Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Importing a bus from Mexico to California.
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nm767
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Importing a bus from Mexico to California. Reply with quote

Hello guys I had a question specific for people with California knowledge. Is it possible to import a VW bus from Mexico into California and register it here. I tried to search but all I could find was information on importing a Brazil bus by shipping container. This is not the route I would take.

I have family that live in Mexico and my thought was they would meet me in Tijuana and I would actually drive the bus across the border. I have read a lot of information about doing this for other states and it's not an issue however I know here in California nothing is easy everything is expensive and nothing fun is allowed.

I know it has to be 25 years or older and that would allow it to be exempt from some of our regulations. I know it needs to be a 17 digit Vin and I believe all or most Mexican Volkswagens are. I also know that pre 1975 does not require any type of smog check.

Is this even possible and it does anyone have any knowledge on if it's financially feasible. I could pick up a bus in Mexico for Fairly inexpensive (compared to here) but I don't know what kind of requirements and fees California requires. Again I would not be shipping the bus I would be personally driving it or trailering it depending on it's condition.

Oh and as far as a Mexican or other country busses being less than desirable that's perfectly fine. I would be purchasing this bus to build it for myself with no desire to try and resell it.

Sorry if this is covered already, I just couldn't find it via search.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Importing a bus from Mexico to California. Reply with quote

You have about 5 issues here. Yes all is POSSIBLE, just remember Covid is everywhere and Mexico has gotten worse, not better. I imported a car from Mexico and it was critical, no make that extremely critical that I have all the paperwork in order and before you say you have that covered, no you dont. They are like no other, in that they will have another then another piece for you to complete on YOUR time. I would hire a Mexican transport agency next time. Or at least thats what everybody I know does.
If as you say it is Mexican, you have family that lives there, and the bus HAS Mexican plates, you can just drive it in. Since you are keeping it forever as you say, change what you need to here to conform to US regulations.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a bus from Mexico to California. Reply with quote

Pre 1975 is smog check exempt, but 1967- requires smog equipment. Unless it’s pre 1967, itwont have the right US smog equipment, so your quest will end there.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a bus from Mexico to California. Reply with quote

Find a U.S. firm (customshouse broker) that knows cars and has experience importing them to the US --- and LISTEN TO THEM! There are dozens of reason why this whole idea could go wrong.
In general a better idea is to find a nice bus *here* and build it up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a bus from Mexico to California. Reply with quote

FWIW I imported a motorcycle from Canada to KCMO in the 80's. The bike went into customs jail (holding) until I put up a cash bond 3X the purchase price of the bike. I get the bike out and need to swap out/prove all the lights, horn tires are DOT approved. I need to swap cylinder head, carbs & exhaust to EPA approved devices......................................................... it goes on and on

1 year 4 months and 10 days later, I put tags on my new motorcycle. It's a complete pain in the balls, but can be done, if you want it bad enough.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
imissmyvanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a bus from Mexico to California. Reply with quote

Hi there - did you ever figure this out? We are in the same boat.
nm767
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a bus from Mexico to California. Reply with quote

imissmyvanna wrote:
Hi there - did you ever figure this out? We are in the same boat.

Hello no and I decided to not even try. California is so messed up I'm just going to wait. In 10 years I can retire and the second I can retire I will leave California and then I will figure it out with the new state that I'm living in.
imissmyvanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a bus from Mexico to California. Reply with quote

Quote:
Hello no and I decided to not even try.

Bummer. And it's so frustrating because they are literally EVERYWHERE down here. It seems like such a great solution.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a bus from Mexico to California. Reply with quote

imissmyvanna wrote:
Quote:
Hello no and I decided to not even try.

Bummer. And it's so frustrating because they are literally EVERYWHERE down here. It seems like such a great solution.

Compare Mexico City and LA Air quality.

Thats why it cant be done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: