Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Protection from paint dust
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69T3Driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Protection from paint dust Reply with quote

hey i am sanding down a 1969 t3 and i was wondering what protection i might need. i am really new to all of this.
thanks
69T3Driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Protection from paint dust Reply with quote

i am wearing one of those cheap face maskes and thats about all i just wasnt sure if the paint had anything like lead or whatever in it, eh too late now
Kosmicride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Protection from paint dust Reply with quote

a simple mask surgical type should be suffice. If you really want to make sure you eliminate most of the dust, get a vacume equiped sander
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
briggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Protection from paint dust Reply with quote

The biggest concern with paint dust is lead and/or chromium that is found in the primer and sometimes base paint. A surgical or industrial filter type mask will not protect you from it. You need an acutal respirator with a HEPA cartridge (pink filter). Dust masks only filter out the large particles of dust that won't hurt you but are annoying. The smaller particles that get stuck in your lungs and cause problems will go right through it.
69T3Driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Protection from paint dust Reply with quote

would a 1969 type 3 have lead or anything else in it?
Ah i can alway sand it out on my front lawn
Kosmicride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Protection from paint dust Reply with quote

dust mask will work if your sanding it just fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
69T3Driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Protection from paint dust Reply with quote

k i am just trying to get it down to the original color anyhow. it was once repainted
briggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Protection from paint dust Reply with quote

Sorry for the late delay, I'm deployed for the war right now. Any etching primer has the potential to have something in it. Most of the primers used up until about the early 80s had some type of chromium in them. Also I reiterate that a dust mask will NOT protect you from ANY chemical hazard, they are only good for comfort dust control.

As long as you aren't going to bare metal you will probably be ok since the paint almost never has a high metal content. But better safe than sorry, you can pick up a HEPA filter respirator for relatively little at most hardware stores.
simon varley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Protection from paint dust Reply with quote

briggie wrote:
But better safe than sorry, you can pick up a HEPA filter respirator for relatively little at most hardware stores.

This. something like a 3M 6000 series half face mask with a P2 or P3 dust filter for sanding and a vapour filter for painting is a cheap investment

https://pksafety.com/blog/which-3m-cartridge-is-right-for-my-job/
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Protection from paint dust Reply with quote

Harbor Freight sells a decent mask. And you can use it to paint as well.
adventurebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Protection from paint dust Reply with quote

3M Respirator with particulate filter on it while sanding. Switch to an organic vapor cartridge for painting.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Protection from paint dust Reply with quote

simon varley wrote:
briggie wrote:
But better safe than sorry, you can pick up a HEPA filter respirator for relatively little at most hardware stores.

This. something like a 3M 6000 series half face mask with a P2 or P3 dust filter for sanding and a vapour filter for painting is a cheap investment

https://pksafety.com/blog/which-3m-cartridge-is-right-for-my-job/

P2 masks (N95) removes 95% of particulates from grinding and even welding fumes. P3 masks will remove 99.5% of the same particulates however P3 will only achieve that rating when used with a FULL face or air provided mask. In other words P2 rating is about as good as you can get with a half face particulate mask.

Organic vapour cartridges are however another matter.

A P2 is pretty good protection for sanding. If you haven’t shaved, have a poor seal or if the mask is not fitted properly of course efficiency reduces.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Protection from paint dust Reply with quote

Is anyone using a full face protection when painting? Does the face of the mask obscure your vision, meaning does it fog up or get coated with mist while you are shooting?
I wear glasses and notice that my glasses will often have a bit of mist on them and think maybe it’s a good idea to go with a full face.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Protection from paint dust Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Is anyone using a full face protection when painting? Does the face of the mask obscure your vision, meaning does it fog up or get coated with mist while you are shooting?
I wear glasses and notice that my glasses will often have a bit of mist on them and think maybe it’s a good idea to go with a full face.

Also wear glasses when painting. When waiting for paint to flash off i always go into the garage and wax my glasses to remove the mist overspray. If a full face, "tearoffs", like for motorcycle helmets would be great.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Protection from paint dust Reply with quote

I've heard of people putting kitchen plastic wrap over any face shield or even glasses so as to remove any overspray.

Haven't used it myself for car paint, but have used it on my glasses when painting the ceilings overhead. If you can get nice clear wrap, then it shouldn't affect the vision too much.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Protection from paint dust Reply with quote

the 3m full face I have came with a clear protective sheet, you can buy packages of them on amazon.
I find my glasses still fog up a bit in the full face respirator after a while, but it is still better than the overspray on everything, and I can clear them up quick with an air gun, just blowing low pressure into the mask to get the air flowing.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Protection from paint dust Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

I use a supplied air (turbine) Tyvek hood / coveralls. The great thing about these systems is that the air is flooded into your hood so there is no fogging and it keeps you cool at the same time. I've got an extreme sensitivity to solvents in general so I have no real alternative if I want to keep painting my own stuff.

Also, hey W1K1!
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Protection from paint dust Reply with quote

Very Happy what's up Chad
How's the great white north?

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: