Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

nokian tire replacement
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: nokian tire replacement Reply with quote

my front right nokian entyre 2.0 radial is damaged. car pulls to the left like crazy. i was just going to order a front set oline but i can't find them in my size anywhere. any suggestions about what i should put on the front while i leave the existing nokians in the back?

they're 225/60R16 XL. would it make sense to replace them with a different size? maybe 215/60/R16 while leaving the bigger ones in the back?

or should i just replace all four tires?

thanks for your help!
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: nokian tire replacement Reply with quote

postjosh wrote:
my front right nokian entyre 2.0 radial is damaged. car pulls to the left like crazy. i was just going to order a front set oline but i can't find them in my size anywhere. any suggestions about what i should put on the front while i leave the existing nokians in the back?

they're 225/60R16 XL. would it make sense to replace them with a different size? maybe 215/60/R16 while leaving the bigger ones in the back?

or should i just replace all four tires?

thanks for your help!

I hate hearing these reports of the EnTyre 2.0 having radial damage as I recently installed a set. Pretty good tire so far.

I bout them in pairs separated by about 6 months. The last 2 I bought cost me about $60 each. I was told that they were discontinued (replaced by the Nokian ONE that doesn't have a XL option) and that I bought some that were on closeout. A quick search shows that you might still be able to buy some from the remaining stock of random tire vendors. But I would pass given your history of this tire.

I had started this thread on finding potential XL tires in 225/60r16; which if is your stock size I would continue to stay with. Going to a smaller tire will affect you power, shift points, Higher RPM at highway speed and speedo reading.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746262&highlight=why+winter+tires+in+xl

The Verdestein Quadtrac seems like a good option.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...mpare1=yes

That is unless you want to run a winter tire which there are many options:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.j...rmance=ALL
THe Altimax Artic 12 is a decent option for all season use if not studded.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.j...rmance=ALL

There are also a few more off-brand tires that come in XL.
https://www.prioritytire.com/waterfall-eco-dynamic...20Products

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zeetex-ZT3000-225-60R16-102H-XL-AS-All-Season-A-S-Tire/102202500

Finaiil I found that Nokian still make a XL tire in 225/60r16: Wet Proof. But it seems to be an Euro only tire:
https://www.nokiantyres.com/summer-tires/nokian-wetproof/

Best of luck on your search.

And... I'd just replace the 2 drive tires. Not 4wd/AWD so replacing in pairs isn't too big of a deal. I would not run different size tires front and rear.
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: nokian tire replacement Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. If it makes you feel better, i ran nokians for years on my volvo with no issues. I originally had continentals on 15" rims but they were way too stiff. The nokians came with the 16" rims that i bought. I will either try the verdesteins in the same size as my rear tires or change out to smaller nokians on all four wheels. I would have to go to 215s but i could match the overall diameter that i had when i ran on 15" rims. Right now, i'm very close to rubbing on the wheel wells.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: nokian tire replacement Reply with quote

postjosh wrote:
Thanks for your input. If it makes you feel better, i ran nokians for years on my volvo with no issues. I originally had continentals on 15" rims but they were way too stiff. The nokians came with the 16" rims that i bought. I will either try the verdesteins in the same size as my rear tires or change out to smaller nokians on all four wheels. I would have to go to 215s but i could match the overall diameter that i had when i ran on 15" rims. Right now, i'm very close to rubbing on the wheel wells.

Doesn't make me feel any better. The Volvo isn't very heavy nor is your 93 compared to the 2002 EVC.

Can't seem to find an exact weight rating for your 93 but the web said something in the range of 3800-4200. The EVC comes in at 5236 unloaded. Max cap is 761, bringing the GVWR to 5997 (which is actually about the same as the 93 fully loaded). But I doubt most daily driving is done loaded as much as the camper is empty. I know we probably overload the van every time we take it out camping. Water, food, propane, 4 passengers, camping gear dog...that easily goes over 761.

This is one of the reasons why I am insistent on running XL tires on the van. But hearing all these thread and belt separation reports on the Entyre 1 and 2.0 it always has me a bit nervous.
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: nokian tire replacement Reply with quote

again, thanks for taking the time to share all your research with me. it really helps a lot.

i realized that i might not have the 2.0 version entyres. i purchased them 2nd hand with some rims about 3 years ago. i can't find the info on them and my eurovan is parked about 20 miles from where i live in nyc. i will definitely check the next time i go to the van.

i was set to pull the trigger on the vredstein quatracs but they are out of stock everywhere. tire rack has them due in january. shipping is a nightmare right now. i just waited 3 months to get replacement doors delivered from california.

i'm going to order the nokian one's. i know they aren't xl load rated but it should be ok. nokian recommends them for the eurovan on their website. i don't carry a heavy load - no roof rack or trailers. i also don't drive it much in the winter plus i will still have xl tires in the back.
chrisg252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: nokian tire replacement Reply with quote

I bought a set of these last year.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/michelin-agilis-crossclimate/p/40672

Not cheap, but a very good tire. Surprisingly good in snow, and I have used Nokian Haakas every winter until last. Really good ride and despite the aggressive tread pattern, pretty quiet.

Chris
logans5vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: nokian tire replacement Reply with quote

I just bought what must be last 2.0 225/60R16 in the U S. I installed a set in 2018 and the RF had band separation after just 3K. Nokian no longer makes this tire so it took a long web search to find one. A tire shop in Michigan Found ONE in their warehouse. Discount tire here gave me a refund for the original cost of the tire. The 2.0 was supposed to fix the band separation the 1.0 was known for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: nokian tire replacement Reply with quote

logans5vw wrote:
I just bought what must be last 2.0 225/60R16 in the U S. I installed a set in 2018 and the RF had band separation after just 3K. Nokian no longer makes this tire so it took a long web search to find one. A tire shop in Michigan Found ONE in their warehouse. Discount tire here gave me a refund for the original cost of the tire. The 2.0 was supposed to fix the band separation the 1.0 was known for.

So your 2018 purchased 2.0 just got band separation? 3K in 3 years. And you still replaced them with 2.0s.

Feel like I am driving a ticking time bomb.
logans5vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: nokian tire replacement Reply with quote

I'm figuring (hoping) the one bad tire was an anomaly and the replacement and the other 3 will be fine for at least 30K . If another one goes bad then it's start looking for replacements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
logans5vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: nokian tire replacement Reply with quote

Sorry my OP should have stated the LF tire was the one that went bad. It's wait and see on the other 3.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: nokian tire replacement Reply with quote

logans5vw wrote:
I'm figuring (hoping) the one bad tire was an anomaly and the replacement and the other 3 will be fine for at least 30K.

I hope so too.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: nokian tire replacement Reply with quote

logans5vw wrote:
Sorry my OP should have stated the LF tire was the one that went bad. It's wait and see on the other 3.

A question. What pressure where/are you been running your 2.0s at?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: nokian tire replacement Reply with quote

Try a 215/65/16. Nokian makes a number of tires in that size that have the proper load rating. The best I have found is the Rotiiva AT. Snow rated, lots of treat, 102 load rating and they are quiet after years of use. I liked them so much, I even put a set on my Jeep for it's snows.

Remember, In Europe, EV's came with the 215/65/16 on the majority of them. Thus, the reason why that size is a much better choice over the 225/60/16.
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: nokian tire replacement Reply with quote

to follow up on mr. pullman's question about which version of the entyre failed on my ev, it was the original not the 2.0.

i just replaced the two front tires with nokian ones and left the two original entyre tires on the back. all the tyres are 225/60R16. the nokian ones are load rated at 98 and the entyres are 102xl. i've only driven about 2 hours with this configuration, but so far, i like the way the combo works.

hope it lasts... Rolling Eyes
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: nokian tire replacement Reply with quote

I've been running Vredestein Quatracs for the past 5 years and 35K miles and have been very happy with them. Pretty inexpensive IMO from Tirerack.
Jonwid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: nokian tire replacement Reply with quote

Just replaced our Nokian Entyre’s that we’ve had for 5 years. One of the Entyres went entirely out of round and caused a bad wobble in the front end.

Couldn’t find the Entyre’s in the same configuration 225/60-16. Oh well.

Amazon had a set of Kumho Crugan 235/60-16 104T for $105ea. Had them shipped direct to my local PepBoys and they put them on for $79.95.

Fantastic new tire option! Only thing is, your EV must be “leveled” to use the Kumho 235’s. (Raise the front torsion bars.). The 235/60’s are a smidge taller and a smidge wider, but at 104T you get even more weight allowance than the OEM 225 at 102.

“Gowesty” .com in Paso Robles has an article recommending going to the 235’s for leveled EV’s and campers. They are right!

Snap up the Kumho Crugans!
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: nokian tire replacement Reply with quote

Jonwid wrote:
Just replaced our Nokian Entyre’s that we’ve had for 5 years. One of the Entyres went entirely out of round and caused a bad wobble in the front end.
Amazon had a set of Kumho Crugan 235/60-16 104T for $105ea. Had them shipped direct to my local PepBoys and they put them on for $79.95.
Fantastic new tire option!
Snap up the Kumho Crugans!

Agree completely! We had to get that same tire installed during a trip last summer. Fine tire that has served us well. The 104 weight rating is a big plus.
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: nokian tire replacement Reply with quote

Good to know!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: