Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The circular groove on the face of the oil pump
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: The circular groove on the face of the oil pump Reply with quote

The circular groove on the face of the oil pump.
How important is this groove and how adverse is it if gasket sealant is used on that gasket?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The circular groove on the face of the oil pump Reply with quote

It facilitates the recirculation of excess oil pressure back thru the pump. I believe it is meant to prevent pressure leaks from occurring at the gasket when the pump is outputting more oil that the engine requires.

It was not meant to be filled in or blocked with sealant.

As for the big question: How much does it matter if it is? I'm not sure, maybe it would start leaking eventually? Maybe it would from the very start? I'd be curious to hear someone's actual results.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The circular groove on the face of the oil pump Reply with quote

The way VW made the oil pump, it's made to be used with a paper gasket and without any sealant, and the groove is a nice touch that reduces leakage. Notice I said reduce not prevent Laughing

Some people would spray some "high tack" sealant on the cover to hold the gasket in place, that's probbly ok.
Some people put a thin film of permatex 3/300/avaition on everything, and that's mostly ok but.....
If putting sealant on the gasket, I would not put the sealant around the boltholes. Just stay 1/4 inch away from them so there won't be any unplanned extrusion when you tighten the bolts.

Now the ideal way to deal with this thing today might be a different story.
I would make the oil pump surface smooth non-directional finish and adhere the gasket to the steel cover with a sealant/adhesive, if you are using a steel cover. Steel cover machined flat but not too smooth. Flanged nuts with 565 sealant. I think that would hold up better and still being "original'

The ideal may be different depending on if you are using a gasket, and if the cover is steel or aluminum, and what kind of sealant to use.

IMO if a heavy aluminum cover is used you don't necessarily need a gasket.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: The circular groove on the face of the oil pump Reply with quote

Mine is a CB performance full flow pump.
It doesn't require any drilling or tapping as it's all done with the pump.
26mm Shadek with the CB machined aluminum cover and inlet/outlet.
Has a gasket which is different than stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: The circular groove on the face of the oil pump Reply with quote

I see. Totally different then. Good choice tho.

Careful not to overtighten the fittings it can distort the cover causing a leak.
Full strength loctite makes a fantastic pipe thread sealant, tho it is semi-permanent.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: The circular groove on the face of the oil pump Reply with quote

If you look at the face of the oil pump, there is a short groove that connects the main circular groove to the low pressure side of the pump. In theory this would put negative pressure in the groove and prevent leaking around the pump cover.

Maybe they did this to speed up production by omitting the step of applying sealant on the pump? Can't really apply sealant on the cover until ready to install it.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: The circular groove on the face of the oil pump Reply with quote

Quote:
a short groove that connects the main circular groove to the low pressure side of the pump. In theory this would put negative pressure in the groove and prevent leaking around the pump cover.

somebody just asked me what the short groove was for, now I can answer like I knew all along. Wink
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The circular groove on the face of the oil pump Reply with quote

I do the oil pump and sump cover at the same time.
Here is why:

I put black RTV on my fingers and work it into the sump gaskets and install the sump.

With the residual sealant on my fingers, I rub into the oil pump gaskets. Just barely enough to make them black in color. No real thickness, just carefully messaging residuals into the gasket.
That way nothing squeezes out plugging up the return loop. Yet I still have the dryness that using sealant can bring.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The circular groove on the face of the oil pump Reply with quote

I have some modification info to share about the CB performance pump.
The tin behind the pulley needs to be modified or the pulley scrapes.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The circular groove on the face of the oil pump Reply with quote

Yeah, you can cut it, but It's preferred to just pound a dent in there with a ball-peen hammer. It sounds tricky but it's not difficult at all. Just take your time. Pound, fit, pound, fit. Make sure the pulley clears the dent and you're golden.

Now you should ideally fill that hole somehow or road grim will get everywhere up through there, in addition to recirculating a bit of hot air back into the engine bay.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The circular groove on the face of the oil pump Reply with quote

Just grind some aluminum off the cover, there's plenty of meat left after.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The circular groove on the face of the oil pump Reply with quote

I originally thought about hammering the tin but didn't want to beat against the aluminum pump. Didn't think of grinding the cover. I probably wouldn't have gone with the grinding route.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The circular groove on the face of the oil pump Reply with quote

Bug53 wrote:
I originally thought about hammering the tin but didn't want to beat against the aluminum pump. Didn't think of grinding the cover. I probably wouldn't have gone with the grinding route.

Best way to do it before you install the pulley and trap that tin in place.

What you did is satisfactory, BUT a dimple would have worked and looked better. Also by cutting a hole there you are allowing hot exhaust gas to get sucked in. Doesn't really matter unless it's a street car sitting in traffic tho.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: The circular groove on the face of the oil pump Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Bug53 wrote:

What you did is satisfactory, BUT a dimple would have worked and looked better. Also by cutting a hole there you are allowing hot exhaust gas to get sucked in. Doesn't really matter unless it's a street car sitting in traffic tho.

I sealed sealed the small gap with high temp. RTV. Smile
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: The circular groove on the face of the oil pump Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Bug53 wrote:

I sealed sealed the small gap with high temp. RTV. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: