Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper motor removal
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Wiper motor removal Reply with quote

The dash is off to do a variety of things, one of which a new wiper motor.

The dash came off pretty easy, just took some time, yea!

I'm having trouble getting the motor shaft of the wiper off the bracket, or arm assembly. I've peied and pried from different spots but it just won't budge. I've sprayed it down with PB Blaster. I've tried some vice grips. It's a tough spot to get to even tap it a bit to dislodge.

Anyone else with this issue or tips to get the darn thing off? Spent way more than an hour just on this and it is frustrating.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor removal Reply with quote

Do you think it is threaded on, or perhaps splined on?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor removal Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
Do you think it is threaded on, or perhaps splined on?

I do not think it is threaded. The new one appears to be just threads that push on and the nut tightens as usual. Bentley manual is very vague on this.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor removal Reply with quote

A wedge type tool, like a door panel clip tool might work here between the wiper motor body and the linkage arm on the shaft. Smaller than a wiper arm puller, so easier to sneak in under a dash that’s still installed..
Use two of them stacked on top of each other if one is too thin to pop the link arm off the shaft .

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Door-Handle-Trim-Pad%2FTrim-Nuts/Trim-Pad-Remover-(Black)/A177A
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor removal Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
A wedge type tool, like a door panel clip tool might work here between the wiper motor body and the linkage arm on the shaft. Smaller than a wiper arm puller, so easier to sneak in under a dash that’s still installed..
Use two of them stacked on top of each other if one is too thin to pop the link arm off the shaft .

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Door-Handle-Trim-Pad%2FTrim-Nuts/Trim-Pad-Remover-(Black)/A177A

I've tried with that as well, no go. I'll keep at it this morning.
Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor removal Reply with quote

JA;

I expect it is similar to the (SWF) Wiper Motor Assembly as used on the Volvos, so it is splined (the other option would be a single or double "D" shaft)...its best to make a puller arrangement to give you the mechanical advantage over this joint and pull that bellcrank off along the axis...I recommend against simply levering at it with anything more than modest force, as this could compromise/loosen the spline connection for when you want to put it back together and back in service.

Also, make witness marks on the shaft and bellcrank so that you can get them back together in the same orientation...if you don't, it would muck up the linkage action and probably Park position!

Reference info from the vintage Volvo world: https://www.sw-em.com/Wiper_Parking_Side_Notes.htm#Angular_Position_of_the_Bellcrank/Conrod

Cheers
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor removal Reply with quote

Ronzo_volvo_guy wrote:
JA;

I expect it is similar to the (SWF) Wiper Motor Assembly as used on the Volvos, so it is splined (the other option would be a single or double "D" shaft)...its best to make a puller arrangement to give you the mechanical advantage over this joint and pull that bellcrank off along the axis...I recommend against simply levering at it with anything more than modest force, as this could compromise/loosen the spline connection for when you want to put it back together and back in service.

Also, make witness marks on the shaft and bellcrank so that you can get them back together in the same orientation...if you don't, it would muck up the linkage action and probably Park position!

Reference info from the vintage Volvo world: https://www.sw-em.com/Wiper_Parking_Side_Notes.htm#Angular_Position_of_the_Bellcrank/Conrod

Cheers

Okay, makes sense. I'm getting the heater core off now and will then try it. I might just take the linkage off to get more space to pull. I need to put new shafts in anyway.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor removal Reply with quote

Ronzo_volvo_guy wrote:
JA;

Cheers

Okay, makes sense. I'm getting the heater core off now and will then try it. I might just take the linkage off to get more space to pull. I need to put new shafts in anyway.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor removal Reply with quote

Now that the heater box is off I was able to get the entire linkage out, with motor attached.

Now for the next silly question: How are the shafts attached to the linkage arms or bars? Before I got them out I thought maybe a circlip but see nothing. The Bentley just has a half-assed diagram that doesn't seem to show how they stay connected.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor removal Reply with quote

This link has some pics and info that might help:

https://shufti.blog/2012/02/02/vanagon-wiper-shaft-lubrication/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor removal Reply with quote

The motor finall came off. Withe the entire unit out it was easier to get underneath and pop it off the splines.

Now for the shafts. It appears they are just pressed on, is that correct? Can they just be levered off as well with no damage?

jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor removal Reply with quote

Moving on from there. It would seem not many have done this job, hmmm.

So I finally got the passenger side shaft off. I needed to grind away and it came off. So the obvious question is: What holds the new shaft in place? The old seemed to have a larger diameter cap that prevented it from falling out. There must be someone else on TheSamba that has done this.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: