Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has anyone used Empi Gtv heads? 40mm intake, 35.5 mm exhaust
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71beetleconvertable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Has anyone used Empi Gtv heads? 40mm intake, 35.5 mm exhaust Reply with quote

Hi Folks

I am debating next steps for my 1915cc build and am interested to hear from anyone who has used this particular head
EMPI - GTV-2 HP CYLINDER HEAD - 40X35.5MM W/SINGLE HI-REV SPRINGS - BORED FOR 94MM
This head needed valve guide reaming after purchased new, then lapping of the valves (full disclosure, the engine lost compression after I overheated it) and, after restoring compression by lapping the valves, compression was lost in # 3 due to a dropped valve seat ( 40 minute drive and did not overheat).

I found a machinist and vw enthusiast who will re and re the exhaust seats and fabricate new seats in order to ensure proper interference fit but I have some concerns. I believe that this head is made in China there are common, and often strong views, that such products are made with inferior metals and should not be used. My supplier has not received returns or complaints about this product. So I am debati
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ng between fixing this head or assuming this heads metals are fundamentally flawed and therefor purchase new heads made in US.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Empi Gtv heads? 40mm intake, 35.5 mm exhaust Reply with quote

The problem with those heads is not the alloy, but everything else from the hardware used in them to the port shapes. I would normally say that you should just find another (better) set of heads, but since there are some availability issues you may want to repair these if you want to get on the road fast. I would ask around, maybe at AA to hear if they have a set of 500´s on the shelf.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Empi Gtv heads? 40mm intake, 35.5 mm exhaust Reply with quote

I am "concerned" about the alloy used but I have no proof one way or the other. Only time will tell.

The larger issue is the EMPI heads are not better than CB heads in any major way, so of course I will recommend CB heads instead if they are available.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Empi Gtv heads? 40mm intake, 35.5 mm exhaust Reply with quote

71beetleconvertable wrote:
(full disclosure, the engine lost compression after I overheated it)

If the engine has been overheated, ALL of the seats are now loose, and it’s only a matter of time before the others come out. Normally replacing all 8 seats gets close to the cost of another head, but like Alstrup mentioned, you may have issues obtaining other heads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71beetleconvertable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone used Empi Gtv heads? 40mm intake, 35.5 mm exhaust Reply with quote

thanks everyone, the idea of all seats being a potential future problem seemed likely so I'll check availability of someone to repair or a vendor to replace. We just had our first snow fall of the year here so I have some time. Thanks again for your assistance
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: