Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odd front windshield frame
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alois66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Odd front windshield frame Reply with quote

Dear Ghia fellows,

I am about to put my front windshield in. Checking the frame (it was rusted out on the lower left corner, which is fixed now), I was wondering how the seal can fit the frame properly as there is a kinda angle trim mounted/welded. (3x on the top and all along the bottom side.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Repaired area: left front bottom viewed from the inside.

Is this correct and if so, should I leave it or get a new seal which takes this angle in account?
The old seal (parts of it can be seen in the "red" picture for reference) for sure didn't fit well on the inside and I am certain, the current new one I have, will not either.

Any advice is highly appreciated

All the best
Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd front windshield frame Reply with quote

It’s a safety feature added on later cars to make it more difficult for the windshield to pop out in an accident. It also makes it more difficult to put your window in.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Odd front windshield frame Reply with quote

Curious as to what the consensus is on removing?
I have the same situation and am leaning towards removing the cleats. All in the interest of making the windshield install that much easier.
I realize that it was put in for a good reason (safety) and VW doesn't do anything without a reason. Couldn't pin down the year it was added but certainly the majority of restorations don't have it (original or as a mod).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Odd front windshield frame Reply with quote

Are you using the aluminum trim with the seal or no trim "Cal-Look"?
The Cal-look is easier to install but the aluminum trim looks nicer IMO.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Odd front windshield frame Reply with quote

gorbur wrote:
Curious as to what the consensus is on removing?
I have the same situation and am leaning towards removing the cleats. All in the interest of making the windshield install that much easier.
I realize that it was put in for a good reason (safety) and VW doesn't do anything without a reason. Couldn't pin down the year it was added but certainly the majority of restorations don't have it (original or as a mod).

Problem is new aftermarket seals don’t account for that fat lip and won’t fit with it on. I remove them.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Odd front windshield frame Reply with quote

Hoping to reinstall the bright chrome t trim. To me its a good part of the character of the car. From what I've read though It's the challenge. So looking to improve my odds when its time to install the new glass.
The new seal I have is exactly as Braukuche mentioned. Definitely not made for the serration strip. Its not blocked so waiting for the blocked one to arrive but probably the same issue.
The strip goes, thanks.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Odd front windshield frame Reply with quote

gorbur wrote:
Hoping to reinstall the bright chrome t trim. To me its a good part of the character of the car. From what I've read though It's the challenge. So looking to improve my odds when its time to install the new glass.
The new seal I have is exactly as Braukuche mentioned. Definitely not made for the serration strip. Its not blocked so waiting for the blocked one to arrive but probably the same issue.
The strip goes, thanks.

Don't give up on the strips. I did a 71 with a new blocked seal and it worked just fine in my case.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Alois66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Odd front windshield frame Reply with quote

I have taken the strange lip off. The safety is not so much an issue anymore, as the cars a not so frequently used anymore. BR Max
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Odd front windshield frame Reply with quote

Yes, it is harder to install the chrome strip and YES you should do it. Practice will make you perfect at this. The Cal Look is a bunch of crap for those who have no patients to install this excellent feature. Really, if you want a cheap Chevette, buy a cheap Chevette (one without the windshield trim). I am so tired of going to shows and seeing VWs with the solid black front and rear glass gaskets when I Know of at least one company that makes and sells the right gasket and trim. It may take days for you to get this right and more than one set of trims, but I guarantee you will be happy with the results. I remember well, how long it took me to get my first Beetle right. Hopefully you are better at this......but it will look better!
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Odd front windshield frame Reply with quote

The seal / glass has become the deciding factor.
Not a problem finding a good blocked t-trim seal for the clinch stripped Ghias (p/n 143 845 121 D). However some seals are for the original 6mm glass and others for newer, slightly thicker replacement glass. The slightly older “… 121 C” version of the seal accommodates the thicker glass but not the clinch strip.
Given that off go the strips.
Alois66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd front windshield frame Reply with quote

Dear Samba members,
Just an update for the windshield install progress.
As mentioned the cleats were removed. I used a blocked seal with chrome trim and little silicone on the seal, which makes it much easier. The seal was preinstalled with trim on the glas for a couple of days. Rear installation was difficult as I got the impression the window has to be bent / pushed inwards on the sides. In the beginning I thought the assembly could be pushed in only to a certain extent. Finally the clue was to set first the window in the frame on the bottom center and pulling the strings for the lip at the same time to set the seal.
Start with the single glas window first (mine was the rear one) as it is more sturdy and not sensitive to heat, as the double pane safety glas for the front. Get your experience and then do the second one.
The front worked much better.
Worked for me with persuasion help inside and well washed feet.

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Odd front windshield frame Reply with quote

Congratulations for getting past this job. I was very relieved to get it done, but it was not as bad as I thought it would be. Nice color, looks very sharp.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: