Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

why are there shims on my spindle?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: why are there shims on my spindle? Reply with quote

Pulling my spindles apart to get them rebuilt and the passenger side had shims between the spacer and seal? I assume this is just some hack job?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: why are there shims on my spindle? Reply with quote

Did they put the spacer/seal race on backwards and wedge it onto the spindle?

There should not be any shims.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: why are there shims on my spindle? Reply with quote

Yeah it was on backwards and didn’t want to come off the spindle. Had to use a puller.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: why are there shims on my spindle? Reply with quote

I've sent several spindles here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1036798
Real good work & advice if needed.

I've also seen that "hack" before. I have no idea why.
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: why are there shims on my spindle? Reply with quote

Yeah going to send them to Greg in the next couple of days.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: why are there shims on my spindle? Reply with quote

TheVintageVw wrote:
Yeah it was on backwards and didn’t want to come off the spindle. Had to use a puller.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2236326.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2236325.jpg

They were probably trying to compensate for screwing up the installation of the seal race. It actually will work backwards without doing anything, but it really wedges onto the spindle when the nuts get tightened down.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: why are there shims on my spindle? Reply with quote

That looks like something someone would do to space the whole works outward in the case of damaged spindle threads, so that the nut(s) could get a better grip on some sound threads.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: why are there shims on my spindle? Reply with quote

Lind:"They were probably trying to compensate for screwing up the installation of the seal race. It actually will work backwards without doing anything, but it really wedges onto the spindle when the nuts get tightened down".EQ.
The last thing I would ever do is a Hack on spindles or hub, I know it spins, but what may happen down the road? Shocked Funny, I've seen that more than once, even on one side not the other.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: why are there shims on my spindle? Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
Lind:"They were probably trying to compensate for screwing up the installation of the seal race. It actually will work backwards without doing anything, but it really wedges onto the spindle when the nuts get tightened down".EQ.
The last thing I would ever do is a Hack on spindles or hub, I know it spins, but what may happen down the road? Shocked Funny, I've seen that more than once, even on one side not the other.
Same here, I have seen it done multiple times where it obviously worked for years. I figure there is a 50/50 chance of it going on wrong if the mechanic just picks it up and randomly slides it on the spindle without looking at what they are doing. They probably don't even know that they got it wrong, that is for the next guy to find out when he is trying to fix their screw-up.
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: why are there shims on my spindle? Reply with quote

The spacer doesnt actually spin on the spindle right? The drum rides on top of the spacer?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: why are there shims on my spindle? Reply with quote

TheVintageVw wrote:
The spacer doesnt actually spin on the spindle right? The drum rides on top of the spacer?

The grease seal rides on the spacer, or really close to the spacer anyway. The original grease seals are felt inside a steel housing. Reproductions are rubber. I prefer the original style. If you carefully pull them out of the drum, you can reuse them.
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: why are there shims on my spindle? Reply with quote

While we’re on the topic of shims, there were no shims between spindle and torsion arms. Probably part of the hack job.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: