Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Thing wiper moter and switch
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: 1974 Thing wiper moter and switch Reply with quote

I have seen some incorrect diagrams of the Thing wiper motor wiring and its steering column switch.

From a poster I have, I see that the motor gets +12v, and also the switch gets +12v, both from fuse #1. A ground is also shown in the switch, and, also on one of the terminals on the motor. I cannot tell if the switch is supposed to make a connection between terminals on the motor to ground or is it to +12? If I know that I can troubleshoot better.

Also, from what I see I have deduced:

Black/grey is 12 v to both the switch and to the motor via the fuse = 53a
On the motor the brown wire is constant ground = pin 31

This leaves 3 wires on the motor:

#53: black
#53e: green
#53b: black/yellow

I guess one for fast (maybe black/yellow #53b), one for slow (maybe #53 black), and one for "return" (maybe #53e, green?). Would someone verify these?

When I am done I will make a standard schematic, which I have yet to find.

Steve

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing wiper moter and switch Reply with quote

bump
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing wiper moter and switch Reply with quote

I know people are not fond of current diagrams but I made this one to show the current flow for each position of the wiper switch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Thing wiper moter and switch Reply with quote

So,

Low speed connects 53 to 53a
High speed connects 53b to 53a
Off/Park connects 53 to 53e

Correct?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: