Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

While I enjoyed both VW museums, and even though I already knew that they had a lot of inaccuracies, it was still surprising to see so many.

This was a crotch cooler split, and if the rear bumper guards are correct, would be a '52, yet it is listed as a '53 and listed the engine as a 36hp. It probably had a 36hp in it, but it certainly didn't come that way.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Translated text

The Beetle looked tender, as if it had sprung straight from the wind tunnel, but with a drag coefficient of more than 0.40 it was not really a car that was windy. As a result, the Kamei company developed the "Aerofix Eiefensteuer" in 1952.

The aluminum front spoiler, which noticeably reduced lift, brought fuel savings of one to two percent. From 1952 the small company of the Meier-Andrae family produced around 40 of these add-on parts.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Jack O'Neill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

The HO team has a good relationship with the Autostadt museum, maybe they can lend a hand to bring the blue VW 30 closer to spec? Or, better yet, the museum could order a second body from the shop, in which case the blue one could be sold for parts in eBay Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

The VW factory museum/Autostadt is notorious for displaying incorrectly restored cars and false/inaccurate information. This has been the case for decades and likely will not change. They just do not give a s**t.
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Time for a long awaited update. The guys are working on smoothing out the bodywork. I bet that roof is ringing like a gong! Just as importantly they have got the basic shape of those fenders down. Obviously some more modifications are required such as trimming the lower edge of the rear fenders but having them in place like this is a great opportunity to stand back and see how it all comes together as a whole.

fossil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

That looks great! I don´t know whether the roof is ringing like a bell. The creased area of the roof should prevent just that.

Comparing old pictures of the W30 and the new one I think they will also modify the lower lines of the front fenders. The lower curve is much more even at the original ones. This in my eyes at least is an important reason of the somewhat exotic look of the W30.

And looking at those old pictures it seems that the wheels, especially the front wheels, sit more "inside" of the fenders. That to me, as I understand it, would mean as soon they make the fenders a bit wider the lines would be automatically correct.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Wow!
RUNKLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

I realize that there was a lot of work done to get to this point. But I still see a glaring issue that was mentioned earlier, and still has not been addressed. The front windscreen lacks the gentle curve at the top, and appears to be too short. As the rain gutters are not installed yet, and it does appear that the windscreen tops out inline with the rain gutters, perhaps it will be addressed then?

Yes, the general public, we are a picky lot. Laughing

Type 3
1968 Squareback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

WOW!

beautiful!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

fossil wrote:
That looks great! ...
And looking at those old pictures it seems that the wheels, especially the front wheels, sit more "inside" of the fenders. That to me, as I understand it, would mean as soon they make the fenders a bit wider the lines would be automatically correct.

the running gear is not the W30 running gear. This is regular beetle running gear.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel

Last edited by mandraks on Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

It's coming along really well, looking so much more complete.

I agree there is still so much to do with the fenders, and windscreen surround, but I'm confident they will be comparing the pictures and drawings and trying to match it up as close a possible.

Great progress!

56' Oval
71' Westy
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Just a quick update. The guys have trimmed the lower edge of the rear left fender. Looking so much better already.

cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

That is looking so much better, especially when compared to the VW replica, fantastic!

56' Oval
71' Westy
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

I am just loving this thread.

Don
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

it is really coming together now. hopefully ready for SEMA 2022 Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Updates please.

Don
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

RUNKLE wrote:
I realize that there was a lot of work done to get to this point. But I still see a glaring issue that was mentioned earlier, and still has not been addressed. The front windscreen lacks the gentle curve at the top, and appears to be too short. As the rain gutters are not installed yet, and it does appear that the windscreen tops out inline with the rain gutters, perhaps it will be addressed then?

Yes, the general public, we are a picky lot. Laughing

the shape of the top of the door frame and the roofline above it where it curves around the front towards the door handle looks off too, maybe its an optical illusion? still a mind blowing build looking great
ElStiemo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Cannot wait to see further updates! One of my favourite threads on the Forum.
fossil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Ah! Now I understand how they make the lines of the fenders fit. Great!
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Such good work! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 29

Jump to: