After seeing a few folks on here running them I decided to have 215/70R16 BFG KO2s installed.

Picked it up from the tire shop today and the rear fenders are realllllly tight. There's maybe .5" clearance on the front and back sides between the tires and fenders. I've driven it a bit around town and haven't encountered rubbing but am curious, is this sustainable or should I look into trimming the fenders/moving to smaller tires?

Any guidance from folks that are running these or similar would be great, thanks!

VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

FWIW I have 235/60 Michelin Defenders on the same gowesty rims + lift kit and have similar clearances in the arches.

Using this tire calculator: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Your outside tire diameter is slightly larger than mine (27.9 vs 27.1 inches) so you are likely a bit tighter in the wheel-well...
bgrimes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Is there any experience on the forum with this wheel? I have a '02 Weekender, mostly factory with only simple modifications like rack and stereo changes. No suspension changes and none planned. I would like to find a 17in wheel to run in the summer and keep my 5-spoke OE wheels for our snow tires. Like most I am sure, I want these to bolt up with no rubbing issues and ideally no modifications to the wheel. New lug nuts would not be a problem if they were required.

This particular VW wheel has the following spec: 17x7, 5 x 112 mm bolt pattern and 54mm offset. Tire would be something like a 225/55 r17.

Appreciate the help. Thanks Samba.

Mockup on the van. Pretty sharp if I do say so.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

brettharrisonnewman@gmail wrote:
I recently inherited my dad's 1999 Full Camper with a GoWesty Lift Kit and 16" GoWesty rims. After seeing a few folks on here running them I decided to have 215/70R16 BFG KO2s installed.

Picked it up from the tire shop today and the rear fenders are realllllly tight. There's maybe .5" clearance on the front and back sides between the tires and fenders. I've driven it a bit around town and haven't encountered rubbing but am curious, is this sustainable or should I look into trimming the fenders/moving to smaller tires?

Any guidance from folks that are running these or similar would be great, thanks!

I'd consider rolling the fender in some before trimming. If it hasn't rubbed it will probably be fine.
Blaque Jacques
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

I finally need new tires for my 97 and feel like its a good time to go to 16" rims as the selection of XL, C and 102 tires is so much better at that size. I'm in rural SE utah with little access to metropolitan craigslists and little time to shop for good used VW/Audi/MB wheels. I've been shopping aftermarket. Any reason not to get these:

https://www.visionwheel.com/wheel/2386/VisionWheel/426%20Cross?finishID=12

can get them for $509 shipped.

16x7" offset 38mm load rated at 1800lb and from what seems to be a decent maker. The looks are a bit 'racy' for my taste but not too crazy. Of course I know I'll need centering rings and lug bolts.

anything else I might not be considering?
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Blaque Jacques wrote:
I finally need new tires for my 97 and feel like its a good time to go to 16" rims as the selection of XL, C and 102 tires is so much better at that size. I'm in rural SE utah with little access to metropolitan craigslists and little time to shop for good used VW/Audi/MB wheels. I've been shopping aftermarket. Any reason not to get these:

https://www.visionwheel.com/wheel/2386/VisionWheel/426%20Cross?finishID=12

can get them for $509 shipped.

16x7" offset 38mm load rated at 1800lb and from what seems to be a decent maker. The looks are a bit 'racy' for my taste but not too crazy. Of course I know I'll need centering rings and lug bolts.

anything else I might not be considering?

Regarding centering rings and bolts. I found these 2 things to be a PITA to get right. I bought the right centering rings and they did not fit. I had to hand file some material to get it to work. The plastic ones where total crap and just got destroyed. Get aluminum ones. Make sure you triple check the seat of the lug bolts. There are 3 different ball seats sizes. The best seat IMO are the flat seats of alloy wheels that use the captured washer type lugs.
Blaque Jacques
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

thank you! Good info on the centering rings. As for the lug bolts, I couldn't find specific info on the interface but it seems that most aftermarket alloy wheels use a standard conical lug bolt/nut. as long as they match the M14/1.5 size and are of the conical type they should work?
menko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

I bought a set of Nokian Entyre 2.0 in 235/60/16 3 years ago, and have about 25k miles on them. I have noticed some strange wear on them, where they aren't exactly wearing flat. I had the van aligned twice, front was fine, the rear was super close, but they couldn't adjust it.

Even with rotation every 5k miles, these tires wobble a bit at low speed (20-30mph). I was driving home on the freeway and noticed a high speed wobble start, and a few minutes later a bang and the right rear tire had a 1" separation of tread on the very inside.

These tires aren't even halfway worn, but I need to find some replacements. I also am not sure if this wear is a tire issue, or if there's still something wrong with the alignment.

What tires in 235/60/16 are out there still with 102 load rating? I'm having trouble finding much of anything.

Thanks!

TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

menko wrote:
I bought a set of Nokian Entyre 2.0 in 235/60/16 3 years ago, and have about 25k miles on them. I have noticed some strange wear on them, where they aren't exactly wearing flat. I had the van aligned twice, front was fine, the rear was super close, but they couldn't adjust it.

Even with rotation every 5k miles, these tires wobble a bit at low speed (20-30mph). I was driving home on the freeway and noticed a high speed wobble start, and a few minutes later a bang and the right rear tire had a 1" separation of tread on the very inside.

These tires aren't even halfway worn, but I need to find some replacements. I also am not sure if this wear is a tire issue, or if there's still something wrong with the alignment.

What tires in 235/60/16 are out there still with 102 load rating? I'm having trouble finding much of anything.

Thanks!

Lots of people have had trouble with these. You should probably check the alignment, but chances are it's just bad tires.
menko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Thanks! I had read that and had a friend with similar problems. Any suggestions for a different tire to replace it?

Thanks!
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

TheOneTrueQuux wrote:

Lots of people have had trouble with these. You should probably check the alignment, but chances are it's just bad tires.

Same here. My Nokian Entyre's broke the cords/belts, as did my Kumho's, exactly as Menko pictured above. Alignment is fine; not approaching the weight limit of either tire's rating.

The only thing that seems reasonably plausible is the tires flat-spotted from being parked for prolonged periods in between use (this was obvious), and the belts work-hardened/fatigued upon driving it again.

I don't think electrickery works that way
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

Looks like too much negative camber. Actually wearing pretty nicely. There is an adjustment in the front, but most shops only toe and go and do not touch the camber adjustment. Lame. Find a shop that will or set the camber your self and take it in to get the toe set.

Another issue is your larger than stock tire size. Stock is 225/60r16Not saying this is your issue, but you should start with stock size if your are chasing problems.

What PSI were you running your tires at. Many with tire issues seem to run too little air. I have the same tire and have not had any problems... yet.

As for replacements. The XL rated tires are becoming hard to find in an all season. Interestingly enough there are plenty of snow tires in that size. THere are some off brand tires in that size and load rating. Some people do not trust off brand tires. I have never had issues with off brand tires. GO over to tire rack and ebay to research what is available these days.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:

As for replacements. The XL rated tires are becoming hard to find in an all season. Interestingly enough there are plenty of snow tires in that size.

This snow tire discrepancy is likely because it's common practice to use narrower but higher aspect ratio tires for winter. It does a better job of punching through the snow.
leadvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The EV Wheel Thread Reply with quote

I finally got a lift, level and torsion bar adjustment with new 16x7 audi rims. I bought these 215/65r16 entyre 2.0 tires about a year ago. I think they were the last set of these on the planet. Time will tell how they perform/last. I have read reviews praising the ride and low noise and other reviews stating wear issues. I will report back on my experience.
I cut the cavevan spacers down to an inch to use. I didn't want to go too high. It gets aligned next week. I can't wait to see if the ride is improved.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: