Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1983 GTi Calloway
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think paying $62k for a 1983 GTi is.....
Just about right.
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
It should have brought more.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Crazy money!! Paid way too much.
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 7

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: 1983 GTi Calloway Reply with quote

Can't say I understand this at $62k
Enlighten me...without this thread getting locked Confused
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-volkswagen-rabbit-gti-callaway-turbo-stage-ii/

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1983 GTi Calloway Reply with quote

The problem is with you. It sounds like you think $62k is a lot. For many people, $62k is what they have for their daily expenses.

My wife likes diamonds. I do not get why a small shiny rock is worth so much. It's worthless and does not do much.

In the end, it is amazing that a car like that was sold for that price, but it's great that it did. It just proves that not everyone is homeless and getting paid $15/hr.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1983 GTi Calloway Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
The problem is with you. It sounds like you think $62k is a lot. For many people, $62k is what they have for their daily expenses.

My wife likes diamonds. I do not get why a small shiny rock is worth so much. It's worthless and does not do much.

In the end, it is amazing that a car like that was sold for that price, but it's great that it did. It just proves that not everyone is homeless and getting paid $15/hr.

Interesting perspective

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1983 GTi Calloway Reply with quote

Nice car with low miles and ridiculously good condition. Is it even driven enough to enjoy, maybe not as it was for sale. BUT, it is a Rabbit (Golf) and for that amount of money you can pick up a new Golf R, albeit over priced IMHO.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1983 GTi Calloway Reply with quote

seems a very expensive way to familiarize yourself with 'torque steer'.
those tires aren't handling 200hp.
$38k, sure. 61k? too much. Build your own at that price point, & buy a hunting cabin too.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1983 GTi Calloway Reply with quote

Obviously, you have not tried to source Callaway items.

I too believe it's too much and certainly out of my price range. But then again, I drive a Callaway turbo Caddy. I sourced all the items back in 1990's. Cheap back then.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1983 GTi Calloway Reply with quote

Because Gollum.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1983 GTi Calloway Reply with quote

That much power is a good way to start going thru 020 trannies too.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1983 GTi Calloway Reply with quote

I doubt if any Callaway system is pushing close to 200hp. Owners may boast about that but I'm certain no calibrated dyno will prove that. The system is way too old and seriously outdated. The 8V head is not that great either.

020's can hold up to power, you just can't drag race them.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1983 GTi Calloway Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Enlighten me...

It amounts to this: One guy with deep pockets really wanted the car.

This doesn't mean that's now the market value of a Calloway GTI, it means $62K is what one buyer was willing to spend for that car. No different than a buyer paying $70K for an all-original, 38-mile Cabriolet.

It is a nice one though. Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1983 GTi Calloway Reply with quote

These cars are rarer now but the calloway put this one in a whole other category. This was the car someone wanted back in '83 and they now have the means to have it. For that dinero, my choice would be an A2 16v golf or scirocco and a second garage to park it in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: