Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lieutenant Van a VWLT build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
westyventures wrote:
I prefer to keep things that work and modify for more efficiency and power.

Which is exactly how you got into the business of ripping out absorption fridges and replacing them with compressor-driven units? Very Happy

Dig the changes. By far the best addition you've made is the variable turbo. Haven't seen that done before. I'm plenty happy with power up high, but the lag is killer without significant boost under 2400. The progress you made there I'll be attempting to reproduce once I source the ancillaries and the spare syncro arrives.

Ha - funny guy. FWIW, I modded the absorption fridge in this camper, added fans to pull the heat out, but once the ambient temps approached 85-90 F it just couldn't keep up. Worked great at temps below that! So it ended up with a Vitrifrigo C60, a 125Ah battery, and 400 watts of solar - perfect. Found out early on these work the best when packed full. In Baja this winter it maintained 30-35 degrees in the center of the fridge at the lowest dial setting the entire time.

Both the VNT turbo and intercooler are important factors to what I achieved. Without the intercooler air inlet temps in summer would be in 250+ range at 15-20 psi. Now it will be close to ambient. The lack of smoke and greatly increased response is nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

Where to start?

Still smuggling parts to MX.

Marcos has rebuilt the motor. Rebuilt IP, injectors, turbo. Machined heads and resealed everything else. Motor looking good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 3.0 lump should be back in LT Van next week.

Added an oil cooling sandwich plate and new oil radiator.

Removed the belt driven fan to be replaced by two switched electric fans on the new radiator. No pictures yet.

the driveline is also going back together. The bearings in EVERYTHING were installed with mis matched cups and rollers. So EVERY drive line, different(s), and rotating member components from the tranny out to the hubs- have been disassembled, cleaned, machined and reassembled.
New seals and bearings throughout - I think there are 20 plus sets of bearings to buy!

Same with EVERYTHING touching the “suspension” components and brakes. All bushes, joints, shocks and whatever have been removed, cleaned, machined and going back together in the next couple of weeks.

The plan is to sell a kidney and then move on to five weeks of rust repair.

Oh yeaaaaa. I’m sooooo sexy and Thick!!
It’s ok to touch the photo.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

In the meantime. Here are some photos before deconstructing. Maybe of interest to folks?

Here are the dimensions. Kind of the size of a 144 wheelbase sprinter but 72” wide.

Filled with imported contraband.

Tired Volvo/VW variant D2.4l diesel intercooled turbo motor.

The rear camper table and bed. This saved me 22.5% import tax as these bits made it a camper and not a truck.

Front camper bits. And note the over cab storage area?

Rear double doors. A lot of space to store stuff.

A rare bumper made it’s way from a Sulzer (1 of 156) build to mine. Someone in the EU is looking at a naked van and scratching their head.

The cab.
When seated in the driver suspension seat I cannot physically touch the person in the passenger seat. Which may be a good thing.

Original rubber flooring was in great condition. Metal under? Not so much.

Possible COVID source.

Nice door cards.

Pass thru door and minor security bar.

Questionable aux tanks. Since removed. One was rubbing on the rear tire.
I’m grateful for the extra fill spout though.

These left VW line as dually rear wheels. When converted by third party conversion companies (like Sulzer) to 4wd they lost a rim. Mine was converted by VW but still has the dually wheel well. It will get removed in a few weeks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

Did you throw together those camper bits to make it a camper for import? Great idea, especially since it'll be a camper anyway.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Did you throw together those camper bits to make it a camper for import? Great idea, especially since it'll be a camper anyway.

No. The PO used it as a camper.

However the lesson here is to add those minimum items to have it declared a camper before import. Somewhere USDOT has some “requirements “ for what defines a camper. The list includes but I don’t recall how many of these you need.

Stove, bed, sink, refer, heater.

In the end it will be a judgement call by the US Customs staff. You can pay the Chicken tax of 25% or the vehicle import tax of 2.5% of purchase value.
jhax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

Nice thread! I got the opportunity to meet and hang out with Mike in person. Very good people. My T3 is currently 20 miles off the port of Galveston, my partner and I are flying out to pick it up on Friday. Out of curiosity, what brand of oil cooler and sandwich plate did you end up using?
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

jhax wrote:
Out of curiosity, what brand of oil cooler and sandwich plate did you end up using?

Mocal makes some of the best. AVOID the Setrab oil cooler sandwich, absolute crap castings that crack. Mocal makes a billet piece which I've only found in UK vendors.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/A3qgMzAwQLmNo1GK6
Setrab coolers are nicely made but again, seem a tad flimsy; if I had it to do over again I'd go Mocal there also.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kt1mWf1iX7Z6D7KN7
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
The list includes but I don’t recall how many of these you need.

Stove, bed, sink, refer, heater.

Reefer? I didn't realize US Customs had a clause for old VW vans and reefer going together.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
jhax wrote:
Out of curiosity, what brand of oil cooler and sandwich plate did you end up using?

Mocal makes some of the best. AVOID the Setrab oil cooler sandwich, absolute crap castings that crack. Mocal makes a billet piece which I've only found in UK vendors.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/A3qgMzAwQLmNo1GK6
Setrab coolers are nicely made but again, seem a tad flimsy; if I had it to do over again I'd go Mocal there also.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kt1mWf1iX7Z6D7KN7

I am the owner of a Setrab but I may have hit a new low as I’m using an Evil Energy plate. Probably not much better than the Setrab? Guess I’ll watch it.
Thanks for the tip.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

I plan to run a 24v house system to support 24v AC, 3/4 size refer, hydronic heat, fans and cook top. advantages to running 24v. Lots of good info here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi7eswWwosk&t=135s

https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/4000-watt-24v-solar-system.html

I’m thinking three roof top solar panels will fit and I have an idea how to add another two tilting panels for another 800w. I’m also looking into a
24v aux alternator and management via Victron’s platform.

So starting out. I purchase 8 Eve 280aH LiFePO4 batteries, an OverkillBMS and a modular battery box. I’ve been building these cells into a 24v battery.

Here is the basic setup from Will Prowes and OverkillBMS website.

First final format of my long box. This is about 6.7kw.

I’m still going to do some work with the BMS storage and mounting.

]

Here is a square configuration I was thinking about.

I think I’m going long and skinny with the option to store two of these stacked.

Top balancing the cells.

OverkillBMS. Settings and iPhone interface. ATM they don’t integrate into the VictronConnect platform but there is a project in the works to do this.

Settings.

iPhone monitoring Bluetooth app.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

That doesn’t make any sense at all. Where are those open terminals connected?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

To the adjacent terminal?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

If I was gonna do all that, I would add an external receptacle to have the ability to add an additional portable panel or two.

https://gpelectric.com/products/200-watt-portable-solar-kit/
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

Looks great, thanks for sharing! Couple of questions:

1. Is that a 3D-printed case or an aftermarket case? Do you have a link to it?

2. I assume you have some attachment to protect the BMS, or is it supposed to be open outside like in the second picture?

3. And lastly, where/how did you obtain the 280Ah cells? I'm still debating if I should go the DIY route or not.

rmcd wrote:

]

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
Looks great, thanks for sharing! Couple of questions:

1. Is that a 3D-printed case or an aftermarket case? Do you have a link to it?

2. I assume you have some attachment to protect the BMS, or is it supposed to be open outside like in the second picture?

3. And lastly, where/how did you obtain the 280Ah cells? I'm still debating if I should go the DIY route or not.

rmcd wrote:

]

Eve batt cells. https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/raw-lifepo4-deals-page.html
Unfortunately they’re up in price and do take three months.

Modular batt case by Etsy maker Protario
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1045757113/280ah-lifepo4-battery-pack?ref=hp_rf-1&pro=1

And unfortunately the BMS external mounting is kind of typical. I don’t like it but am struggling to come up with another approach. Ideas?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

Here are the dimensions. Kind of the size of a 144 wheelbase sprinter but 72” wide.

And for comparison:

I found it interesting that the length over all and the wheel base are almost the same. WB ~2" longer and LOA 2" as well. Worth noting that the height from the interior floor to the rain gutter is an inch less and the floor is almost 8" more. This would be a stopper for me as loading stuff and me into the slider is one of the things I love about the T3 and also one of the reasons I rejected the T4 as an option.

Wonder how they handle as it's quite a bit wider.

Duncan
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

It feels like I could drive the Syncro into the back! Of course not.

rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
If I was gonna do all that, I would add an external receptacle to have the ability to add an additional portable panel or two.

https://gpelectric.com/products/200-watt-portable-solar-kit/

Absolutely. I did this with my Syncro poptop. Provisions on roof for extra plugs including radio, satellite tv, and solar.

I also have an idea for slide out 450w panels that stow under the existing three panels. Once pulled out like a drawer then they can tilt for an extra 800w.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
To the adjacent terminal?

Ah, I was flummoxed by the fact that each cell was sitting vertically in the diagram, not horizontally.

Enlightenment has burst upon me like a blossoming flower.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Lieutenant Van a VWLT build Reply with quote

Non 4wd on BAT.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-volkswagen-lt45/

I’ve been doing a zillion camper layout plans. The layout of the BAT is very close to my final “Murphy bed” layout design.

And I really appreciate the color scheme.

Bidding jumped from 20k to 50k. Getting exciting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: