Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sanchius and Tuna ride again...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Port Jeff ferry. Let's see some of your adventures. T3s at sea perhaps.

Duncan

I’m a walk-on so don’t have VW content on the ferry often. My ManBeetle gets left in BPort so that I can ride my old guy discount at 1/5 the price and ogle the bendy yoga people. I might have some T4 from moving two of ladies in, but this forum hates HP

Ps....my 26 is still in the water in Brookhaven ...how’s that for. A sailing season?

Very Happy
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Bettrn mine. Zero days.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

We took the van on a hunting trip to Sam Houston National Forest this weekend.

Strong winds had blown through the forest for the past few days and several pine trees were down, blocking the road.

I carry a Sven Saw in my van and I highly recommend this saw for keeping in our vans. It breaks down to about 18" of aluminum tubing. When assembled, its shape is a very ergonomic triangle. This saw is one of those great things that come from Minnesota.

I was able to cut and clear 4" to 6" felled pine trees with minimal effort. Actually the saw was a joy to use, which I seldom say about sawing wood.

We didn't see any feral hogs (our quarry for this trip) but we ate well, slept well, and made ham radio contacts all over the world.

kourt

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Kourt, your Sven Saw intrigued me. I really need to start carrying a tree saw with the downed limbs I'm encountering lately.

As I clicked on your link
https://svensaw.com/
I thought of the old fold up "camping" saw that my Dad purchased somewhere back in the 1960’s.

Daggone!
THIS is my Dads "camping" saw and it is hanging in my garage! He carried that folding saw in his VW campers Until he could no longer travel and camp.

I'll be putting that puppy in my Van this week!

I will measure it and order a new blade though.......

Thank you!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

That's great. Glad I could help make the connection.

My brother stood by, mouth agape and stunned, as I assembled the saw and quickly bisected the first tree in a few seconds.

Bonus photo from the trip below: talking to Australia on a long wire antenna, with porter beer and lasagna. Tough camping trip!

kourt

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Well I needed a saw this Morning

Route 8 near Winsted blocked by deadfall.

Two truckers and I managed to clear half of roadway to let traffic through
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Well ain’t that interesting!

I don’t have Sven Saw at all!

I have a Palco Saw…..
it seems like 20” but I just ordered a Sven 21” blade. Let’s see if it fits.

Edit: I just googled the Palco saw patent number. US3149652A
The number belongs to Swenson who invented the Sven Saw.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Had one of those, Dave. Used it on my boat. I would row ashore and cut drift wood for the onboard fireplace.

Duncan
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Yes, that folding sven saw was what I had in mind. I've got one... in a box... somewhere... maybe back in Colorado...

I had to jump over to Lake Tahoe this morning to meet with one of the division fire chiefs up there about a possible project. Tunes came along and, after getting her pets and treats and a proper doting over by the front office staff, she slept^h^h^h^h^Hguarded the van while I was in the meeting.

Afterwards, on our way back over the pass, we stopped at the summit meadow for awhile...

...so Tunes could entertain herself mousing in the grass while I sat in the doorway of the van, taking in the scenery, enjoying the crisp mountain air, and slowly eating my lunch in the warm, bright, sunshine.

It's always so temping to just stay up in the mountains and never head back down onto the flats.
Even though we really like this area, all I can see is Tuna-wan Kenobi thinking, "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Bettrn mine. Zero days.

This….will……not…stand…..in…2022.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

I agree the Sven Saw is a great tool. I've had one for 30 years and it always does the job. When I recently had to add a new saw I bought a Silky Big Boy, a Japanese saw with a longer blade than the Sven Saw.

Recommended if you won't be using a Sven Saw for the rest of your days...

Link

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Went by Habitat for Humanity to drop off some surplus stuff and it was too nice day to head straight back home. So we took a short off-road detour along the desert edge in far east Reno to let Tunes catch up with her mustang buddies who are always hanging around out there.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I agree the Sven Saw is a great tool. I've had one for 30 years and it always does the job. When I recently had to add a new saw I bought a Silky Big Boy, a Japanese saw with a longer blade than the Sven Saw.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/xkubOawW8cE[/youtub]

My "Sven" has a 21” blade, plenty long enough.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/xkubOawW8cE[/youtub]

My "Sven" has a 21” blade, plenty long enough.

Dave

Now gentlemen, let's not get into size comparisons here.... Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

I had to make a run up to Truckee this morning to pick up a piece of gear. Since we were by the airport, might as well see if there was anything interesting on the flightline. Nope, nothing unusual except for some very friendly pilots.

I took the scenic route back, skirting around Lake Tahoe at its prettiest.

I even got Tuna to sit still for a moment to get in a glamour shot...

The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Dogs and Vanagons....what more do I need in a Samba thread Very Happy
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Mrs S had the day free, so we were back up in Tahoe again to pick up the final piece of gear for the workout room that we've been setting up. After losing most of the prime summer biking season to 3 months of wildfire smoke, we've pledged each other to spend the winter getting back in shape and losing our comfortable COVID pudge. The van has been great for getting all the heavy/bulky fitness equipment home.

On the way back, we stopped into Alibi Brewing in Incline Village for the first time and were delighted to enjoy the most tasty and awesomely smooth porter we've ever come across. It is always wonderful to unexpectedly discover a perfect beer in the wild and this was one. It was sheer joy to drink.

Unfortunately, no dogs are allowed inside and Tunes loudly husky-complained to the world the earth-shattering injustice of being trapped alone in the van, with just her dog-chow and water, while we sat just inside the door, slowly sipping our creamy porters and trying not to laugh each time her long wolf howls of despair started.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Oooooooowwwwwwwww!

Said the Husky..
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
Unfortunately, no dogs are allowed inside and Tunes loudly husky-complained to the world the earth-shattering injustice of being trapped alone in the van, with just her dog-chow and water, while we sat just inside the door, slowly sipping our creamy porters and trying not to laugh each time her long wolf howls of despair started.

Our pointer mix, Annie, also hates being left behind and will complain as long as we're within view of her. Step around a corner and the noise magically ceases.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Today was almost like deja-vu all over again.

Sunday found me back up in the high country, this time in South Lake Tahoe.
After picking up the bits I came up for, Tunes and I had some time to play on the rocks by the lake.

We were tantalizingly close that awesome porter up in North Lake Tahoe. With just 30 miles of some of the most curvy and scenic forest driving around between us and the microbrewery, there was no question where our next destination was. We zipped northward on the undeveloped, Nevada, side of the lake and soon reached our destination. The porter was just as yummy as yesterday, but this time after a few minutes of Husky howls, I cracked and moved to the picnic benches outside where dogs are allowed and everyone was happy.

Afterwards, the climb out of Tahoe to the Mount Rose Summit was, as always, beautiful.

At the top, we stopped for a bit to take in the view.

And back down on the flats, a worn out Tuna found her preferred use for the new center table.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 36 of 50

Jump to: