Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speaker grill to clock/gage procedures..(cuts?)...
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Speaker grill to clock/gage procedures..(cuts?)... Reply with quote

So just to make sure there's no way around it....*IF* one wants to put anything other than the OG speaker in the grill area, (like those clocks/tachs/etc) then that vertical bar must be cut, correct? (Pic from previous pics as I searched but never found a thread solidifying "the deed". It pains me to cut ANYWHERE on my oval but clock/tach may be worth it as I ain't never putting a speaker there again) Wink (My assuption is that the little rust spots at 12 & 6 oclock suggest this one was cut at some point)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TIA
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaker grill to clock/gage procedures..(cuts?)... Reply with quote

yes, that one has been cut

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaker grill to clock/gage procedures..(cuts?)... Reply with quote

yes, that one has been cut

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaker grill to clock/gage procedures..(cuts?)... Reply with quote

I'm guessing that no one has documented with a write-up and photos of how to do it. I will probably be doing this in the future when I will probably be installing an original VDO tachometer in the speaker grill (this old tach has a small signal generator that runs off a flex cable attached to the a crankshaft pulley nut with a center drilled hole for the cable.

If/when I do this, I'll try to remember to write it up and take photos of the install process.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaker grill to clock/gage procedures..(cuts?)... Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
I'm guessing that no one has documented with a write-up and photos of how to do it. I will probably be doing this in the future when I will probably be installing an original VDO tachometer in the speaker grill (this old tach has a small signal generator that runs off a flex cable attached to the a crankshaft pulley nut with a center drilled hole for the cable.

If/when I do this, I'll try to remember to write it up and take photos of the install process.

Bill

If I don't beat you to it! Wink HOWEVER.........I find it surprising that this is readily accepted & not considered the most vehemently forbidden forms of taboo especially considering you're kinda' cutting into the dash's face, front & center.

And, yet many vintage shows I see folks with clocks, gages, multi-gage clusters etc....all of which would have only been accommodated by cutting that center bar........ANATHEMA!!! Wink Twisted Evil Shocked

Anyway....guess I'll have to cut if I want to put anything there.
Matts Bug Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaker grill to clock/gage procedures..(cuts?)... Reply with quote

Just cut it. Clocks, tachs and gauge clusters are such beautiful accessories!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
olo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Speaker grill to clock/gage procedures..(cuts?)... Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn’t t cut it too quickly 😁 research other options, do you really need this accessory?
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Speaker grill to clock/gage procedures..(cuts?)... Reply with quote

This was installed at the dealer on my 55. It will continue to live with the car. I would not assume that all these cars you are seeing with cutout dashes were done later in life. Some for sure, but not all.

Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Speaker grill to clock/gage procedures..(cuts?)... Reply with quote

Hi lardawge,
Would you be able to post a picture of the trunk side of that gauge setup? It would be nice to see how much was cut and how the wiring was laid out.

Cool original look BTW!

For those that do cut the dash, I suppose you could do it carefully and save the metal for some later reweld back in.
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Speaker grill to clock/gage procedures..(cuts?)... Reply with quote

Dan22 wrote:
Hi lardawge,
Would you be able to post a picture of the trunk side of that gauge setup? It would be nice to see how much was cut and how the wiring was laid out.

Cool original look BTW!

For those that do cut the dash, I suppose you could do it carefully and save the metal for some later reweld back in.

It’s not fully wired in at this point. Car is in progress and unsure if I want to restore the gauge cluster. The quotes I have gotten are “We don’t want to work on it” prices.

RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Speaker grill to clock/gage procedures..(cuts?)... Reply with quote

lardawge wrote:
Dan22 wrote:
Hi lardawge,

Cool original look BTW!

It’s not fully wired in at this point. Car is in progress and unsure if I want to restore the gauge cluster. The quotes I have gotten are “We don’t want to work on it” prices.

Lardawge,

Love the "We don't want to work on it".....LOL!! (Ain't it funny how that happens sometimes?? Shows me STILL how this world needs to make people hungry for WORK again!!

Anyway......here's a shot of my virgin dash...(You can see my center bar still in tact in this photo. I almost wish somebody made a 2-gage cluster that fit into either side of that bar, leaving it intact. Why are there only 1 & 3 gage clusters gobbling up that poor bar??? (And, yes, I already met 1 oval owner recently who did cut & told me he saved the bar piece just cuz.) ((shrug))

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaker grill to clock/gage procedures..(cuts?)... Reply with quote

Back in 1988 I installed a oil temp, oil pressure and volt gauges in my Bug, under the dash. I copied this in my current 1970 Bug. Like this. Fabricated the faceplate from a “No Smoking” sign, left over from a job that I completed.

Like this....

Super easy. Maybe 3 hours total to fabricate, and paint it.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaker grill to clock/gage procedures..(cuts?)... Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Back in 1988 I installed a oil temp, oil pressure and volt gauges in my Bug, under the dash. I copied this in my current 1970 Bug. Like this. Fabricated the faceplate from a “No Smoking” sign, left over from a job that I completed.

Like this....

Super easy. Maybe 3 hours total to fabricate, and paint it.

And that totally works. Around that same time I mounted a couple gages just free air down low. However....a couple differences.......

#1.) That ain't a precious oval Wink (oval owners chant!) Laughing

#2.) The oval speaker grill option has been around (vintage?) and is still around to this day and considered acceptable. And ok maybe 40 years ago it was acceptable to cut since I can recall when ovals were just "older" VW's but now every square inch is precious metal. ((shrug))

And I'll add a 3rd consideration.....So we don't use radios the way we used to...(Bluetooth, etc)....and mono is surely unacceptable anymore anyway so what would leaving it just empty with the bar in place ever be worth keeping?? (Except as a vent which mine does well, and the colder the more noticeable) Wink Laughing
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaker grill to clock/gage procedures..(cuts?)... Reply with quote

You don't have to cut so much out for the three gauge panel. Temporarily mount the panel without the gauges, mark the openings with a sharpie. Find the center of each gauge, drill a small pilot hole and use a hole saw just slightly bigger than the gauge housing for the two side gauges. For the center, just cut the bare minimum of what you need to remove of the center bar and leave the rest.

I'm of the mindset that if you are going to cut, at least do a neat and tidy job of it.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaker grill to clock/gage procedures..(cuts?)... Reply with quote

I *personally* hate the thought of cutting holes in nice original panels. But mostly because historically it was done very savagely with little regard as to alternatives or whether it was really necessary.
But, as far as proper original accessories go, nothing is really sacred.
Consider the Zwitter starter button? That's the best placement they could come up with?
...or generally almost any VW endorsed non-factory gauges. They didn't hesitate to give you instructions on how to punch a new hole anywhere.
So, IMHO if it's something that would have been period installed I'd put it where they would have put it 50 years ago to make it right. But also...think LONG AND HARD before cutting original metal.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Speaker grill to clock/gage procedures..(cuts?)... Reply with quote

Bub wrote:

But, as far as proper original accessories go, nothing is really sacred.
Consider the Zwitter starter button? That's the best placement they could come up with?
...or generally almost any VW endorsed non-factory gauges. They didn't hesitate to give you instructions on how to punch a new hole anywhere.
So, IMHO if it's something that would have been period installed I'd put it where they would have put it 50 years ago to make it right. But also...think LONG AND HARD before cutting original metal.

yes think it over at least a hundred times before you start, and make sure that you know what you're doing while you're at it, because once there is a hole in your dash, you better be happy with it.
Other than that, it's just metal.
Zwitter starter button delete...not the biggest deal in the world, just install a Neimann steering column lock that has a starter button on it. Or just move that starter button elsewhere.
My car comes with plenty of gauge real estate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Speaker grill to clock/gage procedures..(cuts?)... Reply with quote

Bub & Tisius,

Ya, starter button.....Odd placing by VW but hey.....it was what it was I guess.

And wow......Tisius....Definitely some gages to be had on that dash. Wink

Post-oval dash models can just swap those left/right speaker grills with plenty of holes for gages (not to mention less rare dash so probably not even as much concern)

Anyway....I'll probably still do it as it's prime real estate for gaging of some sort and just an empty solid grill is authentic, sure, but kind of a waste, imho so why not. (shrug)

I'll definitely cut-short of total needed & file down to get what I really need (especially the upper where seated eyes could see if you went too far) Wink Laughing Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: