Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan MV conversion to Weekender (adding a pop top)?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zachzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Eurovan MV conversion to Weekender (adding a pop top)? Reply with quote

The differential in cost between a "tip top" Eurovan MV and "poptop" Weekender is still very large (maybe even growing?). It seems like there could be a lot of value added in converting an MV hard top to a pop top, especially if it is already setup with the fold down bed, table, and rear facing jump seats. Is the current thinking still to budget around $10K for a pop top conversion? If there was some way to get that price down to about half, I could see the numbers working to do this sort of project.

I'd definitely prefer to have someone attach it for me, but we are on the east coast and most installers seem to be based on the other side of the country. I'm probably willing to cut a hole in a roof, but I'm still not clear on how difficult it actually is to attach a new top.
spacetiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan MV conversion to Weekender (adding a pop top)? Reply with quote

I think many of us would like to follow your project if you go forward with it.

That said, it is no small thing to cut a good size hole in your vehicle. I would be a bit worried about the structural integrity of the vehicle. I would guess the MV with weekender may have had some reinforcement put in the chassis once the hole was cut - but I don't know for sure.

If you found a good company that has done this and they do all the work, that may make it a safer modification and you will be happier when the day comes to resale the EV. The next buyer is going to be more willing to buy if they knew a company that does this kind of work did it - unless you do bodywork of equal or better quality.

It does seem to be about a $10K difference in MV and MV Wkr. Did you consider selling your MV and buying a Wkr?

As a side note, I do like the rear facing jumpseats in the MV vs the wkr. I believe you can pop out both of the jumpseats in the MV but you can only do 1 that way in the wkr. You have to unbolt the one behind the driver as it has the small cooler under it to remove it.

Also, if you have the rear AC in the MV, you may loose it adding the pop top - or have to modify it. I wish they had engineered a rear AC into the wkr package. The rear passengers would have appreciated it.

Let us know what you do.
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan MV conversion to Weekender (adding a pop top)? Reply with quote

Take a look at this thread here.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=537597&highlight=little+eurovan+building

You can search for any of the other threads by Cole (CaveVan) too. As you mentioned, most who might do this are not on the East Coast, (CaveVan included).

So far as I know, you need all of the structural pieces that go along with it, and not just the fiberglass top to do it right. I have not done it of course, but there is a fair amount of info out there from others who have.

From what I can tell, you are able to keep the rear A/C when adding the top. Not sure about any modifications needed, but that is certainly one bonus of converting van...having the rear A/C.

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan MV conversion to Weekender (adding a pop top)? Reply with quote

The Volkswagen Transporter T4 body builder guidelines document is available via this link below. It gives specific guidelines for conversions and modifications. There are also some technical drawings in various formats available in the lower sections of this same page:
https://bb-database.com/jctumbau/en/web/international/transporter-t4

For whatever reason, when I go to the web page currently, I'm only able to download the German language version of the Body builder guidelines 2007 document, but I know there's an English version of it as well because I have one.

At any rate, that URL might be a good place to start.

[Later...]
Sleuthed out direct link to the English version:
https://bb-database.com/jctumbau/documents/137801/153868/2007-11_ABR_T4_EN.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan MV conversion to Weekender (adding a pop top)? Reply with quote

Also, FYI: there are also a few different third-party top manufacturers, apart from pulling one off a wrecked Westfalia conversion. Reimo is probably the best known here in the States, but I believe there are a few others as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zachzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan MV conversion to Weekender (adding a pop top)? Reply with quote

Thank you for posting the English version. Wasn't sure if I was ready to brush up on my German.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: