Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FIXED ... It starts. New Fuel Pump No Fuel
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: FIXED ... It starts. New Fuel Pump No Fuel Reply with quote

I replaced the hose from the pump to the car with a new German fuel hose. Started right up. So at least it has a new fuel pump and I can use the old one as a spare.

Last month my 57 bug was idling in the garage with help from my foot on the accelerator. When I lifted my foot off the accelerator, it died. Since that time he has never started but does turn over and sounds like it going to start any second. I did the following before buying a new fuel pump.

1. Plugs are good, not fouled
2. Tried new coil
3. Checked timing and gap of points
4. Checked distributor and condenser.

After all of that I pulled the hose off the carb that comes from the fuel pump, put it in a glass jar while trying to turn over the engine. There was no gas in the jar and both ends of that hose were drier than dry.

Installed a new fuel pump today. Push rod is the correct length and is not worn. New gaskets installed. It would still not turn over. Yes, I did check the fuel and there was plenty of fuel as the gauge showed me.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Last edited by iubhounds on Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Pump No Fuel Reply with quote

Did the new fuel pump pump fuel into the jar when you tried that?
Is there fuel coming into the pump from the tank up front?

Not sure it matters exactly but is this a 36hp engine?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fuel Pump No Fuel Reply with quote

I fixed it by changing the hose from the pump to the carb. I had plenty of fuel from tank to pump but nothing came out into the jar when I tried starting it. Once I put that new fuel hose on, it started right up.

It is a 1600cc, 12v.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: FIXED ... It starts. New Fuel Pump No Fuel Reply with quote

Weird, maybe it rotted and collapsed internally?

I'd probably change any other rubber lines as a precaution.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: FIXED ... It starts. New Fuel Pump No Fuel Reply with quote

If it is not able to idle without your foot on the accellerator, seems to me that either the idle jet or idle circuit are clogged. take the idle jet out, clean it, reinstall it and see if improves. If not, I'd point into the idle circuit. There's a hair thin passage that connects the fuel bowl, the idle circuit and a tiny hole past the throttle butterfly. this is the fuel path when the carb is in idle position. It happened to me to have this passagge clogged once, and it drove me crazy for a whole week. Dimantle, clean, blow, clean agan, blow.... blow again just to be sure, oh! and clean it once again, not without blowing again to make sure it's not clogged...
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: FIXED ... It starts. New Fuel Pump No Fuel Reply with quote

leowagen wrote:
If it is not able to idle without your foot on the accellerator, seems to me that either the idle jet or idle circuit are clogged. take the idle jet out, clean it, reinstall it and see if improves. If not, I'd point into the idle circuit. There's a hair thin passage that connects the fuel bowl, the idle circuit and a tiny hole past the throttle butterfly. this is the fuel path when the carb is in idle position. It happened to me to have this passagge clogged once, and it drove me crazy for a whole week. Dimantle, clean, blow, clean agan, blow.... blow again just to be sure, oh! and clean it once again, not without blowing again to make sure it's not clogged...

It idled yesterday okay without my foot on the accelerator after installing the new fuel pump and hose. Due to my recent move from 4,600' elevation to 800' elevation I was able to adjust the idle yesterday. So far so good.

I will remember your suggestion if I have problems in the future. Thanks.
leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: FIXED ... It starts. New Fuel Pump No Fuel Reply with quote

iubhounds wrote:
leowagen wrote:

It idled yesterday okay without my foot on the accelerator after installing the new fuel pump and hose. Due to my recent move from 4,600' elevation to 800' elevation I was able to adjust the idle yesterday. So far so good.

I will remember your suggestion if I have problems in the future. Thanks.

glad you sorted it! many times our problems are a lot simpler than we first think! Everytime I have an issue with mine, for some reason I go first to the most pessimistic possibility. Starting from there, I'm prepared for the worst and anything better is just sweet fruit juice.

Safe rides!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: