Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Disengagement Issue - 1971 T2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GusBus1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Clutch Disengagement Issue - 1971 T2 Reply with quote

A month ago the clutch pedal lever on my 1971 T2 Bus worn down and broke due to the PO installing a threaded bolt and not a smooth pin.

I replaced the pedal lever, lever pin, Bowden tube, and the clutch cable.
I have screwed the clutch cable wing nut all the way to the Clutch cable arm.

The issue is when I press the clutch pedal down completely to the floor, I can't select gears without a loud grinding sound and when I am able to force it into 1st the bus jerks forward and stalls.
Another symptom that occurs is when I push the pedal down the pedal doesn't come back up unless I manually put my foot under it and pull up.

Any suggestions on next steps or should I go about replacing the clutch plate?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Disengagement Issue - 1971 T2 Reply with quote

Well, my first guess is that either your new cable is too long or maybe you need to shim the new Bowden tube. I’m guessing from your description that you have a huge amount of clutch pedal free play. It should be about 3/4 inch or so. Also, you could have welded up the worn through hole in your pedal assembly and eliminated a lot of guess work here.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Disengagement Issue - 1971 T2 Reply with quote

keep forcing stuff and your second post will be where to buy a transmission.

sounds like your clutch adjustment is WAY out of whack. only you can figure out why

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Disengagement Issue - 1971 T2 Reply with quote

It seems pretty straight forward. You found a broken part and replaced it. Problem solved. Nope, because you then changed other parts too and now we have to guess what you did wrong. It’s not an engine pull and clutch change. You replaced the broken part. Don’t make things worse. Go back and look at what you did already. Did you know that the part you replaced, the one with the torn out hole, can be installed backwards? There are drawings of it here on the samba. Search
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Disengagement Issue - 1971 T2 Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
SGKent wrote:
The first thing check to be sure the clevis is on right upfront. It can be upside down. Here is a happy face I believe that John, HazetGuy drew to assist in getting it right. Make sure the cable is not binding.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Disengagement Issue - 1971 T2 Reply with quote

That’s it. Thanks Steve. I’ve installed this backwards. I can’t say it’s your problem though but it will cause your cable to break early
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: