Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch cable size
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Clutch cable size Reply with quote

Goon Morning Group,

I was trying to adjust the clutch in my new (to me) '55. The cable has a 6mm threaded end. Someone put an adjusting nut that is 7mm so it doesn't tighten.

What is correct, a 6mm cable end or 7mm?

I don't want to change the cable unless there is no other option. Is there a 6mm adjusting nut available?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable size Reply with quote

The clutch cable end is 6mm, you are correct about that but both the main nut and the jamb nut are special and different from anything else on the car. If anyone knows different feel free to correct me.

Don

Last edited by sunroof on Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable size Reply with quote

The clutch adjustment nut on newer Bugs is 7mm. However, this change was made early in the 1960 model year. Prior to that the clutch adjustment nut was 6mm. So it appears you have the right cable but the wrong nut.
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable size Reply with quote

Thanks.

I solved the problem with the nut by screwing in a 7mm bolt, welding it to the adjusting nut and drilling and tapping for 6mm.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable size Reply with quote

I learned something today, thank you.

Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: