Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me brainstorm this issue
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Help me brainstorm this issue Reply with quote

‘71 Squareback starts, warms up then shuts off and won’t start again for a couple hours. When I say shuts off, I mean it shuts right off like the key was turned off suddenly. I can try to start it again but it’ll just crank and not start. In the last week I have installed all new coil, points, condenser, distributor, cap/rotor & starter. The motor is a 1776 with dual 40s. Maybe bad ignition, relay, something else? Is there a way to test those things?

Ideas?? Thanks for any/all help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMendoza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me brainstorm this issue Reply with quote

Are you getting spark? You can check with a timing light
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Help me brainstorm this issue Reply with quote

Until you said what carbs you had, it reminded me of a problem I had on a 34PICT-3 years ago. It had a loose internal connection on the Electric cutoff switch. It had exactly the same symptoms, but mine would run for a bit longer. Once I replaced the cutoff with a pilot jet, the problem immediately disappeared. My hunch is something in your system cutting off fuel flow.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me brainstorm this issue Reply with quote

Check your fuel tank venting to make sure you are not pulling a vacuum.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me brainstorm this issue Reply with quote

He said "it shuts off suddenly, like the key has been switched off".
Surely a fuel restriction would cause it to splutter a bit before it died ?
Sounds more like electrical to me.........
Question
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help me brainstorm this issue Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Question

Good point agree......slowly lowering fuel levels in the float chamber "should" cause run quality issues.....though the cut off from tank vacuum is a little more odd than just a general restriction like a fuel filter. Unless the pump has good check valves once vacuum hits a certain level it can back siphon and it kills it quick.

But on that note.....it really sounds electrical and heat related. Getting hot and losing ground.....idle solenoid etc. Ray
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me brainstorm this issue Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Qldelsie wrote:
Question

Good point agree......slowly lowering fuel levels in the float chamber "should" cause run quality issues.....though the cut off from tank vacuum is a little more odd than just a general restriction like a fuel filter. Unless the pump has good check valves once vacuum hits a certain level it can back siphon and it kills it quick.

But on that note.....it really sounds electrical and heat related. Getting hot and losing ground.....idle solenoid etc. Ray

Since it's a 71, could the ignition switch be going bad? It is a 1 year only part. Could the plug in connector be trying to fall off?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
veedweeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help me brainstorm this issue Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with my old Square a few years ago.

After a lot of searching, I found that the trigger wire from the coil for the rev counter that I'd fitted was intermittently shorting out on the bodywork and that was just shutting the ignition off instantly.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Help me brainstorm this issue Reply with quote

Had to re-read for clues.

The other issue .....is the fact that it....... "wont start again for a couple of hours".....

If this is consistent.....and it ALWAYS starts again after a couple of hours......I am still going back to a fuel problem and not an electrical problem.

If it were electrical....like a ground heating up or vibrating until it breaks.....still possible.....but doubt that it would consistently re-start like clockwork.

Either its flooding.....and takes a couple of hours to evaporate fuel

Its choked off with silt in the tank pick up tube area.....not uncommon and it can take a,while for line fuel slowly flowing back to rinse silt out of the way.....

Or you are pulling a vacuum on the tank.

Try these things:

Remove the gas tank cap, start snd warm up. If the problem disappears.....ots a tank venting issue. If it does not help......try pouring a little fuel into both carbs and try to re-start. If it works.....your float heights are wrong, fuel is getting restricted to the carbs (could be silt, could be the pump, could be a range of carb problems).

If that does not help....look down the top of the carbs to see ir they ard wet and pull a spark plug from each side and see if they are wet.

Ray
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me brainstorm this issue Reply with quote

Really sorry for not replying here. I never got any notifications of your replies, sorry.

So after all this it turns out to be a fuel issue. More specifically, the lining/seal the previous mechanic did. As you can see from the pix, it’s just coming apart inside and clogging things up.

Today I got a 2gal can and a new pump. I ran a hose from the pump to the cab and it ran flawlessly. Drove it around the block a couple times and had zero issues. So today I drained and removed the tank. I’ve reached out to a couple people in the FS section but no one seems to want to ship a tank to FL. I may look in to having a fuel cell made for it if I can’t find anything local.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me brainstorm this issue Reply with quote

oxsign wrote:
Really sorry for not replying here. I never got any notifications of your replies, sorry.

So after all this it turns out to be a fuel issue. More specifically, the lining/seal the previous mechanic did. As you can see from the pix, it’s just coming apart inside and clogging things up.

Today I got a 2gal can and a new pump. I ran a hose from the pump to the cab and it ran flawlessly. Drove it around the block a couple times and had zero issues. So today I drained and removed the tank. I’ve reached out to a couple people in the FS section but no one seems to want to ship a tank to FL. I may look in to having a fuel cell made for it if I can’t find anything local.

Well, that'll do it. It's also why it's not recommended to try and seal these tanks with the tank sealers that are available today. Some of today's fuels aren't compatible with the tank sealers. Just something to keep in mind.

If you aren't worried about under frunk space, you could go with an aluminum off road tank, if nobody will ship you a stock one.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me brainstorm this issue Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Well, that'll do it. It's also why it's not recommended to try and seal these tanks with the tank sealers that are available today. Some of today's fuels aren't compatible with the tank sealers. Just something to keep in mind.

If you aren't worried about under frunk space, you could go with an aluminum off road tank, if nobody will ship you a stock one.
it was something he suggested be done and not being sure about it I went with it. That was my mistake unfortunately. I’m in talks with a couple shops to see about having a custom cell made to at least fit in the factory location and use the factory sending unit. Hopefully I’ll know something by next week sometime. I planned on raising the tank 1.5”-2” for clearance underneath with the bagged beam. So that’s something I can work in to the custom cell now. Or at least a notched section for the bag/lever.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Help me brainstorm this issue Reply with quote

Many radiator shops will boil out a fuel tank.

Or you could fill it with paint remover and nuts/bolts and slosh it around or something?

With the right application of heat/chemicals/agitation the stuff will come out.

What’s That Noise?!?
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Help me brainstorm this issue Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Many radiator shops will boil out a fuel tank.

Or you could fill it with paint remover and nuts/bolts and slosh it around or something?

With the right application of heat/chemicals/agitation the stuff will come out.
Someone local mentioned something about a radiator shop yesterday. I'll have to look in to that this week and see.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Help me brainstorm this issue Reply with quote

ask Chadd - his number is in this ad https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2366674
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help me brainstorm this issue Reply with quote

If it has no actual holes in it......have it caustic washed at a radiator shop which will remove all of the liner and varnish deposits. Then acid wash it. That will literally dissolve all rust down to metal. If it still has no leaks or pinholes....proceed to next stage.

Then let it flash rust for a couple of days after rinsing it out. Then pour in a quart of Ospho or similar about a pint at a time. Fully agitate to cover every surface . Drain it. Do not rinse it. Let it dry for a full 24 hours someplace warm. This converts the surface rust to black iron phosphate
Done.

Keep it full of fuel and it will likely not rust again until after you are dead from old age.

Well established method.

Ray
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Help me brainstorm this issue Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
If it has no actual holes in it......have it caustic washed at a radiator shop which will remove all of the liner and varnish deposits. Then acid wash it. That will literally dissolve all rust down to metal. If it still has no leaks or pinholes....proceed to next stage.

Then let it flash rust for a couple of days after rinsing it out. Then pour in a quart of Ospho or similar about a pint at a time. Fully agitate to cover every surface . Drain it. Do not rinse it. Let it dry for a full 24 hours someplace warm. This converts the surface rust to black iron phosphate
Done.

Keep it full of fuel and it will likely not rust again until after you are dead from old age.

Well established method.

Ray
It actually is still in pretty good condition. I was just concerned with trying to do anything with it for fear of "leftovers" in there causing more issues down the line. his sounds like a pretty good method and I do still have about 1.5gal of Ospho left from doing the floors. I may have to give this a try as well and see how it turns out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: