Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

Somewhat off-topic, but, somewhat not as we are all car people on this forum. I was wondering if anyone had issues with friends in the car community that were frugal ('CHEAP') and they needed help with you nudging them.

I have a particular friend that is into Chevy muscle cars. He's trying to restore a Nova and still needs some panels for it. He basically has a front end, motor, frame, and axles.

Recently I found what I thought was the deal of a lifetime that would set him up big time. It was a Nova that was the same year but was missing the motor, no title, and no axles. But the body was all there. No rust except the driver's door, which he has. Frame is great, quarters, fenders - all good enough to be blasted and painted - no dents!

Seller is an 8 hour trip roundtrip, they want $600 and are firm on the price. To me, even a replacement quarter panel is $389 without shipping. Yes, you have to rent a trailer and pay for gas. But in the grand scheme, $800-900 out the door to get everything that you need to finish your car AND sell parts off - you can't go wrong.

My friend just hem's and haw's, insults the guy by trying to get him to take less. I know I can't force him to spend his money, but my friend (and some of our other friend's in the car community) get like this somewhat often where if it's not in their backyard, they balk. But then express remorse over it the second it sells.

Further information - he can afford it, he has kids, but does get select weekends free as he's divorced and remarried to someone without kids/enjoys cars as much as he does.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

I used to do stuff like that for a few buddies, some jump on it, others do as your friend did. Now I just keep my mouth shut and say "gee..., that's too bad" when they whine about something they farted around on and missed, I refuse to babysit them, they are grown up and can make their own decisions.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

You should buy it. Since you already have a buyer lined up for all of the panels, you'll be able to double or even triple your money pretty quick.
Just kidding. Some people can't be helped. If he's not interested for whatever reason, it's not worth worrying about I guess.

You can lead a horse to water...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

Just like VW parts stuff. Nothing better then original part that fits. Explain that to him. The metal is better.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I used to do stuff like that for a few buddies, some jump on it, others do as your friend did. Now I just keep my mouth shut and say "gee..., that's too bad" when they whine about something they farted around on and missed, I refuse to babysit them, they are grown up and can make their own decisions.

I am getting to that point in all honesty, it's not just him particularly either, it's a few buddies. Unless the deal is in their backyard, gift wrapped, and practically free - they won't bite.
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
You should buy it. Since you already have a buyer lined up for all of the panels, you'll be able to double or even triple your money pretty quick.
Just kidding. Some people can't be helped. If he's not interested for whatever reason, it's not worth worrying about I guess.

You can lead a horse to water...

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was the 'norm' for people like that to exist.
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Just like VW parts stuff. Nothing better then original part that fits. Explain that to him. The metal is better.

I agree, it's just disappointing to me as someone that is willing to get on the road and go out and get those deals. Whereas people like him will sit on the couch and whine when the car inevitably sells and kick himself.
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

My father always says, 'Life isn't a spectator sport'. I feel like people that with the available funds and means still won't pull the trigger but whine when someone else has the motivation to get off the couch and and will buy it.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

I find that same attitude w/ some people I know, not realistic when it comes to finishing projects, as you said, if it's not in their backyard, it's to much "work".
People always tell me they want a Bus/camper, but are never willing to do the work to get one, weather it's saving the $$ to buy one, or buying a project & doing the work needed to get it on the road, " if wishes were horses"....
The last Bus I dragged home is a Westy, people ask how I found it or could buy it, I WORK at it, hunting back roads, talking VWs to everyone, they don't just fall in your lap, I had to pester the owners for 3 years, until they were ready to sell.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

I you see any value you in it..
go buy it yourself and build one too!

you and your buddy can bond over the 2 cars together
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
I find that same attitude w/ some people I know, not realistic when it comes to finishing projects, as you said, if it's not in their backyard, it's to much "work".
People always tell me they want a Bus/camper, but are never willing to do the work to get one, weather it's saving the $$ to buy one, or buying a project & doing the work needed to get it on the road, " if wishes were horses"....
The last Bus I dragged home is a Westy, people ask how I found it or could buy it, I WORK at it, hunting back roads, talking VWs to everyone, they don't just fall in your lap, I had to pester the owners for 3 years, until they were ready to sell.

I have plenty of those people too haha. If my contribution to the VW community is anything, it’s networking. Plenty of people are in the sales/purchases and treat it like a finite business deal. I always hang out and offer to grab a beer with them. Build it and see what they say
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
I you see any value you in it..
go buy it yourself and build one too!

you and your buddy can bond over the 2 cars together

I would except I don’t really have an interest in going fast/muscle cars! I’ll gladly go with him to get it, be his cheapest labor (free) but I have six cars and don’t need or want another haha
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

Man you are going to see this everywhere. There are do'ers and people that can't. I am thankful for the do'ers in my life that make me do more than I otherwise would. No joke. Maybe a good neutral bar talk? Just jumping on a lead with a friend is some of my best memories ( and deals)
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

You know what a car with no title is worth to me? Zero. I'd pass too. I don't want the Sheriff showing up on my doorstep asking where the stolen car I'm cutting up came from.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
You know what a car with no title is worth to me? Zero. I'd pass too. I don't want the Sheriff showing up on my doorstep asking where the stolen car I'm cutting up came from.

I’ve enjoyed lots of no title cars. You are missing out.

You DO have to go through the process of making sure it isn’t stolen , which involves law enforcement. If you have loose VIN PLATES or cars without vin plates, you are a criminal
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

1970PAKombi wrote:
I am getting to that point in all honesty, it's not just him particularly either, it's a few buddies. Unless the deal is in their backyard, gift wrapped, and practically free - they won't bite.

I hear you loud and clear! I too am fed to the back teeth with the couch critics that want to be spoon fed everything!

I have been going through that lately as in recent retirement I am trying to streamline my projects and parts, realizing that I only have so much time and money left. I have tried advertising some of this stuff on a local VW Faceplant site, some for free and some at a very reasonable price. Lots of interest until they realize they have to come and get it. This means getting up off the couch and driving out of thier neighborhood! Nope! Cannot do!

Then there is the total A holes that tell everyone on the site that I am asking way too much money and the car is rusted so bad that it is missing the lower 18" completely. That is all without me listing a price (reasonable offers) and posting no pictures!

I tried to give away a surplus low mile Bay Window drum to drum front suspension. Come and get it... finally after 2 years some guy agreed to meet me part way (I drove 2/3 of the way!) to get it. When he saw the condition of it he could not believe I was giving it away.

Well ya... Duh!! I told you so!
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

I’ve enjoyed lots of no title cars. You are missing out.

You DO have to go through the process of making sure it isn’t stolen , which involves law enforcement. If you have loose VIN PLATES or cars without vin plates, you are a criminal

When I buy a car without a title, I use an attorney to get a title, I do it the unpopular way that costs $1000, but, I like the peace of mind associated with a judicial ruling and court order giving me sole possession of it.
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
1970PAKombi wrote:

I hear you loud and clear! I too am fed to the back teeth with the couch critics that want to be spoon fed everything!

I have been going through that lately as in recent retirement I am trying to streamline my projects and parts, realizing that I only have so much time and money left. I have tried advertising some of this stuff on a local VW Faceplant site, some for free and some at a very reasonable price. Lots of interest until they realize they have to come and get it. This means getting up off the couch and driving out of thier neighborhood! Nope! Cannot do!

Then there is the total A holes that tell everyone on the site that I am asking way too much money and the car is rusted so bad that it is missing the lower 18" completely. That is all without me listing a price (reasonable offers) and posting no pictures!

I tried to give away a surplus low mile Bay Window drum to drum front suspension. Come and get it... finally after 2 years some guy agreed to meet me part way (I drove 2/3 of the way!) to get it. When he saw the condition of it he could not believe I was giving it away.

Well ya... Duh!! I told you so!

Congrats on retiring! I actually dealt with the same thing this week - a different friend, claims he wants a bus, wants to get into the community, etc. A Bay Window came up for sale through someone I know through the community for less than a grand. In great shape, in all honesty I think it's gone by now after 24 hours, so I sent it to him and said 'Hey, it's $1000. I know the guy, I have excess parts we can even trade him to lower the price'. He let it slip through his hands.

I know when I sell one of my buses in the spring he's going to neg and beg me to sell it to him for $1 haha.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Advice: Nudging a Friend to Buy a Good Deal Reply with quote

Something not yet brought up here- Some people just like to be SOLD something. They don't want to listen to friend's advice or take the time to do some real research. They want the seller to SELL them on the deal. It's a narcissistic way of "winning."

My years have taught me the same as others above me here- you can't change that behavior.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: