Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

34 Pict-3 Oversized Mixture Screw
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anky1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:40 am    Post subject: 34 Pict-3 Oversized Mixture Screw Reply with quote

Hi all,

I’m trying to optimise my mileage in my ‘72 Superbug. The best I’ve gotten is about 15 mpg (~15L/100km), which isn’t terrible but not great given it’s a fully rebuilt motor.

So I checked my 34 Pict-3 for servicing. I never thought it to be unusual, but the mixture screw is massive and sits in a sleeve wedged into the carburettor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Must have been a jury-rigged solution. I tried to replace it with the smaller screw in the servicing kit, but it just spun freely and took a good hour to get back out again. So I put it back in, but as you would expect, there is a vacuum leak detectable when spraying carburettor cleaner all over the mixture screw.

When I pulled it apart, it had some hard red epoxy around it that must have been there to stop the leak. Any ideas on what I can use to seal up that gap without damaging the carburettor body?
anthax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: 34 Pict-3 Oversized Mixture Screw Reply with quote

Source another carb and rebuild it. Or if it's possible to put in a small thread insert.
But 15L/100km? That is horrible! My 2L drinks just over 0,6L/100km. o.O
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: 34 Pict-3 Oversized Mixture Screw Reply with quote

Put some sealant between the carb and the insert. See if that stops the leak.

If it does not, remove the screw and take it to a machine shop to have a small cut made on it to seat an o-ring. Between, these 2 options your leak should be solved.

I’m assuming the screw has been shaped appropriately to match the original - u can compare the tip with the new one.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 34 Pict-3 Oversized Mixture Screw Reply with quote

15 mpg is pretty horrible. I get 30, and probably don't have the best tune. I don't really take care of my car but it just keeps on going..

There might be ways for a skilled machinist to repair that, but honestly, I'd just try to find a new carb. OG ones properly rebuilt are probably best. I'm running a PICT34-3 from Volksbiz I'm happy with.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: