Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Notchback- Early vs Late questions
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Essthreetee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Notchback- Early vs Late questions Reply with quote

I am trying to learn the differences and nuances of Early vs Late on Notchbacks…more towards body changes than anything else (at least right now).
I know the front hoods are different, and I know the door handles and hinges are different (I am sure there are more differences with the doors, but I don’t know them).
What other differences are there? Would the deck lids on both line up? Fenders? Etc.

My wife has a 64 that needs some things and I am being unsuccessful in searching to find answers.

Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Notchback- Early vs Late questions Reply with quote

How long is a string?

You will need to be more specific, some changes are down to the month. What do you have and what are you trying to do?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchback- Early vs Late questions Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
How long is a string?

You will need to be more specific, some changes are down to the month. What do you have and what are you trying to do?

Exactly. How late are you talking? I've got a ton of pics from when I rebuilt my 71 Notch in my signature. Or is that too late? Or are you meaning a 65 being late, from working with a 62-64 car?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchback- Early vs Late questions Reply with quote

So with my 64 which is a work in progress and I am replacing bits which required replacement on body and frame. And I know this list is incomplete as I am not to the back of the car yet
Starting at the front, my 64 have these, and models newer than 65 do not have or vary.
+Front Apron - Has the Mickey Mouse front. Only a single center support, There is no hole for washer bottle. The curve and the fit of any replacement apron of will require some minor mods. (BE sure to maintain the integrity of the VIN plate as some states are picky when it is installed on a newer apron.).
+Inner side fender - Multiple Curve and metal pressing variance. (If you do a partial inner fender replacement by the pan with a 66 or newer, expect to bend and mod to fit) There are other curve issues which are not big except when it comes time to mate to the apron.
+ Front Fenders - You will need to cut out the side light holes if using 66 or newer fender, Turn signals holes may need slight mod.
+ Heater Channels: NLA for Notch. You will need to use newer channels and mod accordingly.
+ Doors - Hinges, Treat them nicely as replacements are not easy to find.
+ Brakes - Front brakes cylinders use a design only available for 64-65. You will have to be patient for NOS or just replacements if yours are bad and cannot be overhauled
And on and on.
There are many things that can be utilized from newer models. But the body is just a bit different even though, it is almost identical. But that is part of the fun of having a Notch Very Happy
Bottom line look for 63-66/67 and you will not have as much to change/mod
There is a VW change document that details all the changes elsewhere on the Samba. Search and it will detail lots. But you need to know your VIN and logic of the document.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grdubuque
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchback- Early vs Late questions Reply with quote

There are so many variations from year to year and even within a single year you will find variation based upon the country the car was built and/or sold in.

I generally think of Type 3s as being early, 69 and older, or late, 70 and newer. In all markets, 70 was the year the nose was stretched which introduced one of the most noticeable changes in the body style. The other external changes included turn indicators (Bullet, Chrome Wrap, Plastic Wrap) Front hood shape, bumper style, internal fuel filler vs external fuel door, low back vs high back seats, and on and on and on...

The basic (and I mean basic) year groupings are 61-65, 66-67, 68-69, 70-73. And there will be all sorts that will argue (correctly) that even in these ranges there are too many differences to lump together in a group.

There are lots of good books, articles, and forums out there that define the variations and history of the Type 3 models. You're in the right place to start learning though. You'll soon find out what features and looks float your boat the best and find the year that best matches your tastes and that will be your favorite.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Notchback- Early vs Late questions Reply with quote

It would be easier to post your part you want and have others tell you what the pros/cons and modifications needed to fit your 64 notch. Then the variations will be more evident.

We all have to adjust parts to make them work. Even when the parts were plentiful things were still done as "improvements" over an old design.

You want it all 100% stock or you just want a nice ride?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchback- Early vs Late questions Reply with quote

Deck lids are all the same I believe.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Essthreetee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchback- Early vs Late questions Reply with quote

Yep. That’s my wife’s car.

I don’t mean to ask for each detail of change, what I was curious about was what deck lids should I be looking for? I if ra is pretty beat, but not rusty…so that’s good.

And what center nose pieces would fit.

Sorry, didn’t mean to cause a stir.

Her car was built in 6/64. Delivered on 7/2/64. In Germany.

ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Notchback- Early vs Late questions Reply with quote

The answer to your questions depend on how technically correct you want to be.

For example:
The correct rear hood for a 64 is PN 311 827 025C and was changed at the beginning of the 1966 model year - so you can use a rear hood from any car 1965 model year and earlier. The changes in 1966, IIRC, are relatively minor.

Same thing applies to the front hood - yours is wearing the chrome trim from a 1966-1969 model. Is it technically correct? No. Does it matter to you? Maybe not.

Trying to be technically correct is a laborious and often fruitless pursuit unless you're absolutely dedicated to making it happen.

The front apron is another story - early front aprons are difficult to find - if yours can be repaired, I suggest you try that first.

The wheels look great - saw a set in person about a month ago at a local show on a 356 replica.

The parts book is your friend when looking for parts/numbers:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type3_parts_book/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: