Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 966, 967, 968 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
You bought that heap? Laughing Very Happy

I wish I could say I did, but after it got above what I was allowed to spend without my lovely wife cutting off my testicles, I passed it on to a good friend who ended up buying it. That friend would like to stay anonymous at this time.

With that said, the bus will be put back on the road and will be making its debut at a So Cal show in 2022.

The seller said that the bus was the talk of the town and people had to stop by to see what vehicle that doesn't run sells for $38k. I am sure if someone found this bus before the auction they could have picked it up for $4k.

For some background- the bus has been on that property in Roseglen since at least the 70s. Someone had stolen parts off of it over the years including the front emblem. The owner died recently and his son was selling off his cars.

The seller stated that someone told him the rack is not original to the bus. Looks like the 58 only rack to me. Out of curiosity, With repos going for $3500 (plus tax?) what is an original '58 rack worth?
PatMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
PatMc wrote:
1963 SO-33 I picked up a few weeks ago. Been in storage since the 80’s
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This has GOT to be in the fore or background of some photos taken back in its heyday. We have a "History of Boise" FB group here that helps with such matters. If such a group is active in Boulder- I almost guarantee you'll get some feedback on such a unique rig. I'd be stoked to have that camper.

I will have to see if I can find any pics. We where going to sell it but have changed our minds and would be cool to have some pics of it from the 70’s
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

PatMc wrote:
hitest wrote:
PatMc wrote:
1963 SO-33 I picked up a few weeks ago. Been in storage since the 80’s

This has GOT to be in the fore or background of some photos taken back in its heyday. We have a "History of Boise" FB group here that helps with such matters. If such a group is active in Boulder- I almost guarantee you'll get some feedback on such a unique rig. I'd be stoked to have that camper.

I will have to see if I can find any pics. We where going to sell it but have changed our minds and would be cool to have some pics of it from the 70’s
I sure hope you don't repaint it. That paint job rocks, and the upholstery is dope too.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Popcorn

PatMc wrote:
Yes it was a Turkis originally. We are planning on listing it for sale soon.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanstories
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

A couple of months ago I found my first ´65 splitbus project. Very excited to get this thing done and transform it into a rough dialy ride / camper.

It seems to be unwelded as long as I can judge. The outer body was repainted (particulary?) many years ago in the same color. I think it is a good base for the first splitty.

It‘s a german vehicle, exported to Italy once, came back to Austria for sale and now it is back in Germany. Some of you might have noticed it. Over the last years this bus advertized on facebook - i heard about it. Do you have some information about the history? I have no facebook….

Tom

1979 Westfalia Helsinki Baywindow as daily camper

vanstories.com - daily adventures and photo candy with our old rusty baywindow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Nice bus, but I am concerned about that distended vein in your arm. You should see a doctor
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

vanstories wrote:

Nice bus, congratulations. I wonder what this modification was for? Water tank? Does anyone know? I’m not sure I’ve seen that before.

Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

bally wrote:
vanstories wrote:

Nice bus, congratulations. I wonder what this modification was for? Water tank? Does anyone know? I’m not sure I’ve seen that before.

Cheers. Dave

There was just a thread on those curved outriggers, started by vanstories, the op, I think the general though was it was for a propane tank.

Love your Garage space !
Nice Bus, did it come w/ any seats ??

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Thanks 😊
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Picked up a 63 single cab a friend sent me that was at an auction in Arkansas a week or so ago. My brother Found the missing treasure chest door in the bed while cleaning it out. When picking it up, we got a ragtop for the roof and popouts as it was super toasty. Also grabbed a homemade buggy with bus transaxle. The single cab has rust but I have owned worse lol. Plan to hang onto it and put it in storage until the Kombi is on the road

Culito

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Turkis! Would love to see that after a CLR bath and buff.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

58slider wrote:

There's an old respray for ya (or did the color sticker come off?). Wow. Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one, no matter how far out it is!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

That's awesome! Hopefully the auction was kind to you and there were no other bidders
58slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Culito wrote:

Any tips for the CLR bath?
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

58slider wrote:

It's a cool single cab and all, but no need to worship it, it's only metal Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

58slider wrote:
Culito wrote:

you will probably find CLR info in one of Skims posts
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

First page of El Truckito:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213707
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Yes nice formula. I'm looking forward to this one done.
From pg 1:
Skim wrote:
so I started on the nose. I wanted to only do half so I could compare. I use CLR rust remover, 1 to 4 with warm water for best results with a green scotch brite and 800 grit where its rough.

obus wrote:
58slider wrote:
Culito wrote:

you will probably find CLR info in one of Skims posts
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Nice work, that thing cleaned up as nice as you could want it! Love how it's coming along, looking forward to seeing a thread on it
mykillcykill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

rescued this '61 from a city barn (warehouse). Quite solid. Going through everything on it. It's keeping my '59 company.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 966, 967, 968 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 967 of 990

Jump to: