Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought Crawford Thing #6
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

I just made a deal on Crawford Thing #6.

It's going to be a 600-mile round trip to go trailer it from California to my place in Nevada, and it's got a couple of problems (wheel bearings and no reverse) to check out.

I was looking for an older Jeep (lightweight, simple, dual-use), and the fact that this was registered and street legal made the difference for me.

Pickup will be in a week or two. Until then, I don't know everything that will need to be done, but it looks like fun.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

Waiting for pictures...
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

Haven't picked it up yet, but here's the glamour shot from the ad.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

Looks like an Empi Sportser to me. If it isn't then it's pretty close from my view.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking too.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

Thing...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

Crawford's Things predated the VW 181... The Thing was only a 'Thing' in name in the U.S. for 2 model years, '73-'74.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/offshoot.home.blog/2019/10/26/crawford-buggies/amp/

bnc
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

Thing #6 wrote:
Haven't picked it up yet, but here's the glamour shot from the ad.

Looks good after the rollover incident.

bnc
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

Do you have any info on this one having rolled?

If it DID roll, it continues a tradition -- I've never owned a VW-pan buggy that hadn't been rolled by at least one previous owner. One, I was at El Mirage, and helped the owner get it rolled back onto the wheels, and his wife said "If you give us a ride back to our camp, and tow this, you can drop us off and keep towing!"
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

Very interesting! It's a bit of a local curiosity then. One wonders how many similar stories are out there...
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

Thing #6 wrote:
Do you have any info on this one having rolled?

If it DID roll, it continues a tradition -- I've never owned a VW-pan buggy that hadn't been rolled by at least one previous owner. One, I was at El Mirage, and helped the owner get it rolled back onto the wheels, and his wife said "If you give us a ride back to our camp, and tow this, you can drop us off and keep towing!"

Read the link I attached above...

"The buggies proved to be light weight and fun to drive, although there have been many mishaps/accidents. Inspite of roll overs, being hit by other vehicles and being run off the road and hitting a tree, no one has been seriously injured. Thing 6 rolled over during an August rain, landed on its wheels, and after putting the battery back in was able to drive back into town."

bnc
Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

Cool! Yes, I read that in the "family history," after my post. It gives me confidence in the roll bar. I had a friend who would INTENTIONALLY roll his buggy at least once per weekend (it had tubing instead of a body, so nothing was hurt, and a sealed battery). He'd find his spot, work his magic, and do the Barbecue Roll then keep driving. He married the girl who asked him to teach her how it was done!

If Thing 6 went all the way over and back to Stable One, they must have done a lot of work on sheet metal afterward.

Buggies based on the early Type I roll for the same combination of factors that caused early M151 MUTTS to roll.

First, you're dealing with a short-coupled suspension. This means that they turn SHARP.

Add to that the rear swing axle, which changes the tire camber based on spring compression.

The factory-fresh Type I, with all of that sheet steel, weighs enough that the rear suspension is compressed more than on a buggy built with standard springs. Thus, there is more of a tendency for the rear end to "float," especially at moderate and highway speeds.

With the M151, most rollovers took place at 45 MPH or faster, with only the driver aboard and insignificant cargo weight, during a moderate to sharp turn to the left. The right rear wheel, floating, allowed enough change to the camber that the tire sidewall would flex, causing loss of traction and stability. In other words, the right rear tire would "get under" and twist the suspension and unibody while it was deep into an outward-force condition.

The interim solution was to simply add weight to the rear of the MUTT, usually by putting in a box full of damp sand (which could be discarded when cargo or passengers would be carried in the back).

Placards were also stenciled onto the instrument panels, warning that "SUDDEN TURNS MEAN SUDDEN DEATH" (later softened to "Sudden Turns Cause Accidents").

In the longer term, the M151A2 had a redesigned rear suspension, which reduced camber variation.

Likewise, the buggies (especially those with shortened wheelbases, such as the EMPI and the Crawford Thing) can be made much safer by tossing 100 pounds of weight into the back, and of course by controlling speed and turns.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

I own Crawford Thing #23

This is how I found it in Modesto

This oe was in Arizona, then Durango and now I believe Florida

BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

Here's an earlier thread on them

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=729893
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

The other option to adding weight would be to convert them to IRS.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

A shock limit strap is a more positive way to stop swing axle tuck under/jacking than more weight in the cargo bed which will raise the c.g. and can shift

Thing #6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
I own Crawford Thing #23

This is how I found it in Modesto

So, yours has seats in the back?

I was going to pick it up today (in Tuolomnemnemnemnemnemne), but discovered a leaking valve stem on a van tire, so I'm going tomorrow. I think my best route with a trailer is down to Salida then east, rather than cutting across from Acampo.

The thing (so to speak) that won my immediate attention is the utilitarian look of them. I was actually looking for an old Jeep when this one popped up on the list of stuff to check out.

I expect a few "what the hell is THAT?" reactions. It's been quite a few years since I last had a buggy of any sort.

Are those limit straps commonly available? Do they adversely affect off-road running? One nice thing about adding weight is that you get full travel when you want it.
RCros
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

Was there ever any follow-up pictures of this car?
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

RCros wrote:
Was there ever any follow-up pictures of this car?

Not since July 5, 2022...

bnc
RCros
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Crawford Thing #6 Reply with quote

Bummer thank you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: