Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Fuel injection questions thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
That would be a good thing to try, a little light oil (WD-40?) down the holes before the first crank wouldn't hurt either. And hand turn the engine through at least 4 full rotations with the alternator nut first, if a valve is stuck you'll bend it with the starter. Disconnect the plug from the AFM (the aluminum box between the air filter and S boot) before cranking, no need for the fuel pump to try and push some goo into the system.
That sounds like a plan. If he actually tries to start it after this, I recommend fire extinguishers handy. Goo in the fuel system slipped my mind. I bet that's some fine booze... or beyond by now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I just finished replacing all of the fuel lines, tank, etc. on my 1975 SB, and now I’m doing the vacuum lines. It seems as if the state of these lines was non-factory when I got the car, and I’m hoping y’all can help me with a few questions. I’ve got the Bentley manual but it doesn’t seem to have this level of detail (a line diagram would be perfect).

The original state of the engine as when I got the car:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This leaves me with a few questions:
1. The small vacuum line T-connector on driver’s side of engine doesn’t seem to match a OEM photo I found.
2. The EGR valve doesn’t seem to have any vacuum line connected, perhaps related to #1?
3. There seems to be the wrong kind of hose going from the T connector underneath the intake boot to just below the alternator pulley; which hose is this supposed to be?
4. It looks like there is a missing hose from the side of the air cleaner body’s oil gas mechanism back to the air intake; what’s the proper name of this hose?
5. The fuel line in this photo is going up over the coil and over to the cold start valve, but I think the proper routing is supposed to be below it; is that right?

Another view of the driver’s side vacuum lines for more detail (taken today).
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

I can't find the 75/76 diagram right now, here's the later one: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=282555&highlight=vacuum+diagram , the EGR should have a line on it as well, Teed into constant vacuum somewhere. Make sure the EGR holds vacuum before connecting it.
That hose to the AAR is NLA, Kevin (KKiley) found one that fits from a Dodge or something, there's pics and a link somewhere back earlier in this thread.
That breather hose is NLA right now as well, is that port on the air cleaner actually open?, some aren't and they hook up similarly to what you have going on now.
Yes, that fuel line should be below the coil.

Edit: Here's some discussion on the breather as well as a vacuum diagram: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9313072#9313072
And here's a pic of the 75 system with arrows and colored lines and stuff:

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Adding this promotional photo of a 1975's engine bay for reference. Found at https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/amv-prod-cad-...Beetle.jpg

plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I can't find the 75/76 diagram right now, here's the later one: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=282555&highlight=vacuum+diagram , the EGR should have a line on it as well, Teed into constant vacuum somewhere. Make sure the EGR holds vacuum before connecting it.
That hose to the AAR is NLA, Kevin (KKiley) found one that fits from a Dodge or something, there's pics and a link somewhere back earlier in this thread.
That breather hose is NLA right now as well, is that port on the air cleaner actually open?, some aren't and they hook up similarly to what you have going on now.
Yes, that fuel line should be below the coil.

Edit: Here's some discussion on the breather as well as a vacuum diagram: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9313072#9313072
And here's a pic of the 75 system with arrows and colored lines and stuff:

thanks!

near as I can tell the previous owner bypassed the EGR system. I haven't tested the valve yet, but I can tell the EGR pipes' gaskets are rotted and those are open, so that likely wasn't working well.

The return hose for the oil gasses to the air intake was missing, so that probablyy explains why the idle speed screw seems pretty far adjusted.

I'll skip the EGR for now on the restart and then see if I can get it all back to factory. Fun!
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Plextor - I repaired my ‘79 FI system and brought it back to stock last year. I agree the EGR is low priority as long as the associated seals are good, no leaks.

The PO plugged the tube from the exhaust to the EGR diaphragm. I decided to leave it that way.
Maltboy!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Lost69Convertible wrote:

The PO plugged the tube from the exhaust to the EGR diaphragm. I decided to leave it that way.

Same here. I welded the EGR shut at the muffler flange. There's no good reason to inject corrosive gasses into a perfectly good engine. The key is to make sure there are no leaks at the flanges or rust holes in the plumbing. The original aluminum casting that joins the EGR valve and the plenum was corroded clean through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Thought experiment / advice needed.

Today was a start attempt. At this stage, I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, all the soft lines fuel lines, cleaned the injectors, cleaned out the hard fuel lines (carb cleaner and air pressure), and replaced a variety of vacuum and breather lines to get it ready to go.

Before I hooked the fuel pump's power up to the car, I power cycled it with a bench power supply. It sucked some fuel into the system pretty quickly but after a few seconds it sounded like the system was pressurized, flow stopped, and the fuel pump started to pull more amps.

I didn't expect that to be normal, but I'm honestly not sure how the fuel pressure regulator does its job without engine vacuum (that is, should I expect fuel to freely flow throughout the whole system and back into the tank if the fuel pump only is running?) so I went ahead and hooked everything up for a full start.

As I expected, no dice. Oil pressure, etc. is good but fuel isn't making it where it needs to go.

Frustrated for a bit since I probably screwed up something along the way during this long process.

Thinking what might be wrong, I'm wondering now if I swapped the connections to the two hard lines from the fuel pump (so that I'm pumping into the back of the fuel pressure regulator, rather than the correct side and returning via the regulator). I'm pretty sure I triple checked this when I was cleaning out the hard lines, but you know how that goes.

At this stage, with the car assembled and fuel in the lines, etc. - what's my best course of action to find out why fuel isn't pumping in a loop through the system?
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

plextor wrote:
Thought experiment / advice needed.

Today was a start attempt. At this stage, I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, all the soft lines fuel lines, cleaned the injectors, cleaned out the hard fuel lines (carb cleaner and air pressure), and replaced a variety of vacuum and breather lines to get it ready to go.

Before I hooked the fuel pump's power up to the car, I power cycled it with a bench power supply. It sucked some fuel into the system pretty quickly but after a few seconds it sounded like the system was pressurized, flow stopped, and the fuel pump started to pull more amps.

I didn't expect that to be normal, but I'm honestly not sure how the fuel pressure regulator does its job without engine vacuum (that is, should I expect fuel to freely flow throughout the whole system and back into the tank if the fuel pump only is running?) so I went ahead and hooked everything up for a full start.

As I expected, no dice. Oil pressure, etc. is good but fuel isn't making it where it needs to go.

Frustrated for a bit since I probably screwed up something along the way during this long process.

Thinking what might be wrong, I'm wondering now if I swapped the connections to the two hard lines from the fuel pump (so that I'm pumping into the back of the fuel pressure regulator, rather than the correct side and returning via the regulator). I'm pretty sure I triple checked this when I was cleaning out the hard lines, but you know how that goes.

At this stage, with the car assembled and fuel in the lines, etc. - what's my best course of action to find out why fuel isn't pumping in a loop through the system?

I think I've got a few not too hard tests to do next:

1. disconnect the front soft fuel lines from the hard and make a loop from the fuel pump back into the tank, just to make sure that there's nothing there (kinked hose, clog in the tank - it's new but who knows).

2. disconnect the back hard line on the driver's side (intake line) and route it temporarily back into the tank, to make sure flow is good through that line.

3. temporarily bridge the back hard lines together to repeat the fuel loop test without anything in the engine, including the fuel pressure regulator.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

You are on the right track, the FPR allows flow regardless of vacuum, it reduces pressure when vacuum rises. Aside from a possible blocked line the swaped hoses is a good place to start, I don't think it'll pass fuel in reverse.

When you reinstalled the tank are you sure you didn't kink a line underneath?, it's easy to do, have a helper pull on them from below as you lower it into place.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

plextor wrote:
what's my best course of action to find out why fuel isn't pumping in a loop through the system?

I recommend leaving the tank and pump connections alone for now. As designed, the pump should send fuel to the rail at cylinders 3 and 4 on the drivers side of the car. Crawl under the drivers side rear wheel and you'll find the fuel hose leading to 3-4. Using all the correct safety steps (don't let gas vapors build, no ignition sources nearby, etc.) disconnect the fuel hose from the 3-4 rail and put the end in a container below the car. For the fuel hose leading to the rail for cylinders 1 and 3 - carefully pinch it closed with small vice grips.

Unsnap and lift the cap off the distributor for safety. Turn the ignition key to ON.
Depress the AFM intake flap to start the fuel pump for a few seconds.

Does fuel pump into the container under the car?
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Good tips... stay tuned (probably next weekend!)
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Lost69Convertible wrote:
plextor wrote:
what's my best course of action to find out why fuel isn't pumping in a loop through the system?

I recommend leaving the tank and pump connections alone for now. As designed, the pump should send fuel to the rail at cylinders 3 and 4 on the drivers side of the car. Crawl under the drivers side rear wheel and you'll find the fuel hose leading to 3-4. Using all the correct safety steps (don't let gas vapors build, no ignition sources nearby, etc.) disconnect the fuel hose from the 3-4 rail and put the end in a container below the car. For the fuel hose leading to the rail for cylinders 1 and 3 - carefully pinch it closed with small vice grips.

Unsnap and lift the cap off the distributor for safety. Turn the ignition key to ON.
Depress the AFM intake flap to start the fuel pump for a few seconds.

Does fuel pump into the container under the car?

Good ideas, but I'd like to add a few enhancements to the procedures.

Both of the pipes at the frame horn will gravity feed fuel when disconnected, and if the pump does work there'll suddenly be a whole lot more. Use a big container and make sure the end of the hose can't jump out when the flow starts. Pinching both lines up front and swapping them at the rear horn exit may be the less messy and troublesome option.

Disconnecting the green wire from the distributor to the coil is easier and safer than unsnapping the cap, it not only disables any spark or injector action, it prevents damage to the points or coil from leaving the key on too long.

Слава Україні!
walarson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Auxiliary air valve bracket attacment Reply with quote

Greetings. I'm a rooking rebuilding a 1976 FI sedan. The question of the day is how the auxiliary air valve bracket is attached to the engine.

Does it attach to the engine stud noted in the pic? If so, I clearly have the wrong length stud for that purpose. Thanks in advance.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Since that engine has a blocked off fuel pump pad I'm guessing it's not the original case?. You are correct, the stud is where that goes, you'll have to double nut the stud to remove it, then install a longer one.

What's the diameter of that fancy looking pulley?, it may cause some cooling issues if it's smaller than 7.25". It's great for setting up and initial timing, but consider a stock sized one for daily driving once it's dialed in.

Слава Україні!
walarson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Since that engine has a blocked off fuel pump pad I'm guessing it's not the original case?. You are correct, the stud is where that goes, you'll have to double nut the stud to remove it, then install a longer one.

What's the diameter of that fancy looking pulley?, it may cause some cooling issues if it's smaller than 7.25". It's great for setting up and initial timing, but consider a stock sized one for daily driving once it's dialed in.

Thanks for the response. Stud out. Off to the auto shop tomorrow. Also, thanks for the tip on the 7.25 requirement. I measured the pulley and its right at 7.25. Regards.
walarson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Greetings. Please note the two types of fuel injector collar fittings for a 76 beetle sedan. I had the injectors cleaned and inspected and am now in process of installing them.

Issue: the hose on the injectors was too short (the guy who did the cleaning added the short hose sections) to get enough bend to put the assembly in place. I simply pulled hose off the barb of the left injector and added correct length of hose. My problem is how to get the short piece of hose off the injector on the right? Note it does not have a barb but a metal collar. Do I cut the hose? Dremel off the collar? I cannot pull or twist it off. I could always splice in a short piece of hose but that seems mickey mouse.

Any ideas are appreciated. Merry Christmas.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

Those pushlok collars are OG equipment, so that makes the hose on that one 44 years old, you'll have to change it.
To remove you have two options, grind or dremel the collar, careful not to nick the injector or melt the plastic if it gets hot grinding. The other way is with a pointy Xacto knife, split the hose, you need the pointy knife to reach in under the collar, the caution with this way is don't slice up the plastic hose barb inside too much, lengthwise cuts make for tough sealing.

Use clamps to install the new hoses, that one on the left looks too long, I'd be concerned it'll kink.

Слава Україні!
walarson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Fuel injection questions thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Those pushlok collars are OG equipment, so that makes the hose on that one 44 years old, you'll have to change it.
To remove you have two options, grind or dremel the collar, careful not to nick the injector or melt the plastic if it gets hot grinding. The other way is with a pointy Xacto knife, split the hose, you need the pointy knife to reach in under the collar, the caution with this way is don't slice up the plastic hose barb inside too much, lengthwise cuts make for tough sealing.

Use clamps to install the new hoses, that one on the left looks too long, I'd be concerned it'll kink.

Thanks for the response. I cut the lines to the same length as the original lines before I had the injectors sent in for cleaning. I'll try and find my exacto knife...
Bugeye54487
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: fuel tank question Reply with quote

Are both feed and return lines suppose to flow both ways. Seem one of mine is blocked and does not flow. No one way valve on the tank or anything? Any way to unplug it? 78 super FI convertable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 56

Jump to: