Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to actually buy semaphores?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Notch_Norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

Hi, guys.

Where do one actually get good semaphores at?

Mine are pretty bunk and will cost almost as much to get fixed as a complete set.

Any repro that can be reccomended? Being warned about Kaefer Nostalgia.

Any answer is helpful. Usally:-)
Steve in NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

I got a set from Matt's Bug parts.

He advertises here in the classified section.

Steve in NJ.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

Something a little nearer home:

https://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-split_scree...-bus_1607/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:

a split beetle should have split era semaphores Very Happy
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

$160? Something's fishy.....

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Notch_Norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

Steve in NJ wrote:
I got a set from Matt's Bug parts.

He advertises here in the classified section.

Steve in NJ.

I have spoken with him and he basically said i should just buy new as im missing a few critical parts and they are bent etc Smile
Notch_Norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:

Thanks for the link, but those are not correct for my 52. And at that price it seems fishy indeed. Even to 999dollars for something as simple as a semaphore feels like insanity.
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

You can buy them at BBT4VW in Belgium.
https://www.bbt4vw.com/en/catalogue/3-electrical-s...n-0617-40/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Notch_Norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

peter schepens wrote:

Do you have any experience with these? Decent quality?
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

BBT don't usually sell direct to the public, but via their Agents such as C&C. I wonder if BBT have an outlet in Norway?

If the items they sell are the same as the ones I've bought in the past, brand unknown (Just says Kafer many times on the box), then they are more than adequate. Obviously not the same quality as the originals, but good.
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

Notch_Norway wrote:
peter schepens wrote:

Do you have any experience with these? Decent quality?

not me , but I know someone who bought them and was happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Notch_Norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

BBT it is then. The car is being sent off to get brakes etc redone and their supplier is actually BBT Smile

Cheers guys.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

I got mine from thesamba classifieds one working set for $1200 and a broken, non-working set for $75 - have fun - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Martin Southwell wrote:

a split beetle should have split era semaphores Very Happy

split type-ones had "grooved" semaphores, but the later smooth type will function, just fine - get what is available and affordable - doesn't really matter - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

I have a truly NOS pair of SHO smooth I want 1k for. The real deal with yellow VW lenses. Perfect.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Matts Bug Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

The above are garbage Asian reproductions! Period, case closed.

The above are built on garbage Asian reproduction smooth semaphores, I do not know who is making the ribbed inside short arm, the outside ribbed arm, inside long lens bulb holder and lens. If it’s SAM Steel or KN the quality is certain to be poor. Look at the bolts that hold the ribbed arm, inside long lens bulb holder and lens together. You know whoever makes them does not give a damn. Original are slotted, these are philips.

Yah, yah, I am just a grumpy old man but really people. If you continue to buy garbage people will make and sell more garbage.

I would far rather see a split run nice, original smooth semaphores than these products, at least until someone builds decent quality.

PS there is one exceptionally high quality reproduction SWF lens made, better than NOS, correct colour, great fit and high quality plastic. It’s made by Split Parts Unlimited. They also make truly fine reproduction ribbed arms.

Matt
Notch_Norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
I have a truly NOS pair of SHO smooth I want 1k for. The real deal with yellow VW lenses. Perfect.

I would like to get ribbed ones. But ill note that you have that Smile
Notch_Norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

Matts Bug Parts wrote:

The above are garbage Asian reproductions! Period, case closed.

The above are built on garbage Asian reproduction smooth semaphores, I do not know who is making the ribbed inside short arm, the outside ribbed arm, inside long lens bulb holder and lens. If it’s SAM Steel or KN the quality is certain to be poor. Look at the bolts that hold the ribbed arm, inside long lens bulb holder and lens together. You know whoever makes them does not give a damn. Original are slotted, these are philips.

Yah, yah, I am just a grumpy old man but really people. If you continue to buy garbage people will make and sell more garbage.

I would far rather see a split run nice, original smooth semaphores than these products, at least until someone builds decent quality.

PS there is one exceptionally high quality reproduction SWF lens made, better than NOS, correct colour, great fit and high quality plastic. It’s made by Split Parts Unlimited. They also make truly fine reproduction ribbed arms.

Matt

You are not grumby you just know alot more then the most of us Smile

The problem im facing is that mine will be really expensive to fix, a pair of ribbed NOS ones people want 2k for and then you have a set of repro i can change the two screws in and it look alright at a far less pricepoint.

Split Parts Unlimited was a great tip from you and i will buy a taillight from them Smile
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

The bottom line is that whatever you fit, they can always be changed at a later date if required, and in under 30 minutes (being careful). The inexpensive 55>60 items previously purchased by myself, although not for the purist, have always been fine.

It's a bit of a broad brush approach dismissing items as 'Asian' as a bye word for sub standard. I've previously purchased repro semaphore lenses from America (plus other items), which were worse than sub standard, and couldn't be fitted, plus I didn't get my money back, so the 'Holier than Thou' attitude is not valid.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Where to actually buy semaphores? Reply with quote

Matt might have a standard much higher than most. His semaphores are absolutely top-notch, and he knows what he's talking about. If you have a first-rate car, you need first-rate semas. My .02

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: