Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type e motorsports disc brake review
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

After another brake fading trip over the mountain in our 67 Westy, I decided to shop for a front disc brake kit. After the initial sticker shock of some of the kits, I was happy to find Brian's kit at Type e motorsports.
https://type-emotorsports.com/collections/type-2-b...-brake-kit

The unique thing with his kit is the customer purchases their choice of rotors, pads and calipers. At first I thought this may be a hassle, but the options are many and so are the price points. I settled on some higher end rotors and calipers and the entire cost was still under $850. Install was very straight forward and the braking difference is massive. In hindsight, for all the miles we've driven our Westy, this should have been done long ago. Another good feature of the kit is the included spacers allowing the original 14" rims.
I had one question concerning the caliper orientation and Brian got back to me immediately, so great customer support as well. The safety factor of this install has me wanting to pass the info along, hopefully someone else will appreciate the value of this kit.
Parts as received-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Brackets and hub assemblies and wheel bearings are all good quality

I chose drilled rotors, all lined up very good

The hub fit very nice, bearings seated well and the machined grease caps are a nice touch...

14" stock rims mount with no problems, the offset is less than 3/8"
The best part for my application- looks 100% original installed

TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

Wish he made a kit for early cars. Hear nothing but great things
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

I took a Bud for a ride in my '66 Single after getting Brian's Kit installed, he asked how they worked, and he didn't hear me say "hang on" He almost kissed the windshield !! Laughing They work great !!

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

What vented and drilled rotors are those? Looks great!. Those brakes are the bomb.

I know he is working on early versions
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
What vented and drilled rotors are those? Looks great!. Those brakes are the bomb.

I know he is working on early versions

I went with a kit (both sides sold together) they were called PowerStop extreme performance. $127 for the pair. They are in the link on the sites instructions, part number AR8213XPR

Also, that is correct- Type E is working on an early version... looking forward to upgrading my single cab!
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

This is good to hear. I just purchased this kit yesterday. I will have to post an update once it arrives and I install it.

One question. Are you all using a 1967 master cylinder? My Bus is still single circuit and so I still need to get a dual circuit when I install the discs.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

VWAdam wrote:
This is good to hear. I just purchased this kit yesterday. I will have to post an update once it arrives and I install it.

One question. Are you all using a 1967 master cylinder? My Bus is still single circuit and so I still need to get a dual circuit when I install the discs.

They will add a Dual circuit MC to your kit if you want one.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

VWAdam wrote:

Yes, I am using dual master cylinder (mine is a 67, already stock) Type E sells the conversion reasonable too. I do not know if you can run single with conversion, but either way it is not advised- Dual master is the way to go
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

jeremy57ride wrote:
VWAdam wrote:

Yes, I am using dual master cylinder (mine is a 67, already stock) Type E sells the conversion reasonable too. I do not know if you can run single with conversion, but either way it is not advised- Dual master is the way to go

Yeah. I wasn’t planning on keeping it single circuit. I was just wondering if the ‘67 master cylinder was the way most are converting. Will the same pedal rod work with the ‘67 dual circuit ?

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

Brian E sells great products!
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

TheVintageVw wrote:
Wish he made a kit for early cars. Hear nothing but great things

He said he’s working on one.
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

VWAdam wrote:
jeremy57ride wrote:
VWAdam wrote:

Yeah. I wasn’t planning on keeping it single circuit. I was just wondering if the ‘67 master cylinder was the way most are converting. Will the same pedal rod work with the ‘67 dual circuit ?

I converted to a 67 MC and my 65 pushrod worked just fine. You will need a little extra tube and a T connector.
I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Huva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

Very Happy with the kit from Brian . Excellent quality very easy install . Better braking than the Porsche brake setup I had on before
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pacifcoflyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

I can't wait for the parts to come in the mail so I can get it installed! Stoked to hear you like it!!
pacifcoflyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

Had a question. Installing mine now, how hard was the new brake lines to put in with the new master cylinder? I ordered two new hard lines for a 67' and they arrived, but I dropped the ball on the short line I need from the MC to the tee.

Also, my current MC has one brake light switch and the 67' has two. How does this setup work?

Thanks!
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

The Tee and short line is if you are going to run 2 brake light switches. I just run 1 brake light switch and no tee. The only down side is if there is a circuit failure, you may or may not still have brake lights, depending on if the switch is in the front or rear circuit.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

you will need the short 230mm line to go from the master to the T

I always use two brake light switches, one for each circuit. To plug both holes, and have some redundancy. Easy to wire them both up.
pacifcoflyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

Ok thanks to you both. Is there a wiring schematic on running two switches?

Thanks!
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

Just Tee the 2nd switch so its in parallel with the other.

12v is power in on one side. 12v out when you step on the brake
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Type e motorsports disc brake review Reply with quote

Ok, I have the kit in but I haven't gotten the lines and rotors and calipers in yet. Everything looks super nice and I'm stoked about installing it once I get all of the parts.
I also forgot to order the master so I ordered that as well and I'm waiting on it too.
What's this about dual brake light switches? I won't need any of them as I've wired up a switch on my pedal for the brake lights bypassing the pressure switch.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: