Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing-axle lift
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
firerod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Swing-axle lift Reply with quote

I have a '68 Convertible bug I was thinking about lifting approx. 2". Does anyone have a picture of a swing-axle bug that has been lifted like Jeff Hibbard's Baja book says with covering 1/2 the bolt hole with the spring plate? I would like to see how much this effects the wheel camber. Thank you.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing-axle lift Reply with quote

Every thing I have seen on raising a Swing axel you should put a 1/4" spacer on the bottom stop so the spring plate cant drop all the way down in the housing and create too much positive camber. If I was doing a swing axle I would go with Bus reduction boxes, it will also give a lower gear for bigger tires.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing-axle lift Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Use chart below and same numbers but turn bars other direction to raise...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Swing-axle lift Reply with quote

Any increase in static ride height will increase your positive camber an a swing axle. This will also increase your chances of a roll over. There is no way around that fact. Tire selection can help, the old square tread wide oval bias ply tires are the worst as they have a sharp edge on the outer extremes that bit hard and facilitate rear jacking and roll over. Thank goodness you can't buy them anymore! The old off road guys used aircraft tires or implement tires because of the rounded tread design. I use quad tires for the same reason.
Mylastbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Swing-axle lift Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out how to give my 67 Beetle a Class 11 look without making it dangerous. Does anybody know how much positive camber is acceptable, and how much is dangerous?
Was also thinking of trimming the arch of a set of fenders (not the ones on it) to clear a slightly larger tire without rubbing or looking stupid.
It’s a conundrum!
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Swing-axle lift Reply with quote

a second consideration, in addition to making the car a roll-o-matic: you need rear tires that are round in cross-section. raise the car, increase the camber, a square edged tire with flat tread will be running on the edge of the tread. minimal rubber on the road, maximum wear on the skinny little square edge.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Swing-axle lift Reply with quote

Switch to IRS and raise it all you want. Or - if it is just the look you want, do a body lift, taller tires and leave the suspension as is.

For best handling and safety at highway speeds you want a degree or two of negative camber. Zero is ok but you do not want to go more than a degree positive. Even at that you need to limit down travel to prevent jacking.

If the car is off road, dirt only at low speeds, never sees 50 mph you can get away with more positive camber but beware the downhill sharp turn with the brakes on. It will turn turtle!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: