Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Silly EMPI shifter adjustment....
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJones wrote:
... did your empi shifter have a plate under it like the stock shifters used too.

You don't use the stock VW reverse lock out plate with the above type shifter.

The Hurst-style shifter has the reverse lockout built in to the shifter base:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the hurst shifter too. Had it in my 65 bug. Worked flawlessly. I sold bug but kept shifter. I put it in my 70 bug and it does not work. If I try go into first, it won't go forward. But I can go into reverse WITHOUT having to use the trigger. like it's not made for this transmission. Nobody can figure this out

Is there a hurst for early and late model bugs? Like the scat drag fast. ?
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Silly EMPI shifter adjustment.... Reply with quote

Well, I could either toss up a new post, or bring this old post up from the grave.
Worked on this bug for 6 years, very close to driving but I have clutch issues (I think), and brakes. Lets discuss the clutch issue here.
68 standard. Replaced the shifter rod bushing, maybe year #3. Replaced forward transmission mount and rear tranny mounts, forgot what year but they are new. Replaced the guts to the shift coupler, maybe year 2. Replaced flywheel year 3, along with new clutch and pressure plate. Replaced bowden tube and throw out bearing around that time. Then after replacing all this stuff I raised the body and did a bunch of body work (heater channels, forward bulkhead, reskinned doors, etc).
So I wanted to get something a little bit more sporty than the stock shifter, so i got one of those with the T handle, a SCAT drag fast I think. Problem was with the T there was no room for my 6 foot 4 body and legs, and the steering wheel. So I bought one of these silly EMPI shifters. First gear through 4th works fine, however it grinds going into reverse. Read up on it through this forum, pulled the motor back out and looked for anything obvious, found nothing. Replaced the gland nut, put everything back together, stuck the motor back in the hole, still grinds.
I understand that reverse gears are straight cut, to get them to mesh they need to be stopped. The only old pieces are the shift rod, and the transmission. Everything else is new. I would like to pull the motor one last time and fix this, but not sure what new parts too replace with more new parts. Does the EMPI shifter have anything to do with this? I don't think I got around to even putting the SCAT in reverse because my leg was in the way. I guess I could stick it back in temporarily just to see.
Neither the SCAT or this EMPI have very much room for adjustment, I don't know if taking a dremel and opening the holes up a bit more will solve this? I don't remember the brand of clutch and pressure plate I put in it, should I just order a new good set and toss these? I gotta get this car going, Iowa winter is just around the corner and this thing needs to go into storage off site.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: