Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
leadvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Today I installed a new kitchen light. This is the one available from eurocampers. Be aware this light is not "plug and play". Some adaptation is required, Also, Winnebago cut the molding around the fixture, creating a huge hole that this light is not large enough to conceal. The 3-way switch works great and is programmable for brightness levels. I may figure this feature out, as there is no frosted lens and on high it is a bit harsh on the eyes.
Overall, I like it. Attractive and functional. Cheers

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Checked that my ps lines are still well clear of my exhaust manifold…all well

Great advice here on this Forum!
Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

I added a temp gauge for my transmission, following this great guide on our sister forum.

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/eurovan-adding-a-transmission-temperature-gauge.7492658/page-4

It's a pretty nifty addition to my dash board, if nothing else Smile
hjsaunde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Checked the tire pressure and refilled, got new wiper blades, and refilled the propane tank! Getting ready to take her to the mountains tomorrow!
weyax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Resprayed the old grey bumpers:

And put some more Horse-Powers to the old TDI:

Ready for the next rides:

Salut

Alex
weyax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

weyax wrote:

Salut

Alex
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Taking a little road trip and shakedown cruise in the freshly done automatic to manual swap in my 2003 Eurovan. I honestly don't know if I'm brave, smart, or crazy!
[img]
[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusjeCA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

I rebuilt the (ACU) engine in my garage. All new bearings, rings, valves and gaskets. Runs smoooooooth now.

69 Ghia (GHIATJE)
79 Bus (BUSJE)
05 EVC with rebuilt engine (your's truly)
79 Beech Sundowner (SKYBUSJE)

My lovely wife drives a Subaru. We almost exclusively use boxers to pump CO2 into this world
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VolksVelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Mon Dieu, weyax! Is it the Velo Solex in the back? Still rideable? It's the very first motorized bike I had the chance to practice on many years ago but gave up after numerous crashes. Last time I saw one in Paris about 15 years ago but it looked abandoned.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

weyax wrote:

Salut

Alex

T4 Westfalia California Exclusive !! Very Happy
weyax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Worked on the Syncro......For better gas exhaust absorbation:

little bit more Airventilation for hot days on the other side:

ready for the new summer season:

On the Cali a pair of Anti-Air:

a new carpet

ready to start into new adventures after a long winter:

Salut

Alex
Old Canadian Hippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

I wired the Maxxfan Deluxe and ran the wires for the led to the distribution box. This is the hardest learning curve in my life!! Question: has anyone done a dc to dc battery charger in a 2000 Eurovan? I now have 200 watt solar and a 1000 watt inverter on a 100 Ah 12v lithium battery, but am concerned that in shady campsites, i might need more power. Shore power not an option because too many big rigs there.
writehanded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Just finished: Remodeled the interior of my 2003 EVC to oak, inlaid with cherry, mahogany & walnut. I split the stove-sink cover-counter after adding piano hinges. It solved the counter space dilemma that all EVCs have. I added a full mirror to the top door and made a double hinged door for that big one on the bottom that normally is not serviceable. The interior was repainted after priming everything everywhere. I added a shortened version of the sliding seat/bed so there is more room to store a couple of 8x8 on the side. I made a new oak and cherry table that was a little larger than the larger Winnebago tables and now use a single table instead of trying to figure out what to do with two dysfunctional ones. I lost the original refrigerator and installed a Truckfridge front sliding door style. Next to it, there was room for a cabinet drawer that has a utensil drawer on top and a space that holds 4 bottles of wine and my Kreig coffee maker. So far, so good.

Last edited by writehanded on Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
writehanded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Old Canadian Hippie wrote:
I wired the Maxxfan Deluxe and ran the wires for the led to the distribution box. This is the hardest learning curve in my life!! Question: has anyone done a dc to dc battery charger in a 2000 Eurovan? I now have 200 watt solar and a 1000 watt inverter on a 100 Ah 12v lithium battery, but am concerned that in shady campsites, i might need more power. Shore power not an option because too many big rigs there.

Yes, I did. There's a perfect place if you have the EVC next to the heater, under the plastic cowling. I used a Renogy 40 amp DC-DC charger that is part of the LifePo4 (100ah) and 200 watt suitcase solar charger from Renogy. You'll need to run your acc ignition wire to the back to control the charger but it's not too hard to get it to the charger. I also ripped out the old AC charger and installed an Inteli-Power charger that is kind to lithium batteries. Finally, I installed a Renogy 1000 watt inverter. It hooked up perfectly to the battery as it's installed right over the battery top cover. It's like it was designed to be fitted there. I ran an AC cord to the passenger side of the van near the back seat along with a remote on-off switch. Makes making coffee feel like cheating! The last pic is the outside 12 Volt charging port that also supplies outdoor power as it is a two-way connection to the coach battery. I sometimes use a double pigtail 1 foot extension so I can charge and use gadgets at the same time. The fixture is where the old vent was since LifePo4 needs no venting. Speaking of ventilation, it's very important to vent the DC-DC charger as well as the inverter. I've put in grills for both in my van.

RiversToTheSea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Not quite today, but I recently finished several upgrades to my new-to-me Eurovan Winnebago.

It came with a really terrible cheap Alpine aftermarket stereo, and given the huge blind spots in the back (I've already backed into my garbage can TWICE) I wanted to replace it with a new double-DIN unit with integrated backup camera.

I found a decent BOSS system on Crutchfield with all the modern stuff: Streaming, Android Auto, Backup camera input, BlueTooth, and best of all a 7" touchscreen that pokes out from the single-DIN box.

It started because the heater fan resistors were burned out and the only way to get to them seemed to be to pull the whole dash, so away I went.

Not my first rodeo, I've pulled the dash from four other cars, but this is my first VW.

My workspace, and time to clean out all the dust & dirt. I think this thing went to Burning Man at least once based on all the fine talc-y powder inside everything.

All the big pieces I removed.

I had to remove the entire top bunk boards and rails in order to pull the plastic interior panels out to run the backup camera wiring. That took a whole day.

Almost finished!

Dash in, headunit powered on, everything works! I did this at the same time I swapped out my ECU, so when I had it buttoned up and it was time to power it all back on I was kinda stressed.

But the headunit fired right up and worked, and when I hit the starter the engine started and ran great too! Overall a huge success.

What worked well:
The Crutchfield kit include the VW harness and I have mad soldering skills so making up the adapter was a piece of cake.

I didn't wire the backup camera to the backup lights, instead I wired it to a switch that I put in one of the blank plates in the dash (just left of the recirc switch in the photo above). This way I can turn on the camera any time I want to. I plan to pull a motorcycle trailer, so now I can take a peek at the trailer while I'm driving to make sure everything's copacetic back there. I mounted the camera up on top of the hatch to give a good high downward view.

What I struggled with:
Releasing the big electrical connector on top of the ECU was very difficult. I didn't want to break anything so I didn't want to apply too much force to the plastic release, but it really did need a lot of yanking, pulling, and shouting to release.

Pulling the Winnebago interior trim was a huge pain and added a full day to the project. More shouting was involved, but all the camera wiring is concealed and protected.

What didn't work:
The audio headunit came with two USB cables which I wanted to connect to bulkhead USB ports installed in the blank plate above the ash tray. Because USB is stupid, the female ends on the stereo cables don't fit the male ends on the bulkhead plugs. I ordered new bulkhead plugs from a different vendor, hoping they will fit. I really didn't expect this incompatibility, and I don't know how to specify what kind of USB connector I need here, so it's just gonna have to be trial and error I guess.

But overall my first big Eurovan project was pretty successful and I'm ready to take this out camping!
02Berry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Removed & installed new pop-top seal on the EVW.

Got it from GoWesty, the pre-packaged Weekender one. I was surprised at the quality of the material, and the simplicity of the process. If I have to do it over again -- and I will have to, after I bite the bullet and get the cracked fiberglass repaired & maybe even repainted -- I would:

(a) get a better tie-down strap to lower the top down to 8" or so, and block it at both front corners, rather than in the center, for more stability;
(b) find myself a rubber mallet to tap the seal into place all along the edge (my thumb is still numb from pressing it on);
(c) experiment with cutting the seal straight, possibly with some kind of tin-snips; and
(d) start earlier in the day. Working by night was fine along the last long straight edge, but I needed help holding a light for the last sharp bend at the rear.

On surprise: A ladder wasn't enough. I hadn't expected to need to climb onto the windshield & brace a foot on the top edge of the hood, to do the work front & center.

Wind noise is markedly better, but we still have some that seems to be coming from above (as well as quite a bit that seems to be coming from the slider windows and maybe door weatherstripping.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Gauges!!

smores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Nice work! Where did you place the sending unit for water temperature? I want to add one, but am at a loss on where to put one that will give accurate readings.

EuroTec wrote:
Gauges!!

Karami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

Installed a ATOTO S8 Standard single Din with a reverse camera, new speakers in the rear and the front.
I used a wiring harness which made it easier but it turned into quite a project.
(all links are Canadian)
The head unit get power from the auxiliary battery (the little panel behind the drivers seat) and is not ignition switched so we can enjoy it while parked.
I never heard of the brand but it is an impressive piece of kit for the money, I can't praise enough. It pretty much plays anything you throw at it. The screen is crispy clear and very responsive.

bikes!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Eurovan or T4 today? Reply with quote

The JB weld "repairs" done to the holes in my van's exhaust system during a camping trip last month did not fare well, so I replaced the rusty and leaking stock exhaust with Techtonics Tuning stainless steel dual muffler system.
Forgot to take pictures of the TT system as received, but it was incredibly well packed. Everything fit in a manner which suggests they have built a lot of exhaust systems for Eurovans and have made jigs to ease their construction of each system. Welds are very even and deft. Even the instructions were very clear.
Not that it matters much on a van, but the TT system weighs 16 kg and the stock system was over 20 kg (checked with a household scale, so probably accurate to the nearest 500g...).
And, it sounds great - nice VR6 rumble when accelerating, but barely noticeable at highway speeds.

Here are some okay photos showing the before and after condition.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: