Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MSD 8485 distibutor installled photos?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: MSD 8485 distibutor installled photos? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a photo of an MSD 8485 distributor installed, with cap on? Also anyone have a photo of it installed but with cap off and rotor pointing to #1?

I searched the gallery and saw a couple pictures but these were with cap on only and on a type 4, not a type 1 engine.

I installed my 8485 with the small offset on the shaft towards the crank pulley, but the MSD label faces the front (flywheel end of the engine) and the magnetic pickup is on the right side, just next to my fuel pump block off plate.

I don't think I installed it correctly, and these pictures would be an immense help.

Many thanks in advance!

Ted
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD 8485 distibutor installled photos? Reply with quote

Should check for distributor pinion gear orientation before questioning your distributor install.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD 8485 distibutor installled photos? Reply with quote

It installs like all the other distributors. Push it in and rotate the rotor until the drive engages the driveshaft. Rotate the engine so it at tdc on #1. Rotate the distributor body so that #1 mark is pointed to by the rotor.

Connect the wires 1-4-3-2 clockwise. Start the engine and set the timing.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD 8485 distibutor installled photos? Reply with quote

Her ya go. Notice looking down 4 is almost exactly 6 o clock and 3 is almost 9 o clock. That will get you close so you dont have it running shitty when it first fires up

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: MSD 8485 distibutor installled photos? Reply with quote

Thanks KEGZ, Glenn and jpaull!
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: MSD 8485 distibutor installed photos? Reply with quote

~~~

Last edited by fl59bug on Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: MSD 8485 distibutor installled photos? Reply with quote

Ignore the cap.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: MSD 8485 distibutor installled photos? Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn. I caught and removed my last (ignorant) post after comparing my setup more closely to the photos jpaull kindly provided. I should be all set now.

Ted
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: MSD 8485 distibutor installled photos? Reply with quote

Turn it like you like it and arrange the plug wires accordingly.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: MSD 8485 distibutor installled photos? Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
Turn it like you like it and arrange the plug wires accordingly.

Hard to go wrong with this approach Smile

thanks

Ted
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: