Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Luggage roof rack attachment
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisklinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Luggage roof rack attachment Reply with quote

I often need to carry materials in my daily stock 36HP '60.

I want to build my own luggage rack, but, despite searching through literally thousands of pics, I haven't found closeups of the attachments (much less any engineering drawings).

Does anyone have, or know where I can find, closeups or drawings?

TIA,

Chris
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Luggage roof rack attachment Reply with quote

All of my roof racks simply sit in the rain gutter and have a hook that comes down under the rain gutter above the door top and is drawn up to cinch the rack down to the roof.

Is that way you mean?

As far as strength goes make sure you account for both static load (weight of the gear on the rack) as well as dynamic load. (The wind at 60mph tryin to blow the whole thing off)

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
64 bug nice used front/rear Black RHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RUNKLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Luggage roof rack attachment Reply with quote

Found these two image of the same type of roof rack. Hope this helps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
image from easyelw

image from stroker1949

Type 3
1968 Squareback
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Luggage roof rack attachment Reply with quote

this is my WW rack, attaches the same way

78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Luggage roof rack attachment Reply with quote

Mine mounts the same way as all the other ones posted in this thread.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
chrisklinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Luggage roof rack attachment Reply with quote

You guys are heroes!

this is absolutely what I needed Smile Especially the first pic from Runkle.

Can't thank you guys enough.

Currently I'm carrying stuff on 2x4s over foam pads, tied down LOL. When carrying a load, i go slow and easy enough that dynamic loads aren't a problem. Unless, heaven forbid, someone hits me. then all bets are off. Of course, if that happened, what's on top would likely be the least of my sadness.

Thanks again, all!

Chris
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Luggage roof rack attachment Reply with quote

I do not believe the stock style roof rack clamps will be secure enough for loads like you have in that pic. Shocked
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Luggage roof rack attachment Reply with quote

More random picks some of my cars.

Where the foot or base lays in drip rail is always a danger of damaging the paint also the clamp as it contacts the door. Suggest using a rubber pad such as rubber from old inner tube.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Luggage roof rack attachment Reply with quote

The original German racks have a weight capacity of 110 pounds.

In my experience, the German racks are more rigid (less flexible) than aftermarket racks. That is what I have now. I have taken steps to protect the paint since I rebuilt the car and painted it in 2013. In the first pic, you can see that I dipped the clamp in black plasti dip. It has held up fine for years and has not damaged the paint:

On the feet, you can cut clear tubing (like fridge water supply line) and press it onto the feet:

For a load like you are carrying, you would need to create a larger platform and the rack would need to be extremely rigid. I also wouldn’t carry oversize/long loads the way you are on an original style rack. The lever forces would simply yank the rack off. You’ll need something that grabs on better, perhaps like a modern ski/snowboard/bike rack. Not saying it can’t be done. The beetle has a pretty surprising 800+ pound max payload. You just need to distribute it and secure it properly. The old and repro racks just won’t cut it for the utility you’re after.

Good luck and post up what you do!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Luggage roof rack attachment Reply with quote

A simple look through my gallery reveals I'm a roof rack junkie. But for heavy loads I'd keep a set of Yakima round bars (48"-58") and a set of their 1A tower gutter mount brackets at the ready.

Round bars never "oppose" each other when strapping down heavy loads like the square bars from Thule and cheaper brands. This is the safest way to protect your car and the load. Visit the accessories forums and search "roof rack"

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: