Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2024
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricardohardo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

Nice to meet you in Mulege, Sam. I wish I could have stayed and hung out longer. See you in Washington soon!

Rick Behning
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

Okay . . .

- Entered Baja California, no problems at all.

- Mexico was doing more about COVID than the US was: any store you go into, a security guard takes your temperature, puts gel sanitizer on your hands, you step through a tray of bleach and must wear a mask.

- Restaurants were all open at 50% capacity; outdoor dining was not restricted at all. Hotels were open at reduced capacity. Travel was wide open. The beaches were closed for camping but open during the day. While I was there, they opened the beaches for camping. Most crowd events were cancelled (Semana Santa, Carnaval, etc.).

- There was no hostility, but increased gratitute for what few tourists were there. Without Canadians, most of Baja California was a ghost town: very little traffic and the campsites were wide open.

- There are many improvements to the roads and La Paz is growing fast.

- Per previous posts, I am installing a CB radio for in-convoy chatter. I found the FMRS and VHF handhelds to lack power and distance; though others may have had different experiences.

- The next Rally will leave Potrero County Park on 5 February, crossing at Tecate. I will be dropping my van in La Paz for eight weeks for some body work and a windows-out paint job http://www.livethevanlife.com/

Questions?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
Questions?

What color paint?
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

erste wrote:
Corwyn wrote:
Questions?

What color paint?

Same color (Pastel White). Costs more to change colors and I like the exterior to match the interior. Excellent prices, great work.

~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

Nice.
Appreciate the Baja update.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

Thank you for the update! I'm hoping to make it happen next year.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

Just a reminder: I just made my reservation at Potrero County Park. I will be in site #1 on 3 and4 February, departing on 5 February for points south!

~ Captain Ron ~
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
Just a reminder: I just made my reservation at Potrero County Park. I will be in site #1 on 3 and4 February, departing on 5 February for points south!

Site #2 booked for 4th Feb. Smile Sadly, no pooch this time - Freddo passed away in November.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

So sorry. Sad

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
onemorodeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

I am definitely interested in this trip and will be following this thread. Sounds like fun!
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

ROAD TRIP! Very Happy

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/covid-roundup/

~ Captain Ron ~
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

Would LOVE to join this trip someday. Have fun and post pics and hangover stories!
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

I’d like to do this sometime. Just not 100 percent confident in the reliability of my 83 yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

Spin on by for a sip of 18yr Jameson in site# 22!
It's getting closer... Cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_t59To7Snk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
Okay . . .

Questions?

I got some Sam.. are you heading straight to La Paz or taking some time to get there? Do you have any details on your route? Will you be spending more time on the Sea of Cortez side or the Pacific side?

We will be crossing around the 30th or the 31st around San Luis out of Yuma. We will heading south towards San Felipe but plan to mess around in the Luguna Salada area for a few days first.

I don’t think we will be much further than south then Bay of LA or maybe Guerrero Negro. That’s where we turned around last year. Would be great to know your route as it would be fun to try and make our paths cross somewhere along the way..

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

The timing really depends on what the group wants to do. I'm in no hurry to get to La Paz and there is plenty to see and do between there and the border.

The usual route is

- Cross at Tecate, down through the Guadelupe Valley to Ensenada.
- First night at La Bufedora, south of Ensenada
- Second night at Don Eddie's Landing south of San Quintin, brunch at Mama Espinoza's in El Rosario
- Third, maybe fourth night at Bahia de Los Angeles. Probably Dagget's or Playa La Gringa - that's whered we'd meet up, if you're still there.
- Two nights at Guerrero Negro for whale-watching.
- On to Mulege for a night or more.
- La Paz is a four hour drive from Mulege and may spend a few nights on a beach on Bahia Conceptionon the way there, or back.

So, usually a week or so getting to La Paz.

An alternative (if the group wishes) is to cross at Tecate, down to Ensenada, there is a cutoff road to San Felipe on the Sea of Cortez side, and into Guerrero Negro for the first, maybe secon night, depending on our speed.

So, its up for discussion. I've been driving the Baja Peninsula for almost 15 years, so I've seen most everything. Now I get to see it new again through the eyes of newcomers.

~ Captain Ron ~

Last edited by Corwyn on Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

We're doing Baja again this winter with another Westy accompanying us. Plan is to cross at Tecate around Jan 15th. We'll then head S to San Felipe, La Gringa, the whales at Ojo de Liebre Lagoon among other stops and eventually La Paz. So if you're down there look for a white Hightop Joker and a white regular Westy.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!

Last edited by Microbusdeluxe on Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

Thanks Sam. All that sounds great. Appreciate the info. We are planning 3ish weeks so Bay of LA might just work if our route and timing all align. I'll continue to watch this thread.

Safe Travels..

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

Depending on which way we go, we should be at BoLA on the 7th or 8th. I'll porobably be at Dagget's, while others may go to Playa La Gringa. Keep in touch!

~ Captain Ron ~
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2022 Reply with quote

Just a month to go. Smile

Check your batteries folks!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 38

Jump to: