Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

these look like a good fit in the 205/65/15 winter scene.
with a LR of 102
Winterforce CV All-Season 205/65R-15
other(older?) winterforce 2 tires were only a LR94..
so these are CV (commercial Van?) rated.

https://simpletire.com/paid?v=1&tireSize=205-6...mId=203112

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
with a LR of 102

Geez...all those sipe's it's looking like the earthquake fault map for Los Angeles!

One thing I see is that the outer lugs look to be the same size? Having the outer lugs different widths breaks up the harmonic tire drone sound. Any info on tire noise?

Another thing that caught my eye is along the outer lugs there looks to be a rubber bridge between the lugs below the surface of the tire.
When new the tire has enough passage for water to escape out the sides.
After being worn down that "bridge" is now at the surface level and just my opinion, but I think it prevents water from escaping out the sides.
I think the tire will hydroplane when it gets worn down. I've got no proof of this, just the experience I've had with other tires that have this "bridge".

The bridge I'm referring to after the tire wears down.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
AKZog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
with a LR of 102

I purchased the winter force in a 215/70/r15 for my 2wd tin top and have been running them this winter. We have had many icy days and large snow dumps this winter including 16 inches 2 days ago and I was driving with no issues.

So far they have handled excellently and I have plenty of traction and I have no issues with start ups on the "spin out zone" where other vehicles including and are not able to get traction and at stop lights etc. and on turns. Stopping control has been very good.

Noise is a bit on the loud side when there is no snow or ice but since most of the time I will be on snow/ice that is not really a problem. I do have 80 pounds of sand behind each of the front seats, behind the front wheels, to improve front steering conditions.

So far two thumbs up.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I just bit the bullet and ordered 5 of these through Amazon @ $140.00 each.. 225/75R-16 @29.3" diameter, 10 ply.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GX359H8?psc=1&smid=A1FSFTLQ0VRXUB&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Andross
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Just put a set of Goodyear WinterCommand Ultra (215/60 R16 99H @45psi) onto these knock off Mercedes rims from cip1.

https://www.cip1.ca/acc-c10-6599/

Drove 1750km from Winnipeg MB to Castlegar BC this week encountering everything nature has to offer:

-30°C with a 60km sidewind on solid ice leaving Winnipeg, check.

Absolute whiteout blizzard with 2" heavy snow and 50km sidewind in Pincher Creek, check

Kootenay Pass 10 percent grade with 3 inches of rutted out compact snow and semi's tailgating... check

Confidence the whole way with these tires! Would have been an uneventful trip besides the starter crapping out in MooseJaw...
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Andross wrote:
Would have been an uneventful trip besides the starter crapping out in MooseJaw...

Sounds like an entry in the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest for the best opening line of an non-existent novel: "The starter crapped out in Moosejaw."

https://www.bulwer-lytton.com/

Beware the rabbit hole.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

So the "new" Travelstar Ecopath's LT's have arrived and happy to see that the spaces between the treads are wide and not attached to each other.
So I'm hopeful that they will not hydroplan like the Rovita's have done on me as it seems there is a clear path for rain water to exit the tread.

Another thing I noticed between these and the Nokian Rotiva AT+ is that the sipes on the Nokian do not go all the way across the lugs. They are just in the center of the lugs. Not sure if that really going to detract from the Rotiva's handling as they do allow the lug to still move when it is in contact with the road.
Nokian does know how to make a tire after all. Just look at their dedicated snow tires performance.
It's just one of my decision criteria is how well the tire is siped and I look for the lugs being siped. My bad that I did not catch it when looking at pictures of the Rotiva's online before I bought them. The sipes were visible and I made the assumptions they went all the way across a tread lug.
I'm maybe just nitpicking the Rotiva's so let me say that on dry road and off road I have no complaints about them. They worked well for me.

The tread on the Travelstar Ecopath's compared to the Rotiva's.

The Rotiva's and the bridges between the lugs that trap water.

I haven't put them on the Syncro yet, but I expect they will handle well enough. I'm just not going to delibrately try to hydroplan them either!

Last edited by Steve M. on Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a trade off. If the sipes go all the way across the lug, the lug is inherently squishier. It'll handle worse on dry and better on wet.
AllRad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

It’s been several years, as I wore down the Hankook RA08 tires that came with the van when I bought it. I also had a set of Vredestein Comtrac Winter tires, but they were too old to be trusted. Plus, I’ve had a set of CLK wheels waiting in my shed for forever. Exploring 16” tire options has been a pastime. Although, I never did find the absolutely perfect tire for my use. I think I might have stumbled onto some that are almost perfect.

I have a Syncro, but I don’t really off road. I love it for snow (skiing) and we have a muddy steep driveway. Other than that, it’s my daily driver and freeway flyer. I have been following posts regarding lowering Syncros too. Interesting, but I digress.

TOYO OPEN COUNTRY H/T

I think these would be perfect (for my use), if the load rating was a little North of 98. But, because I have an empty Tin Top, I figure (pray) that they will be fine. They are supposedly a light truck tire. Not XL rated though. Simple Tire had a close out deal on them. I also happen to have these on my wife’s Highlander, and they perform great for her.

Here’s a shot of the Van with the 14” Hankooks

Here’s shot with the new tires next to the originals. Two inches bigger.

This is what the 14” set-up weighed:

This is what the 16” set-up weighs:

Here are some shots of the new set-up:

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Looks great! Throw on some center caps from T3 Technique:

https://t3technique.com/collections/accessories-mi...ls-shallow

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AllRad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Joetiger,

The lugs are from T3. I got the closed/capped versions, which look nice. Next up center caps. Funny thing, I slapped the Mercedes caps which sit flush on the front wheels. Now I have no idea how to get the off. LOL!

Maiden 60 mile round trip today in rainy conditions. The ride is much better than the old tires, which felt like ball bearings. I have the pressure set to 40 lbs each. Interior noise is much less. The vehicle tracks nicely with less wandering down the lane. I was worried about the effects on hill climbing, but I’m happy to report that the loss of power on hills is very minimal. I have a 2.2 WBX. There’s a nice increase in power “range” on flats at freeway speed. My Speedo read 60 and I seemed to be going with the flow. So, I might have really been going 65. I’m happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

AllRad wrote:
Funny thing, I slapped the Mercedes caps which sit flush on the front wheels. Now I have no idea how to get the off. LOL!

Remove the tire and punch it out from the back side.

Wheels and tires are looking good!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

If a WBX lost its coolant, how far could you drive between shutting it down and letting it cool back to ambient? Say on a 30º day. Haven't checked yet, but suddenly heater air was cool. No other warnings indicated, noise or other symptoms. Immediately shut it down.

Duncan
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Sorry, that was supposed to go to the Stupid Lazy Persons Thread.

Duncan
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

If a WBX lost its coolant, how far could you drive between shutting it down and letting it cool back to ambient? Say on a 30º day. Haven't checked yet, but suddenly heater air was cool. No other warnings indicated, noise or other symptoms. Immediately shut it down.

Duncan
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

Duncan

See the distance between the front and rear wheel... about that far!

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Distance from center to center or the space between the rubber? Do tires use "rubber" any more? "Hang-up" a call on a cell phone?

Happy Being Day.

Duncan
TrashPanda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:
Here is a diameter comparison of the tires I've used on my Syncro:

Bumping this post, as it has proven very helpful to me. Thanks MrPolak!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

So I finally got around to getting the new tires , the "TravelStar ECOPATH AT" mounted.
So here is my review after 96 miles of driving, the last 13 or so on a graded dirt road in the "Big Cypress Reserve" in south Florida.

A picture is worth a thousand words...

I stopped to take a picture of a crane after it moved I backed up for a clearer shot and thought it was an alligator hissing at me!

Really...on this road surface the sidewall blew out???

This concludes my review. 👎 #$_&-+$$%

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Wow! Not even 100 miles and that happened? Were you able to see what poked the hole in the tire?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 49 of 57

Jump to: