Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Full flow fittings
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow fittings Reply with quote

From experience, after fitting the fitting to the cover (before installing) run the cover on some fine wet and dry on a glass pane. The screwing of the fitting and tightening will warp an aluminium cover and cause potential leaks

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow fittings Reply with quote

In my experiance pipe fittings are often over tightened badly. Whenever I see a fitting buried to the last thread I just shake my head! I have seen far too many fittings tightened until the aluminum cracks or the threads gall. All they really need is to be tight enough to not leak. With quality fittings and holes threaded with a good tap I have seen hand tight fitting take 1000 psi and not leak. Obviously you wouldn't run them that way, just saying...

Cheap fittings and poor tapping will often leak no matter how tight they are.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow fittings Reply with quote

Reviewing all the comments and pictures, If it were me I would remove oil pump cover and get new fitting and start over .. By this I mean fitting oil line fitting to pump cover on work bench and see if it really needs to be modified for flow.... Also as someone mentioned check for any distortion of pump/cover mating surface to pump body...

And now you are exposing pump cover to more forces by trying to screw in larger portion (diameter) of taper fitting in effort to seal and probably next series of post will be "how come my pump cover cracked"....

By looking at pics I see about 7 thread in pump cover plate and you are only engaging about 6 threads (of 10) of AN fitting into pump cover, basically you probably ruined a expensive fitting for no reason...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
AZOffTheWall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow fittings Reply with quote

I would not use that #8 90 off the case, every hose company makes a 90 degree swivel for that spot
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

boondocksdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow fittings Reply with quote

More trouble than it was worth but the -10 90 degree has been accomodated.

On the oil pump cover when I thread a new uncut fitting in to hand tight I don't have any interference, but "by the book" even the full length fitting doesn't thread in far enough. If it's supposed to thread in to depth thats equal to its diameter that would have it going in all the way flush to the hex portion. There are 15mm of threads. At hand tight I have 9mm inside and 6mm left outside. Opinions on whether I can trust that or if I need to take a tap to it so I can thread deeper?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow fittings Reply with quote

Those fittings are for hydraulic hoses designed to hold thousands of PSI and that's what the "Book" specs are for, the cut fitting will be fine at your 60 +/- 30 PSI.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow fittings Reply with quote

Yep, you're good. It doesn't need to sit flush... That's more of a nitpicky aesthetic detail.

Throw the cut fitting away.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow fittings Reply with quote

About tapered threads, they don't always go all the way, the are tapered so when they get tight via taper and it seals the threads by friction fit, trying to seat fitting fully with no thread showing will only damage both fitting and oil pump cover and again everything is compromised.... Taper (NPT) only need to be tightened enough to seal...

Lots of details here on how NPT threads "work"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_pipe_thread

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow fittings Reply with quote

Tapered pipe thread fittings - NPT - arent always consistent from supplier to supplier. Ive had them be tight after 2nd turn, some the opposite. Tapping the hole deeper can help putting the fitting in further sometimes, if necessary
boondocksdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow fittings Reply with quote

Should be all plumbed in now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow fittings Reply with quote

I had an old machinist buddy tell me that " a bolt only needs to be threaded in as deep as it's diameter ..." years ago, but it was in reference to the strength of that bolt and I don't think that applies to npt as it's not a " structural " component.
sure it has to hold pressure but your not bolting things together with npt
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
Nightshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow fittings Reply with quote

https://www.engineersedge.com/hardware/pipe_thread_installation_13424.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: