Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

Might cut them out and graft in to the current hood.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

Had to get a couple tires mounted today so I can pull the slicks for spring. 215/65r15s
Max, don't look!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

I am officially going full stupid with the changes to this car.
I'll be honest, these changes will probably take 3 years minimum.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

1st stupid move complete...

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

I am trying to decide if I need the 1/4 window area or not. Good thing this is not a quick project.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

Plus

Equals: lift off hard top!

Question is: Pop out windows or no side windows/frames?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:

Plus

Equals: lift off hard top!

Question is: Pop out windows or no side windows/frames?

I'd go lexan pop out windows if I were doing it. It'll keep the weight down, and allow visibility on that corner, plus being able to get some ventilation in the car itself during the summer months. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

My daughter said she thinks it should be more open and 'light' looking. Basically just a sun shade. So, I am contemplating her idea.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

Well if the doors remain as they are, open would look cleaner. I might be tempted to reinforce the posts a bit. Kind of like the hardtop they put on dune buggies.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

The 215/65r15s actually fit the space the 26x6" M and H slicks were in. They are just shorter, so the RPM range will not change much.

I was a big worried until I had them side by side. Whew!

I have owned several sets of the LeMans wheels. The magnesium set was very light compared to the aluminum, but aside from that, there were two different versions. If you look at the picture, the silver will has a sharp lip on the rim portion of the wheel and the black does not. I had never noticed that prior to purchasing this pair.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
The 215/65r15s actually fit the space the 26x6" M and H slicks were in. They are just shorter, so the RPM range will not change much.

I was a big worried until I had them side by side. Whew!

I have owned several sets of the LeMans wheels. The magnesium set was very light compared to the aluminum, but aside from that, there were two different versions. If you look at the picture, the silver will has a sharp lip on the rim portion of the wheel and the black does not. I had never noticed that prior to purchasing this pair.

Looks like the back space might be different too. I'm just going off the rim lips inner portion.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

Hmmmm...

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

Stock height windshield? If so, it shouldn't be a problem.

Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

The frame reinforcement is a touch different shape from stock.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
The frame reinforcement is a touch different shape from stock.

If that's the case, you"ll probably have to cut the stock windshield posts off (the roof section). What I'd do is drill out the spot welds across the top of the opening, then separate the lip from the roof, then cut the posts near the roof. This should allow you to do some test fitting, and show you where you need to cut. You're trying to sneak up on it to cut down on having to re-weld parts back in.You'll need to pull the glass, and repeat the process on the pink portion, so you can get a better fit. Work slowly, since you're in no hurry. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

That is the plan. I just have to sort where that cut will be. The structure of the current frame on the car won't be compromised.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
That is the plan. I just have to sort where that cut will be. The structure of the current frame on the car won't be compromised.

So you're planning on just having the entire top portion as a lift off (like a Jeep hardtop)? If that's the case, then you won't need any of the windshield portion of the roof.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

I need just enough to afix a 2 MG midget latches
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
I need just enough to afix a 2 MG midget latches

What you're going to find is that you'll need to fabricate or relocate the front support of the roof section to give you something to latch to. Maybe even create some locating pins for alignment.
What you're probably going to find is that you're going to remove the front couple of inches of roof, then relocate that back where it'll end up butting near the existing WS frame. And alternative would be to go with some zuez (1/4 turn)fasteners and just lay the existing roof on top of the WS frame. Then you could build around that adding in your latches later. Basically you're going to need to plant the roof on (so it won't move), then work out from there, so you can build from there. You want that area secure, so you're not chasing your tail because it keeps moving. A lot of this is going be to roof on, roof off, then more of the same until you get it right.
I know this, as I went thru it when I was working on my home built convertible top frame. A lot of ideas passed, and some worked, while others didn't. I think I had a year just trying different ideas to get something that would work and fit in the space I wanted to put the folded up top.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

Remember I said this is a 3 year project Wink The upside is I have dealt with several convertible tops in the past as well as a lift off top. The downside is, I know it will be beyond fiddly for a while.

Last edited by vwfye on Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 32

Jump to: