Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Charging a LiFePo4 Lithium Battery House Battery 95 EVC
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Charging a LiFePo4 Lithium Battery House Battery 95 EVC Reply with quote

I understand that the stock charger in my 95 EVC charger doesn't have the proper charging profile for a lithium house battery.

To overcome this problem, while connected to shore power, could one use a lithium trickle charger to top it off? Is there a problem plugging in the van via shore power and also connecting and using a lithium trickle charger at the same time?

I am thinking of permanently hard wiring the lithium trickle charger to the house battery. Then plugging in the lithium trickle charger into the 110 outlet located in the rear. In that way, the lithium trickle charger is only activated when the shore power is used.

I am considering the CTEK:

https://www.amazon.ca/CTEK-56-926-LITHIUM-Automati...amp;sr=8-4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Charging a LiFePo4 Lithium Battery House Battery 95 EVC Reply with quote

For about the same money, why not replace the existing power converter entirely with this unit?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TRRCZ75

That's what I did, it works great, and can be set to a lithium charge profile.
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging a LiFePo4 Lithium Battery House Battery 95 EVC Reply with quote

So you pulled and replaced the Magnetek?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TFB777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Charging a LiFePo4 Lithium Battery House Battery 95 EVC Reply with quote

For a few dollars more, I opted for a 30 amp converter from Progressive Dynamics:

https://battlebornbatteries.com/product/progressive-dynamics-12v-30-amp-lifepo4-battery-charger/

Most of the work involved is the time it takes to remove/reinstall all of the panels to access the charge controller. It was not hard and I had everything done in one day.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging a LiFePo4 Lithium Battery House Battery 95 EVC Reply with quote

1961tbird wrote:
So you pulled and replaced the Magnetek?

Correct.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging a LiFePo4 Lithium Battery House Battery 95 EVC Reply with quote

TFB777 wrote:
For a few dollars more, I opted for a 30 amp converter from Progressive Dynamics:

https://battlebornbatteries.com/product/progressive-dynamics-12v-30-amp-lifepo4-battery-charger/

Most of the work involved is the time it takes to remove/reinstall all of the panels to access the charge controller. It was not hard and I had everything done in one day.

This is also a great option. I liked the Victron as it offers bluetooth, and works with their MPTT charger controllers, DC-DC converters and whatnot.
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging a LiFePo4 Lithium Battery House Battery 95 EVC Reply with quote

TheOneTrueQuux,

Your first posted link to Amazon references the Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22 12-Volt 20 amp 120V, Single Output Battery Charger NEMA 5-15, Bluetooth.

Excuse my lack of knowledge but does this Victron product replace the Magnetek? It appears to be just a battery charger or am I missing something?
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging a LiFePo4 Lithium Battery House Battery 95 EVC Reply with quote

1961tbird wrote:
TheOneTrueQuux,

Your first posted link to Amazon references the Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22 12-Volt 20 amp 120V, Single Output Battery Charger NEMA 5-15, Bluetooth.

Excuse my lack of knowledge but does this Victron product replace the Magnetek? It appears to be just a battery charger or am I missing something?

It replaces the Magnetek unit. It's smart enough to charge the battery while power is being drawn, hence it can be both a converter and a power supply. If you read their documentation they talk about this. You do have to combine two wires that go to the original magnetek and connect them both to the positive connection on the Victron, but this is NBD. David at 1705.net did something similar. He used a progressive dynamics unit, but those are similar in operation to the victron.
See this link:
https://1705.net/converter-upgrade/

You could use the same unit he did, or use the Victron like I did. Both will work fine. I like the victron for the bluetooth, and configurability.
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging a LiFePo4 Lithium Battery House Battery 95 EVC Reply with quote

Many thanks. I did not realize the Victron could act as a power source and a battery charger. I'll certainly research further. Again, thanks for the tip.

BTW, what size did you opt for?
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging a LiFePo4 Lithium Battery House Battery 95 EVC Reply with quote

Lastly, does the Victron will automatically work as a power supply while charging? I thought those functions were separate.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Charging a LiFePo4 Lithium Battery House Battery 95 EVC Reply with quote

1961tbird wrote:
Lastly, does the Victron will automatically work as a power supply while charging? I thought those functions were separate.

You can set it to a pure power supply mode, but it should supply power just fine when in charging mode and a load is applied.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: