Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission and RGB oil level
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pandanom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Transmission and RGB oil level Reply with quote

I bought a '66 bus in April of this year. I am still learning how to take care of it. I changed the lubricant in the transmission and both RGB's. In between oil changes is there any way to check the oil level to be sure it is not low?
busded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the filler on the side of your tranny and try to fill it. If it starts spilling out, you're full. That's pretty much the only way to check. Rolling Eyes
pandanom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
I was careful to put in the prescribed amount exactly. I added the right amt. to the RGB's first and then the 2.5 liters or 2.65 qts. to the transmission. The oil did not overflow out of the transmission but I was not level since I had the bus on a two car trailer which is a wedge design and on an angle. The rear of the bus was low. I do not see any leaks so I will do as you say later after a few miles and when the bus is level.
Thanks again
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and RGB oil level Reply with quote

Trying to put this question in a pre-existing thread:

Installed my new transmission (finally).

Filled RGBs with oil, filled transmission center section. Drove around a bit. Added some more oil to bring it just below the level of the fill plug.

But my oil jug is almost empty meaning I've added 3.5 liters of oil. Capacity from Bentley is more like 2.5 liters.

Is this normal? Is it overfilled now and can that cause problems?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and RGB oil level Reply with quote

guatebus wrote:
But my oil jug is almost empty meaning I've added 3.5 liters of oil. Capacity from Bentley is more like 2.5 liters.

Is this normal? Is it overfilled now and can that cause problems?

If you are reading the 1963-67 bus workshop manual, read the last sentence in that paragraph again.

Quote:
Each reduction gear case is ADDITIONALLY filled with 0.25 liters (0.53 U.S. pint, 0.44 Imp pint).

Plus a there is a certain amount of oil trapped in the axle tubes between the RGBs and transaxle.

Takes us almost a full gallon (about 3.5 liters) to fill a completely dry bus RGB and transaxle.

Transaxle can not be over filled with the bus on flat ground. If you fill it too much the gear oil will just pour out of the fill hole till it is at proper level.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and RGB oil level Reply with quote

The below from the 1963 beetle owners manual:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note on the right in the "Refill Requirements" 2.5 liters to fill the transaxle, and the beetle does not have RGBs.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and RGB oil level Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Transaxle can not be over filled with the bus on flat ground. If you fill it too much the gear oil will just pour out of the fill hole till it is at proper level.
However, if you fill it up slowly while it is up on jackstands, you can overfill it.

If it it overfilled, it won't damage the transmission, it will just leak out of the vent hole in the nose cone and make a mess under your bus and on the back of your bus.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and RGB oil level Reply with quote

OK, good to know! Thanks.

I was mostly concerned that I had put 3.5L in there but it sounds like that is relatively normal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: