Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original Pop Out Catches
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simpjam58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:35 am    Post subject: Original Pop Out Catches Reply with quote

Hi All,

Currently restoring a 58 ribbed bumper Kombi, it has 6 factory original pop-outs. None of the catches were with the bus when I bought it, trying to understand what would of been originally supplied on the bus in 58.

Is it the 5 long spoon and 1 smaller one on all from that period or something different?

Thanks
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Original Pop Out Catches Reply with quote

Simpjam58 wrote:
Is it the 5 long spoon and 1 smaller one on all from that period or something different?

Yes, 5 long spoon and 1 medium spoon for the front cargo door

Medium
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Pop Out Catches Reply with quote

Who has done Re - rivet on these?
I would like to swap parts on latches. Drill out and replace.
So many types of rivets, these seem to be tube/burnished type, and often rusted.
Just throwing that out there, thanks.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Original Pop Out Catches Reply with quote

Don't know a source for the rivets/hinge pins, but if they aren't structurally compromised, you'd be amazed at how those latches will clean up with nothing more than a bat of 0000 steel wool, your hands and just a few minutes of your time. Yes, the deep pitting in the metal will still be there but much less noticable when the rest of it shines like a mirror.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Original Pop Out Catches Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
Don't know a source for the rivets/hinge pins, but if they aren't structurally compromised, you'd be amazed at how those latches will clean up with nothing more than a bat of 0000 steel wool, your hands and just a few minutes of your time. Yes, the deep pitting in the metal will still be there but much less noticable when the rest of it shines like a mirror.

Thanks, Yes, but I have broken ends w good chrome, and good ends with bad chrome. Wanting to swap - I have so many over the years just sitting.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Original Pop Out Catches Reply with quote

I've drilled out a few broken latches and swapped parts around. They are held together with pins that have a "rivet like" end machined into them. Both ends are crushed just enough after assembly to hold the pin in place. The engine lid hinges are made the same way.

Drill out one side carefully and you'll be able to tap the pin out. Try doing one on the broken part first.

I think I used roll pins on mine, which work OK, but the right pins could be machined easily on a lathe.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Stocknazi on Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Original Pop Out Catches Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
I've drilled out a few broken latches and swapped parts around. They are held together with pins that have a "rivet like" end machined into them. Both ends are crushed just enough after assembly to hold the pin in place.
Drill out one side carefully and you'll be able to tap the pin out. Try doing one on the broken part first.
I think I used roll pins on mine, which work OK, but the right pins could be machined easily on a lathe.

Thanks, and good idea on the roll pin. Maybe if I find stainless pins or tube stock I could roll them over w a flare tool Question Idea Give it a shot and report back after I get the measurement of the pins. Thank You for getting me "out the gate" Mr. StockNazi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: