Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Deck Lid
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VDUB2359
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: VW Deck Lid Reply with quote

Is there a feasible way to replace a stock 1963 VW Beetle Deck Lid with one of the new aftermarket "W" style lids available? Does anyone have any recommendations on a lid supplier? The typical fail point of the spring and hinge supports has launched me in this direction. Rather than spending time repairing the 60 year old metal I may consider a replacement. I do like the look of the early "W" design. Thanks!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Deck Lid Reply with quote

personally, I think that seeing a "W" lid on a 60s Beetle looks totally wrong. It does fit, which I think is what you're asking about.

But it's not like I don't have an incorrect decklid on my 62, but it's not W-istic, no, I put a 60's convertible lid on there.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Deck Lid Reply with quote

Got to disagree with glutamodo on this one.. .. may be the first time.. Sorry Andy..

The W decklid is the best looking of the bunch..

As for feasible.. its a paint .. and bolt and go..
Cant get much simper than that..

IMO the latest version with OUT the Pope's nose. (56-57).. and the similar to 58-63 license lamp.. looks the best.

Not many aftermarket suppliers.. so pick your poison on those. .. I hear .. they are not too bad..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Deck Lid Reply with quote

VDUB2359 wrote:
Is there a feasible way to replace a stock 1963 VW Beetle Deck Lid with one of the new aftermarket "W" style lids available? Does anyone have any recommendations on a lid supplier? The typical fail point of the spring and hinge supports has launched me in this direction. Rather than spending time repairing the 60 year old metal I may consider a replacement. I do like the look of the early "W" design. Thanks!

the hinges are high stress points, more so with the spring, the spring can be removed, and you use a prop stick to hold the lid. You are better off with metal, source a decent used one is my recommendation, unless you cannot afford it. they are rarish. or go for a correct year metal lid, much less money.

Scores of later lids for sale cheap...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...amp;page=2

a good deal of W lids for sale, maybe a lot of dreams here? cheapest by far is 400 bucks, half the price of some others.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ywords=lid

Good Luck Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Deck Lid Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Got to disagree with glutamodo on this one.. .. may be the first time.. Sorry Andy..

No problem man. Once upon a time I might have agreed with you.

And it makes no sense really, as even on the Ovals, the W-lid does not "flow" the way it did into the split window. So why does it look less right on bigwindows? Not sure, but when I've seen them, they just look "ungood" to me.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Deck Lid Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:

No problem man. Once upon a time I might have agreed with you.

And it makes no sense really, as even on the Ovals, the W-lid does not "flow" the way it did into the split window. So why does it look less right on bigwindows? Not sure, but when I've seen them, they just look "ungood" to me.

Laughing Laughing Hmmmm .. once upon a time.. (ouch).. I only wish I could live in a fairy tale land.. some days..

W lid.. yeah.. may look a little odd on the "big window" 58-64.. maybe just because we know better.. Laughing
.. but the W lid is just plain ole' .. kool .. Wink

Id run one.. .. .. Think but I usually have a few decklids painted and ready to swap out .. on a seasonal whim.. and what I feel.. Wink

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Deck Lid Reply with quote

I'd probably run one if it had the extra convertible vents, which I always thought were cool no matter what year. (but then, it was not ergonomics that led me to put the 60s 'vert lid on mine, it was rather more in hopes of better engine cooling, alas it made not a frigging iota of difference)

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Deck Lid Reply with quote

For some strange reason nobody has been successful getting a 60's-era paint code color to stick on the w decklids... Not sure why.. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
VDUB2359
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Deck Lid Reply with quote

Thank you for all of the input and the resources. It's good to know that if I decide to change it the lid will fit without a hassle. I realize that everyone has their own feelings with the lids but it's nice to know we all have the same passion for the beetles no matter what. My VW is quite a hybrid so there are always mixed feelings from everyone. Thanks again. Wink
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Deck Lid Reply with quote

The W decklid can be a subtle change. This very nicely done '63 was in front of me for several miles during part of the 2017 Classic VW Bugs' Foliage Tour in southern NY.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bonkulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: VW Deck Lid Reply with quote

SO - original is better than aftermarket. Got it! As the ol saying goes - you get what you pay for.

I see in this thread the '63 is sporting a "W" deck lid.

Is this just a simple bolt-on installation, or is more modification than that required? Does the lid seal properly? Does the latch line up or do you need to replace parts their, too?

I figure the 55-57 lid might just be a bolt-on...

Knowing how VW rarely ever made things non-interchangable in those early years, it seemed only natural to think it would simply be a bolt on installation.

(I have actually been a member MUCH longer than since August 2020. Not sure what happened with my former account...)
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Deck Lid Reply with quote

Bonkulous wrote:
lid.

Is this just a simple bolt-on installation, or is more modification than that required? Does the lid seal properly? Does the latch line up or do you need to replace parts their, too?

Bolt and go..

Usually and often edited
Bonkulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Deck Lid Reply with quote

Thanks for the affirmation. Wolfsburg West told me it wouldn't fit.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Deck Lid Reply with quote

Bonkulous wrote:
Thanks for the affirmation. Wolfsburg West told me it wouldn't fit.

They answered based on taste. Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: